• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIO Doubts..here..everyone!!

Reaction score
Hi i am making this topic because i see that many people have questions in bio..and that sometimes the other members aren't able to see the posted topic because they are so many so i guess if everyone with doubts asked here more people could answer you and u never know maybe u would have the same questions ^_^

so i will start i have a question about the ulna and the radius bones..which one of them is the biceps and triceps attached to..?

Reactions: Meg
Reaction score
Hey,

OK, the radius and ulna are on the lower part of the arm (below elbow) ...ulna is on the side nearer to the body and radius is on the other side....humerus is the bone above the elbow... Triceps is in the inner side too...so its connected to the ulna whereas the biceps being on the top of the humerus is attached to the radius.

heres a diagram which might help:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0&safe=active

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a huge doubt about the lymphatic system and tissue fluid and all that stuff...i dont know what its about mostly..help out anyone?

BR,
Xenarra

Reaction score
The lymphatic system is responsible for the circulation of body fluids, including tissue fluid and fatty acids + glycerol, throughout the body (it makes them enter the blood after collecting them). It is also responsible for developing lymphocytes

the tissue fluid which is a component of the blood that leaks out of teh capillaries to bathe the body cells(similar to plasma) is important for several reason:
1) to supply the tissues with the food, minerals, antibodies, water and that it needs
2) to carry the waste products of metabolism
3) white blood cells can be there to attack microbe

Reaction score
Xenarra said:
Hey,

I have a huge doubt about the lymphatic system and tissue fluid and all that stuff...i dont know what its about mostly..help out anyone?

BR,
Xenarra

Basically, the capillaries which supply the body with blood have small gaps in them. The white blood cells and plasma can fit through these small gaps, where they become tissue fluid. Now, the tissue fluid greatly helps with the body's processes, as they surround cells. This allows for diffusion to take place between the organs and tissue fluid. The tissue fluid however, once waste products such as carbon dioxide have diffused into it, has to eventually return to the blood. This is the job of lymphatic vessels as lymph is drained tissue fluid. These vessels basically take the drained fluid back into the blood, allowing for the excretion of the waste products which are dissolved in the lymph.

Hope I helped, I tried to put it as simply as possible, outlining everything that was necessary, I have checked with my text book after I wrote it. :)

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
Hi i am making this topic because i see that many people have questions in bio..and that sometimes the other members aren't able to see the posted topic because they are so many so i guess if everyone with doubts asked here more people could answer you and u never know maybe u would have the same questions ^_^

so i will start i have a question about the ulna and the radius bones..which one of them is the biceps and triceps attached to..?

I didn't know that the knowledge of specific bones was in the IGCSE syllabus, in my book it says for O Level only. I'm using the International Edition by Mary Jones and Geoff Jones.

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
narutogirl said:

I didn't know that the knowledge of specific bones was in the IGCSE syllabus, in my book it says for O Level only. I'm using the
International Edition by Mary Jones and Geoff Jones.

no because once there was a question in the multiple choice about them so i wanted to make sure..ya they aren't in the syllabus i think :S

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
The lymphatic system is responsible for the circulation of body fluids, including tissue fluid and fatty acids + glycerol, throughout the body (it makes them enter the blood after collecting them). It is also responsible for developing lymphocytes

the tissue fluid which is a component of the blood that leaks out of teh capillaries to bathe the body cells(similar to plasma) is important for several reason:
1) to supply the tissues with the food, minerals, antibodies, water and that it needs
2) to carry the waste products of metabolism
3) white blood cells can be there to attack microbe

thankx that helped alot!

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
Xenarra said:
Hey,

BR,
Xenarra

Basically, the capillaries which supply the body with blood have small gaps in them. The white blood cells and plasma can fit through these small gaps, where they become tissue fluid. Now, the tissue fluid greatly helps with the body's processes, as they surround cells. This allows for diffusion to take place between the organs and tissue fluid. The tissue fluid however, once waste products such as carbon dioxide have diffused into it, has to eventually return to the blood. This is the job of lymphatic vessels as lymph is drained tissue fluid. These vessels basically take the drained fluid back into the blood, allowing for the excretion of the waste products which are dissolved in the lymph.

Hope I helped, I tried to put it as simply as possible, outlining everything that was necessary, I have checked with my text book after I wrote it. :)

wayy better than my book said it :) THANKS!

Reaction score
hey,

what does the lacteal in the villi absorb? Fatty acids + glycerol and which vitamins??

BR,
xenarra

Reaction score
Xenarra
that's a really good site for a quick revision :)
but i honestly don't know an example of a vitamin all i know it absorbs the the soluble ones :/

Reaction score
Hey,

Yeah i checked it out but it says only digested fats...so yea i guess no vitamins.

