• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIO 5090/62 help

Reaction score
i guess we had to write as to how to extend the experiment to further investigate the Width of the leaves, and that too shows the Development and growth of leaves!
I wrote to keep the same Plant in their designated conditions (one in sunlight and the other in shade)
give them same external conditions ie water, minerals ion and abundance of air!
leave them for a few weeks to grow and then take leaves again from them to investigate further! And Dont pick all the leaves,, leave a few behind!
...this is totally right ..and i did the same ...

Reaction score
ahan ! it can be right too......in atp u just need to write what according to u it could be...its more like they are giving marks on our observation ...and every one thinks differently ...i wish i could ask the C.I.E council that what they really do with the grading stuff...

True...... i hope they take it easy on all of us..... The question wasn't exactly clear....:confused:

Reaction score
Guys What i remember of the question, The first Line stated that a students is trying to investigate the WIDTH OF THE LEAVES!.. Starch test and light intensities dont help in the leaf width!...

sorry to break it to you
but if light decreases the size of lamina changes that was clearly visible there and nope the test was never defined the purpose i suppose..:)

Reaction score
True...... i hope they take it easy on all of us..... The question wasn't exactly clear....:confused:
ohh yeah and one more thing ..when they feel like that almost everyone is having trouble with a specific question they grant u full marks ...

Reaction score
you guys must understand that to extend the experiment means to do something extra to make it more accurate or reliable and to provide further proof for the same aim.
  • keeping that in mind u could easily get a mark for: taking measurements of a lager quantity of leaves and hence obtaining a better average.
  • using the width to measure the leaf size is also a very crude method so u could improve that by saying: use a square centimeter grid to calculate the surface area of the leaf more accurately. that would hopefully give the second mark.
  • the third mark could have been gotten by saying that u use two genetically identical plants kept in shade and light respectively so that the possibility that the differences are caused by genes is cancelled out.
there may be other possible ways to extend the experiment and any valid point that makes sense is usually accepted; though i highly doubt that the starch test would score a mark.

Reaction score
Nah, mean is exact. Of course, you have to round off if its a continuous decimal but in case of 6.25 and such, it has to be left off like that. Plus, I saw something like this calculation in a mark scheme(sorry, don't remember which year) and it wasn't rounded off.

It is possible that whole numbered answers will be accepted in this question aswell since the mean asked for the average number of the CORRECT RESPONSES by the student. Your right that mean is the exact value obtained for accuracy, but a student cant give 9.75 responses, I mean he was 75% yes and 25% no? :) but who knows, like everyone else said we'll just have to wait until the mark scheme is published!

Reaction score
i wrote exactly the same, copy/paste :p
maeen , the experiment was the effect of LIGHT on the DEVELOPMENT of the leaves.
when we do starch test, we know the amount of carbohydrates in the leaf and thus, the development/growth :)
homer simpson wrote it, gives me some confidence :p

Reaction score
The Bio paper this time was a little different then the standard ATP papers. No graphs, and a strange extension question :p.

1) In Question 1, the first table thingy, in which we had to measure the width of the leaves. We had to write in mm, marks will be deducted for writing in cm, although they wont cut the whole thing. And btw, would they cut marks if the mean in the second column turned out to be 69.3 instead of 69? Coz in measuring questions the examiners give a range of values, not a specific value, like that bean question in the past papers.

2) Then there was the extension question. Fricking wierd question, if ya ask me, but you could write about iodine test IF YOU RELATE THE STARCH FORMED TO DEVELOPMENT OF LEAF. Dunno about different light intensities though. You could also have written 'bout using more leaves to improve accuracy of mean, and perhaps also about keeping all other conditions like water given the same. Unfortunately, i highly doubt measuring length instead of width would avail a mark.

3) Next general diff question was the last part of Q.1, the one in which we had to explain how the features of both leaves suited their environment. One was relating to photosynthesis, but wt about the other mark? Transpiration? :p

4) In the nervous system question, i think i may or may not have screwed up the one mark answer, the one on which why the skin is touched 10 times, by saying tht it was to increase accuracy of the mean value.......and fingertips were more sensitive due to the presence of more touch receptors/nerve endings etc in the fingertips.

