• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Bio ATP 2014

Reaction score
Hello people, there was a question in today's Bio paper (for 1 mark indeed!) relating the test for confirming that the diagram in the picture given was truly a fruit. So please can anyone suggest possible correct answers for this question?

Reaction score
Sir, today was a question in the bio atp related to boiling of cabbage, so where did that green colour come from?
It cant be chlorophyll because it dissolves in ethanol only!

Reaction score
Sir, today was a question in the bio atp related to boiling of cabbage, so where did that green colour come from?
It cant be chlorophyll because it dissolves in ethanol only!
Plus cabbage doesnot photosynthesise
I think that it is its characteristic colour like a dye which diffuses out of the denatured membrane

Reaction score
Plus cabbage doesnot photosynthesise
I think that it is its characteristic colour like a dye which diffuses out of the denatured membrane
It was not about chlorophyll ..it was about the cell membrane... The cell membrane becomes fragile when heated a lot...the cell membrane in that case broke and the cell contents came out into the boiling water...the cell contents were green... As simple as that...
By the way.., what was the answer of that part in which we had to suggest what should be kept the same when experimenting with oil?...??...?.. I realllly want to know that

Reaction score
The answer to that cabbage green part? :(
It had to be chlorphyll. Because CHLOROPHYLL is what makes plants green. It is the GREEN PIGMENT. Nothing else is green!

I wrote that due to boiling with water, cuticle will be removed, and water will move into the cells and stuff. :3

Reaction score

How did the cell contents come out? How is it possible? Why did the cell membrane allow that? How is that even possible?

When we boil a leaf in water, before starch test, nothing like that happens.
When we boil it in ALCOHOL, it gets de-colourized.

So here we boiled cabbage in water, and it gave a green color to the water :/

Reaction score
How did the cell contents come out? How is it possible? Why did the cell membrane allow that? How is that even possible?

When we boil a leaf in water, before starch test, nothing like that happens.
When we boil it in ALCOHOL, it gets de-colourized.

So here we boiled cabbage in water, and it gave a green color to the water :/

Cell membrane becomes wholly permeable after getting destroyed.

Reaction score
Guys its just that when we heat the cell in boiling water, its cell membrane gets denatured and turns from partially to fully permeable which means that cytoplasm comes out by diffusion and the colour of the cytoplasm is green :D
AND THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER

Reaction score
Guys its just that when we heat the cell in boiling water, its cell membrane gets denatured and turns from partially to fully permeable which means that cytoplasm comes out by diffusion and the colour of the cytoplasm is green :D
AND THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER

The colour of cytoplasm is not green. It looks green due to presence of chlorophyll in chloroplasts.

Reaction score
I wrote the same thing as Faadi magar at the end mntioned that the membrane thatholds the contents of the chloroplast were also damaged which allowed the green pigmented chlorophyll to diffuse out

Reaction score
Btw how did you guys do the graph? Did you make a curve connecting all the points ya phir a curve of best fit?

Reaction score
for the question about the boiling i wrote
"when cabbage placed in water, water enter cells so they become turgid.during boiling,the enzymes denatures and partially permeable membrane damages resulting to cell contents containing chloroplasts which contain chlorophyll(a green pigment) come out of cell making water green"
any chance this is correct?

Reaction score
for the question about the boiling i wrote
"when cabbage placed in water, water enter cells so they become turgid.during boiling,the enzymes denatures and partially permeable membrane damages resulting to cell contents containing chloroplasts which contain chlorophyll(a green pigment) come out of cell making water green"
any chance this is correct?
I don't know about the denaturing wala part but apart from that I think its correct