• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Unit 3B Biology :) ==How was the exams? comment here

Reaction score
It was a fair paper, easy for me
Mcq it was D because of its round edge and it was white (meristem where mitosis takes place the most)
For the economic I wrote paragraph 1 because it said that the new blood being made is less costly than the blood donation through transfusion
For the question after the plotting graph for 0 conc i got 11.9mm when extended the best fit line to 0
For the sketching it was a bar graph 2 bars next to each other in each pressure and write the key of the bars aside
And for the mitotic thingy I got 6 cells over 84 x 100 which gave me 7.12 wrote it as 7 percent
Goodluck for the coming exams everyone

Reaction score
every body keeps saying they drew bar fraphs..how can you draw that if the clasees are continuous...pressure varies..unlike if it were cat dog fish on the x axis..thennyou would draw cars cause its completly diff classes....dnnw though..my advice is just dont rely on jan 2013 papaer just cause they drew bars

Reaction score
every body keeps saying they drew bar fraphs..how can you draw that if the clasees are continuous...pressure varies..unlike if it were cat dog fish on the x axis..thennyou would draw cars cause its completly diff classes....dnnw though..my advice is just dont rely on jan 2013 papaer just cause they drew bars

Agree! Its not a bar graph!

Reaction score
Both variables were continuous. The graph in the 2013 paper was one with a discrete x-axis variable.
So, it was the conc of oxygen againt partial pre. The two line -one dotted and the other straight- started from the origin.
1 - correct choice of graph
2- axis labelled correctly
3- lines shapes

...i think!

Reaction score
but for some reason, either all of you are wrong or I am but I got a large value for the mitotic index.
just asking did you guys include cells which were in the prophase stage - i think you know that the chromosome become visible once the cell enters the prophase stage and the genetic material condenses. there were many cells with a small dark spot which was the nucleus BUT many had a large dark circle in the centre which I interpreted as prophase and included in my counting.

in my opinion the paper was a disaster, especially as the first exam....hahahha expecting somewhere around 26
really hope grdboundies are low like they were in may 2012

good luck guys with tomorrow chem!!!

Reaction score
lol i think too instead of dotting one i just labelled the two...hopefully they still give me marks
e, post: 518251, member: 53824"]Both variables were continuous. The graph in the 2013 paper was one with a discrete x-axis variable.
So, it was the conc of oxygen againt partial pre. The two line -one dotted and the other straight- started from the origin.
1 - correct choice of graph
2- axis labelled correctly
3- lines shapes

...i think![/quote]

Reaction score
ye thats the thing
[qwhich confusednme.dark spots means prophase has started...that confused me but i checked the indexes on next ppage and they were prettymlow..lol so i just counted actual dividing ones93, member: 53824"]but for some reason, either all of you are wrong or I am but I got a large value for the mitotic index.
just asking did you guys include cells which were in the prophase stage - i think you know that the chromosome become visible once the cell enters the prophase stage and the genetic material condenses. there were many cells with a small dark spot which was the nucleus BUT many had a large dark circle in the centre which I interpreted as prophase and included in my counting.

in my opinion the paper was a disaster, especially as the first exam....hahahha expecting somewhere around 26

good luck guys with tomorrow chem!!![/quote]

Reaction score
thats why i dont like bio unit 3 they bring some ambigious questions whichnhave unsure answers

Reaction score
hey just a question, the paragraph number was written next to each paragraph write?

Reaction score
but for some reason, either all of you are wrong or I am but I got a large value for the mitotic index.

good luck guys with tomorrow chem!!!
yeah i also got a higher number than most because i included cells in prophase, i got like 9 i think

Reaction score
Genius "winking* wish i could say that ____well then you will be my tutor_" please say YES!!!!!!! (-----_______-----)

HELP ME TOOO M ALSO DOIN CHEM TOMORRW!!!!!!!

Reaction score
first one was a line graph for sure.. showing negative correlation.. seconde one theres a dispute... most people say it was line graph since it was discontinous data.. i on the other hand drew that double bar chart... oxygen con on y and partial pressure on x..... drew 2 bars next to each other.. had a key for each.. incase i am wrong ill get 2/3.. or most likely if examiners go lenient theyll give marks for both graphs...

Bar graph with double bars next to each other is best one to use :)

Reaction score
Genius "winking* wish i could say that ____well then you will be my tutor_" please say YES!!!!!!! (-----_______-----)

HELP ME TOOO M ALSO DOIN CHEM TOMORRW!!!!!!!

haha sure i'll help you