• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry P2 Prep.

Reaction score
can sumone tell me when we react phosphorous with oxygen when is it P205,P203 AND P406/P4010
depends if in excess oxygen then P4O10 whose emperical formula is P2O5 so its the same but if in limited oxygen than P406 whose emperical formula is P2O3 so the same again so two different compounds are made actually so its a mixture of phosphates but in our syllabus it would be better if you just use Phosphurus (V) valency and write P plus O2 gives P4O10 that is P2O5

Reaction score
Yeh it happens with Bromine too.. and I said earlier when I posted these, I'm sorry if I missed any so just fix the list. I didn't go through esters or carboxylics so I probably missed stuff from there.. and I thought aldehyde--> carboxylic was pretty obvious but oh well.. and I didn't have heat reflux for nucleophilic substitution with HBr in my notes, so..
Phosphorus can react with Cl I and Br to make PCl3 or PI3 or PBr3 respectively and they all react with alchols to give halagenoalkanes :) this is in responce to Jaf :D

Reactions: Jaf
Reaction score
"Heating under reflux means heating with a condenser placed vertically in the flask to prevent loss of volatile substances from the mixture"

Thats what it means. More or less, similar to distillation.
Dude, suppose you want an aldehyde, from the oxidation of a primary alcohol, the condition will be to use potassium dichromate solution and "distill" the rxn mixture. Not reflux, hence reflux is NOT similar to distillation, and it might not be the "exact" opposite but for a fact it prevents distillation so I presume you can't say they're the same....

Reaction score
Dude, suppose you want an aldehyde, from the oxidation of a primary alcohol, the condition will be to use potassium dichromate solution and "distill" the rxn mixture. Not reflux, hence reflux is NOT similar to distillation, and it might not be the "exact" opposite but for a fact it prevents distillation so I presume you can't say they're the same....
trust me that girl got it, and now she's gone to sleep .. so no point in quoting now.

Reaction score
trust me that girl got it, and now she's gone to sleep .. so no point in quoting now.
Haha, I'm kinda new =P and don't really want people to not know basic stuff , right before the exam ... Oh well I have p5 tomorrow as well T_T

Reaction score
Haha, I'm kinda new =P and don't really want people to not know basic stuff , right before the exam ... Oh well I have p5 tomorrow as well T_T
I just started looking at the p5 papers, wtf?! Im so lost! the markschemes are like uber-useless!

Reaction score
errrm....apart 4rm alkenes what other hydrocarbon or carbonyl compounds can be polymerised??

Reaction score
that means you're giving it heat by radiation or a bunsen burner or a reactor.. or anything.. but not refluxing it, and so if the condition is meant to be reflux, its important that you write reflux.

Organic chem reactions that use heat reflux:
  1. Nucleophilic substitution of alcohols with a mixture of red phosphorus and Bromine/Iodine
  2. Oxidation of primary alcohols to carboxylic acids
  3. Oxidation of secondary alcohols to ketones
  4. Nucleophilic substitution of halogenoalkanes with NaOH to form alcohols
  5. Nucleophilic substitution of halogenoalkanes with KCN to form nitriles
  6. Nitriles forming caboxylic acids using dil. HCl (Hydrolysis)
If I missed anything.. sorry
nucleophilic substition of halogenoalkanes with NaOH to alkenes

Reaction score
can ay1 plz explain da products formed when smthing is reacted with 2,4 DNPH?
in case of aldehydes and ketones 2,4 DNPH reacts similar to the nucleophilic addition of HCN and gives a hydrogen to Oxygen in carbonyl group and than the whole rest of the molecule is joined to the carbon like addition of CN and than the OH and H on nitrogen which bonds with carbon of aldehyde or ketone form water so condensation occours and finally C forms double bond with N this organic compound is formed as ORANGE precipitate :)