• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry P2 Prep.

Reaction score
The area under the graph (Boltzmann distribution) represents the amount of molecules which either possess enough energy to overcome the activation or not. The amount of molecules to the left of the activation energy is the amount that HAS the required activation energy.
Uhm... Hope that helps.
mmmm xtremly confused with the graph and how to explain it well yu this Ea barrier(activation energy) on the right hand side they shaded and it represents these fraction of molecules have energy equal to or greater then activation energy i dunt really understand boltzman distribution :p
few things i rembr ws smthing related to the reactant molecules colliding with each other in correct orrientation,molecules needs sufficent energy to form products etc etc....then the graph...its like as yu increase the temperature there is like less fraction of molecules having Ea equal to or greater...
p.s i dunt evn knw what i am saying

Reaction score
hi.. I wanna ask a question abt organic chem..

Can alkane react with NaOH(aq) to form Alcohol??
ermm all i know is that alkanes undergoes
1)combustion
2)free radical substitution
3)cracking

so id say nope :D

Reaction score
mmmm xtremly confused with the graph and how to explain it well yu this Ea barrier(activation energy) on the right hand side they shaded and it represents these fraction of molecules have energy equal to or greater then activation energy i dunt really understand boltzman distribution :p
few things i rembr ws smthing related to the reactant molecules colliding with each other in correct orrientation,molecules needs sufficent energy to form products etc etc....then the graph...its like as yu increase the temperature there is like less fraction of molecules having Ea equal to or greater...
p.s i dunt evn knw what i am saying

Well the boltzman curve is an estimate of the energies possessed by molecules in a gas. Each molecule has it's own energy, some have more, some have a little less, but this is distributed About a mean; which corresponds to the peak of the boltzman curve. The no of molecules to the right of the Ea line have energy greater than the activation energy and can react. As you increase the temp. the peak of the curve shifts to the right and is lower than the peak at a lower temp. When the temp increases the area to the right of the Ea increases and so there is a greater no. of molecules now with energy more than Ea and so the reaction rate is faster.

Reaction score
Well the boltzman curve is an estimate of the energies possessed by molecules in a gas. Each molecule has it's own energy, some have more, some have a little less, but this is distributed About a mean; which corresponds to the peak of the boltzman curve. The no of molecules to the right of the Ea line have energy grater than the activation energy and can react. As you increase the temp. the peak of the curve shifts to the right and is lower than the peak at a lower temp. When the temp increases the area to the right of the Ea increases and so there is a greater no. of molecules now with energy more than Ea and so the reaction rate is faster.
so you mean the are on the right which is shaded will b more as we keep increasing the temperature ?

Reaction score
mmm
1)whats the advantage and disadavatages of fuel cells compared to combustion of hydrogen fuels ?

2)how reaction of esterification is carried out in a laboratory/school?

3)Eutrophication?

:D yea thats all

Anyone ?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks a lot littlecloud!

Just one question.

ii) use the formula Q= m*c* delT where, m is the mass of water in the solution. c is the specific heat capacity (4.18) of water and delT is the change in temp. [ for the mass of water, mass= density* volm. As the density of water is 1gcm^-3 the mass of water is the same as it's volume in the question]
so Q = 30* 4.18 * (26.2-21) = 652.08 J

Are we supposed to take the specific heat capacity of water as 4.18 or 4.2? o-o; I always thought its supposed to be taken to 1 decimal place...

Reaction score
product - reactan or reactant - product....

lol you can change signs if your doing the hesses law this is the general formula from the book :p

signs are changed depending on the direction if yu use hesses law(know its defination) that the total enthalphy change in a chemical reaction is independent of the route by which the chemical reaction takes place as long as the initial and final conditions are same :)

Reaction score
"heat under reflux" should be more reliable. Small-molecule halogenoalkanes are usually in gaseous phase under room temperature. Reflux can ensure that the haloalkane is kept inside the container during the entire reaction.
aright thanks!