• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS permutation & combination questions .help required!

Reaction score
1) A word is made out of 7 letters of EXAMPLE n some order. how many diff. words are possible if, the two letters E are next to each other?

2) 3 married couples , Mr Mrs lee, Mr Mrs martin, Mr Mrs shah stand in line for a photograph to be taken , find the diff. ways in which these six ppl can be arranged if (i) each man stands next to his wife (ii) no man stands next to his wife .

3) June 02/Q5(iii)
4)june03/ Q5(iii)
5) june05/Q7/b(ii)

please answer with some details because I'm having too many problems in s1 and specially this topic! thanks for your co-operation! :)

Reaction score
1) The word EXAMPLE contains 7 letters(objects). Take the 2 'E's as one object since they are together. Therefore there are 6 objects now. The answer is 6! = 720 because the 2 'E's taken as one object cannot be interchanged.

2) (i) The diff. ways in which these six ppl can be arranged if each man stands next to his wife
There are 3 couples implies it is 3! ,but each couple contains a man and a woman, then the answer is 3! x 2! = 12

(ii) No man stands next to his wife ---> Total no of ways of arranging the 6 ppl LESS no of ways if each man stands next to his wife
6! - 12 = 708

For the other ques. consult the mark schemes. But if help is still needed, post again!

Reaction score
anyways, thank you helper ..
i'm almost done with the past papers of p1 and s1 ..can anyone of you please guide me that what should i do next to to have a firm position to secure an A grade ..

Reaction score
Relax. Read a couple of examiner reports again. Attempt some qsts which you find to trick you the most.

For maths the recipe for getting an A is simple: Understand the concept, give more weight to papers rather than book qsts, read examiner reports. And go with a fresh mind (means you sleep well the night before the exam).

Reaction score
M stuk in permutation combinations too...hw cn i prepare apart frm s1 an d past papers...know any gud online math techer??

Reaction score
S1 and Past Papers are the only way to prepare S1. If 'apart' means any other p1/p2/p3/m1/m2 then lemme knw of any specific topic here. I'll see to it.

Reaction score
for q2, ii,
no man stands nxt to his wife,
M M M W W W

so,
no of ways to arrange the man, 3!
no of ways to arrange the couples, 4!

3! x 4! = 144

i not sure about the method thou, but i'll ask my math lecturer later.

good luck! ;)