BR,
Xenarra

Reaction score
Xenarra said:
hey,

what does the lacteal in the villi absorb? Fatty acids + glycerol and which vitamins??

BR,
xenarra
The vitamins absorbed are A, D, E and K. :)

Reaction score
guyz, i have question :
I know we can`t say reaction time decreases for increased alcohol consumption but can we say reaction time slows down cause it was in this mark scheme: variant 1, q2(c)(iii) ---> (http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... 7_ms_3.pdf)
for this past paper --> variant 1, q2(c)(iii) ---> http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... 7_qp_3.pdf
I am really confused if this is what the mark scheme meant for us to write (reaction time slows down)
thnx for taking ur time to actually read all of this :)

Reaction score
Can someone explain me the concept of genotypes and phenotypes and homozygous and heterozygous .. And monohybrid inheritance and co dominance and .. The variation and the ratio working pleasssseeee !!!!!! I find it difficult !
The ratio thing .. Example .. The question that came in oct/nov 2010 p32 ! Please help !!
Thanks in advance !!! :)

Reaction score
Can sumone tell me the process of reproduction in bacterias plzz..??? :(
thnks in advnce..!! :)

Reaction score
cHeStEr said:
Can someone explain me the concept of genotypes and phenotypes and homozygous and heterozygous .. And monohybrid inheritance and co dominance and .. The variation and the ratio working pleasssseeee !!!!!! I find it difficult !
The ratio thing .. Example .. The question that came in oct/nov 2010 p32 ! Please help !!
Thanks in advance !!! :)

Hey,
OK, genotype is the genetic make -up of the person, that is, what the genes are like.

phenotype is what you can see on the person physically, that is, hair colour, eye colour etc

homozygous is when the allele of the person are both identical, that is, either BB(dominant because both letters are capital) or bb(recessive because both letter are small).

*allele are different types of genes that code for the same characteristic, eg: allele for eye colour, allele for hair colour etc.

heterozygous is when the allele of the person is different, eg: Bb

mono hybrid inheritance is when one characteristic from one gene is passed to next generation.

codominance: if both the genes of the person (allele) produce effect on the person (when niether allele is dominant to the other). Usually to do with blood, eg: a person may have blood group ABO, where A and B are both in the blood group.

incomplete dominance: It means the same as codominance but it only applies to cases where the recessive allele (the small letter allele whose characteristic doesn't show) is not completely masked by the dominant allele (the capital letter allele whose characteristic shows more). Eg: In a disease called sickle-cell anaemia, if a person inherits both recessivegene for sickle cell anemia ( Hb Hb) then he/she will show the traits of the disease. But if the person is heterozygote (HB hb) there is mild symptoms of the disease. So here the dominant allele does not take over the recessive one.

Variation is the term that refers to differences in species that can be seen. eg: all domestic cats belong to the same breed BUT there are of different size, colour, fur length etc.
Continuous variation is many gene codes but ENVIRONMENT plays a factor, eg: if a person is born thin he/she may eat and become fat, it doesn't have to do with genes. EG: Height, weight, skin colour etc
Discontinuous variation is one gene code for different characteristic, environment DOES NOT play a role, these characteristics don't have any option to change. EG: blood groups...you can't change your blood group.

OK, now the ratio thing! this is how we studied it:
i am taking example of rat fur colour....capital B will represent black fur and small case b will represent white colour.
So if two heterozygous rats mate (that is both of them are black rats with allele Bb) then the outcome would be like this:
BB Bb Bb bb
that is 3 of them would be black and one would be white. So the ratio is 3 black :1 white
(You can find this out by cross diagrams. The link of the diagram is at the bottom of the answer. )

If one heterozygous rat (Bb, with black fur) mates with homozygous recessive (bb, white fur) then the outcome would be like this:
Bb Bb bb bb
so there are two black and two white rats. so the ratio is 1 black: 1 white .

If a homozygous dominant rat (BB, black fur) mated with a homozygous recessive rat (bb, white fur) then the outcome would be like this:
Bb Bb Bb Bb
so all the rats are black. so the ratio is 1 black : 0 white.

Here are most of what you asked for i guess. If anything is not clear then don't hesitate to ask (coz sometimes i have doubts too about an answer and i don't wanna ask again coz it seems like i am bothering, lol)
And this is half of what you have to study on genetics. You better go thru the blood group part, some of the diseases, definations, cross diagrams....oh btw heres the link to the cross diagram : http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...d=1t:429,r:5,s:37&biw=800&bih=509&safe=active
Instead of seeing albinos as an example you can think of the rats. :)

BR,
Xenarra.

*i am not a biology teacher, :p you should read D G MaCkean :)