5) Tha food tests question: Colours were blue, blue, yellow brown/brown. TO ALL THE CONFUSED OUT THERE, IODINE IS NOT BLUE BLACK, I ASSURE YOU!!!:p. A small amount of reducing sugars were present, a small amount of protein and a large amount of starch.

6) Then i think it was the labelling question? Chromosome was the black squiggly thingy, cytoplasm was the immediate area around the squiggles.
Second answer was MEOISIS. As for the third question, the one about how this process is important, a lotta guys is saying to write about genetic variability and adaptation to environmental conditions. BUT, in the past papers an exact same question has come, and in it we HAD TO WRITE ABOUT HAPLOID CHROMOSOMES PLUS HAPLOID CHROMOSOMES EQUALS DIPLOID ZYGOTE.

So i guess tht covers it :D. These are my own views anyway......

Reaction score
The Bio paper this time was a little different then the standard ATP papers. No graphs, and a strange extension question :p.

1) In Question 1, the first table thingy, in which we had to measure the width of the leaves. We had to write in mm, marks will be deducted for writing in cm, although they wont cut the whole thing. And btw, would they cut marks if the mean in the second column turned out to be 69.3 instead of 69? Coz in measuring questions the examiners give a range of values, not a specific value, like that bean question in the past papers.

2) Then there was the extension question. Fricking wierd question, if ya ask me, but you could write about iodine test IF YOU RELATE THE STARCH FORMED TO DEVELOPMENT OF LEAF. Dunno about different light intensities though. You could also have written 'bout using more leaves to improve accuracy of mean, and perhaps also about keeping all other conditions like water given the same. Unfortunately, i highly doubt measuring length instead of width would avail a mark.

3) Next general diff question was the last part of Q.1, the one in which we had to explain how the features of both leaves suited their environment. One was relating to photosynthesis, but wt about the other mark? Transpiration? :p

4) In the nervous system question, i think i may or may not have screwed up the one mark answer, the one on which why the skin is touched 10 times, by saying tht it was to increase accuracy of the mean value.......and fingertips were more sensitive due to the presence of more touch receptors/nerve endings etc in the fingertips.

5) Tha food tests question: Colours were blue, blue, yellow brown/brown. TO ALL THE CONFUSED OUT THERE, IODINE IS NOT BLUE BLACK, I ASSURE YOU!!!:p. A small amount of reducing sugars were present, a small amount of protein and a large amount of starch.

6) Then i think it was the labelling question? Chromosome was the black squiggly thingy, cytoplasm was the immediate area around the squiggles.
Second answer was MEOISIS. As for the third question, the one about how this process is important, a lotta guys is saying to write about genetic variability and adaptation to environmental conditions. BUT, in the past papers an exact same question has come, and in it we HAD TO WRITE ABOUT HAPLOID CHROMOSOMES PLUS HAPLOID CHROMOSOMES EQUALS DIPLOID ZYGOTE.

So i guess tht covers it :D. These are my own views anyway......
1) we dont know about that yet . many wrote in decimals while other in whole numbers
3) i didnt understand what you wrote . we had to compare the features given us above.
like the the leaf in shade had more chloroplasts because ---- (1 mark)
the leaf in sunlight had more chloroplasts because ------ (1 mark)
the leaf in sunlight had thicker cuticle because ------ (1 mark)

Reaction score
Wait a sec? Cuticle? Where did tht cuticle come from? Wasnt the question about the thickness of leaf???
And by photosynthesis i meant tht leaves in sunlight require less choloroplasts because etc etc etc.

plz answer abt tht cuticle thingy! im breaking a sweat!

Reaction score
Wait a sec? Cuticle? Where did tht cuticle come from? Wasnt the question about the thickness of leaf???
And by photosynthesis i meant tht leaves in sunlight require less choloroplasts because etc etc etc.

plz answer abt tht cuticle thingy! im breaking a sweat!
obviously the thickness of the leaf means its cuticle .

Reaction score
Ah im not entering this discussion. No use increasing tension during exams.....