• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Becoming a mathematician in Pakistan

Reaction score
Salam, I am someone who is very passionate about maths and physics and who loves to do problems. My o'lvl result is 9A* and 1 A with A*s in both maths and add maths. Moreover, I gave the NSTC 9 test in maths and have been selected among the top fifty in the country. Inshallah I hope to represent Pak at the International Maths Olympiad 2013 by passing through all stages of NSTC. Okay enough with my bio., so I want to become a mathematician. Here are my querries:
-What is the scenario of maths research in Pakistan?
-what unis are best in Pak for maths study?(though i would surely try to go abroad but in case ...)
-Does anyone of you guys here at xpf know anyone studying maths at uni and could you give me email or fb profile name?
-Anyone who got into IMO Pak team in the past?
Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Assalam-o-Alaikum
It's very good to hear that Pakistan has got so much talent, specially in the field of education and the students are able to achieve high grades.
First of all, Congratulations to you for marvelous result.
I'm no expert but Why don't you try to do major's in Maths if you're so keep about it? Take Further Maths in A levels and try to go abroad for further studies.

Reaction score
Assalam-o-Alaikum
It's very good to hear that Pakistan has got so much talent, specially in the field of education and the students are able to achieve high grades.
First of all, Congratulations to you for marvelous result.
I'm no expert but Why don't you try to do major's in Maths if you're so keep about it? Take Further Maths in A levels and try to go abroad for further studies.
Thanks! Well I would be considering this option with a high priority. I will apply abroad but in case I do not get admission or any other reason, where in pakistan should I study? Is NUST's bs math program good quality wise? What about lums and gc university? And moreover, i would have to self study further maths or get help from someone so i would definitely study it at a levels as i have already thought over it. Does further maths give you an advantage if you wish to study in pakistan? you could refer someone here at xp forum who you think can help me with this if you wish. Thanks for the reply though. :)

Reaction score
Thanks! Well I would be considering this option with a high priority. I will apply abroad but in case I do not get admission or any other reason, shere in pakistan should I study? Is NUST's bs math program good quality wise? What about lums and gc university? And moreover, i would have to self study further maths or get help from someone so i would definitely study it at a levels as i have already thought over it. Does further maths give you an advantage if you wish to study in pakistan?
If you take further Maths, you'll be highly credited in International universities as well as pakistan.
I don't know about NUST but I do think that LUMS have such kind of program. I'll fill you in with details in sometime.

Reaction score
Salam, I am someone who is very passionate about maths and physics and who loves to do problems. My o'lvl result is 9A* and 1 A with A*s in both maths and add maths. Moreover, I gave the NSTC 9 test in maths and have been selected among the top fifty in the country. Inshallah I hope to represent Pak at the International Maths Olympiad 2013 by passing through all stages of NSTC. Okay enough with my bio., so I want to become a mathematician. Here are my querries:
-What is the scenario of maths research in Pakistan?
-what unis are best in Pak for maths study?(though i would surely try to go abroad but in case ...)
-Does anyone of you guys here at xpf know anyone studying maths at uni and could you give me email or fb profile name?
-Anyone who got into IMO Pak team in the past?
Thank you very much!
U've opened an old wound here. I am also very passionate about maths and physics but couldn't go to this field due to some personal issues.
- I'm really sorry to say that Research in Maths is nearly negligible in Pakistan. Mostly people go in this field if they intend to become a teacher or (a more sorry situation) when they don't get admission anywhere else!
- Try as hard as u can to go abroad if u really want to pursue ur field in the true sense. In pakistan there are plenty universities offering bs maths, like GCU, PU, NUST etc.
- This guy will be starting his second year in bs maths (NUST) https://www.facebook.com/omer.javaid.3
- I also gave the NSTC because a friend forced me to. Anyways, couldn't make it upto where u are. So, I can understand ur worth and love for maths :)
One of my Classmates did represent Pakistan in the 51st IMO. Here he is: https://www.facebook.com/waqas.ahmed.946954

All the very best for your future :)

Reaction score
Thanks! Well I would be considering this option with a high priority. I will apply abroad but in case I do not get admission or any other reason, where in pakistan should I study? Is NUST's bs math program good quality wise? What about lums and gc university? And moreover, i would have to self study further maths or get help from someone so i would definitely study it at a levels as i have already thought over it. Does further maths give you an advantage if you wish to study in pakistan? you could refer someone here at xp forum who you think can help me with this if you wish. Thanks for the reply though. :)
I took further maths ( did not give the exam, again due to some personal issues)
Trust me, that was one of the best decisions (studying further maths) i made in life.
No matter where u go, this subject, and possibly an A* in it, will open a world of opportunities for u!
I'm not sure, but personally I think that LUMS' maths program is the best. Then comes NUST.
Still, it'll be better for u if u go abroad for this program.

Reaction score
U've opened an old wound here. I am also very passionate about maths and physics but couldn't go to this field due to some personal issues.
- I'm really sorry to say that Research in Maths is nearly negligible in Pakistan. Mostly people go in this field if they intend to become a teacher or (a more sorry situation) when they don't get admission anywhere else!
- Try as hard as u can to go abroad if u really want to pursue ur field in the true sense. In pakistan there are plenty universities offering bs maths, like GCU, PU, NUST etc.
- This guy will be starting his second year in bs maths (NUST) https://www.facebook.com/omer.javaid.3
- I also gave the NSTC because a friend forced me to. Anyways, couldn't make it upto where u are. So, I can understand ur worth and love for maths :)
One of my Classmates did represent Pakistan in the 51st IMO. Here he is: https://www.facebook.com/waqas.ahmed.946954

All the very best for your future :)
I took further maths ( did not give the exam, again due to some personal issues)
Trust me, that was one of the best decisions (studying further maths) i made in life.
No matter where u go, this subject, and possibly an A* in it, will open a world of opportunities for u!
I'm not sure, but personally I think that LUMS' maths program is the best. Then comes NUST.
Still, it'll be better for u if u go abroad for this program.
Thank you very much for the reply! I have sent the two persons a message! perhaps I should really do further maths then!