• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS level Chemitsry

Reaction score
It is one of the simple topic, Examiner Only focus about ideal and real behavior of gases. Just 2 assumptions of kinetic theory are most important, anyhow, i have notes but bad luck my scanner is not working, about any serious issue, u can discuss, i ll try to explain.

Reaction score
Can you please explain to the behaviour of ideal and non-ideal gases, with examples and numericals related to ideal gases?

Reaction score
An ideal gas is one that behaves all the postulates of Kinetic theory of gases .e.g. elastic collisions, negligible forces and negligible volume. It obeys the ideal gas equation , PV = nRT

A non-ideal gas or a real gas does not obey the ideal gas equation or postulates of the kinetic theory of gases. A real gas has forces existing between its molecules/ atoms. And collisions are not perfectly elastic, Ke before collision is not equal to Ke after collision.

A real gas can be made ideal at high temperature and low pressure. Both conditions result in negligible forces of attraction b/w gas particals + negligible volume of gas particles as compared to the volume of vessel.

Increase in relative molecular/atomic mass of the gas changes a gas from ideal to a non-ideal one. Since, increase in Mr or Ar results in increased van der Waal forces, so increasing the attraction b/w gas particles thereby nullifying one of the postulates of the Kinetic theory of gases.

Hope that's enough :)