• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS physics, recent question on power and resistance, cannot understand?

Reaction score
Another question, if I may ask: In a graph what shows the random nature of a radioactive particle?, the fluctuation or its decreasing gradient??

Reaction score
Well for d (i) Since P =V^2/R
and R = 0 therefore, P =0

as for d (ii) if the resistance is infinite then P =V^2/ infinity
and the answer of anything divided by infinity is zero. Hence the power will still be 0.

Reaction score
okay
Well for d (i) Since P =V^2/R
and R = 0 therefore, P =0

as for d (ii) if the resistance is infinite then P =V^2/ infinity
and the answer of anything divided by infinity is zero. Hence the power will still be 0.
okay, the second part makes sense, but for the first part if, R=0, wont P be undefined(you cannot have a denominator as 0)?

Reaction score
okay
okay, the second part makes sense, but for the first part if, R=0, wont P be undefined(you cannot have a denominator as 0)?
No it's going to be zero because any number divided by zero would be zero.
and if that doesn't make sense then look at it this way, if the variable resistor's resistance is 0 then no voltage will be able to pass through it, hence the Power will be zero since no work is done.

Reaction score
No it's going to be zero because any number divided by zero would be zero.
and if that doesn't make sense then look at it this way, if the variable resistor's resistance is 0 then no voltage will be able to pass through it, hence the Power will be zero since no work is done.
'Any number divided by zero is NOT zero, its UNDEFINED, at least thats what i knew!' , the second way, was actually my first basis of reasoning when solving, and I couldn't agree more, but dusn't this statement contradict the first answer!