• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Level ECONOMICS P1 (Discussion) - M/J/2013

How was the paper?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Can u give any reason as to why real exchange rate appreciated....

I agree that exchange rate improved by 10% and that domestic prices fall by 10%.... but brother study the effect of fall in prices on E.R. When prices fall, we are able to export more goods and services.... so the demand of our currency will shift outwards making it strong and causing it to appreciate :)

Reaction score
no worries. :) I remember the question not my answer :p well that would make it appreciation.
also it was stated that the mexican inflation rate went down but us inflation stayed the same.
that' s appreciation again, i think

You're right. Appreciation and appreciation, because even after the inflation took effect, the peso's value had risen by 0.1 . What did you write for that question about something making the trade deficit a significant problem? Question 26 I guess?

Reaction score
You're right. Appreciation and appreciation, because even after the inflation took effect, the peso's value had risen by 0.1 . What did you write for that question about something making the trade deficit a significant problem? Question 26 I guess?
That should be, C, the raw materials one.

Reaction score
Yup. That was an easy question, just had to plug in the numbers. What about the question about the rate of inflation decreasing?! We were given price indices for different years.

That was option B. Cause the rate of inflation first fell in year 2 (option B)... right?

Reaction score
I agree that exchange rate improved by 10% and that domestic prices fall by 10%.... but brother study the effect of fall in prices on E.R. When prices fall, we are able to export more goods and services.... so the demand of our currency will shift outwards making it strong and causing it to appreciate :)
Brother ...again u r falling short of basics....just type real effective exchange rate on google...it is far from what u are saying...have a look at a photo I have posted......

Reaction score
Thnks for telling that most of my friends went for a but unfortunately they are wrng
I got that right! :p

Reaction score
Brother ...again u r falling short of basics....just type real effective exchange rate on google...it is far from what u are saying...have a look at a photo I have posted......
May be i m freaking out :p u can ask someone else and let me know as well :)

Reaction score
I Wen With The Imported Raw Material Being Export. :)

Reaction score
what did u guys write on the current account thing..was it a-it moved into defecit or b-difference of exported goods increased

Reaction score
does anyone remember the answer of that question which was related to social benefits exceeding pvt or social cost something like that??

Reaction score
What was the answer to the last one? Said the country experienced a balance of payments surplus. What would the govt. have to do to keep the "Fixed" exchange rate at its target? The options were decreasing govt. borrowing, decreasing govt. spending, don't remember option C, and decreasing the money supply.

Reaction score
What was the answer to the last one? Said the country experienced a balance of payments surplus. What would the govt. have to do to keep the "Fixed" exchange rate at its target? The options were decreasing govt. borrowing, decreasing govt. spending, don't remember option C, and decreasing the money supply.

From what I remember it was C (decrease in interest rates). A surplus would mean that their currency would tend to appreciate. So in order to keep the exchange rate at the same value, the gov will have to reduce the value of its exchange rate. A decrease in the interest rates would lead to reduced demand for the currency, and so cause its value to fall. So C should be the answer..

Reaction score
From what I remember it was C (decrease in interest rates). A surplus would mean that their currency would tend to appreciate. So in order to keep the exchange rate at the same value, the gov will have to reduce the value of its exchange rate. A decrease in the interest rates would lead to reduced demand for the currency, and so cause its value to fall. So C should be the answer..
what about the question that concerned the year when inflation fell? i went with D. 2012?