• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIO Doubts..here..everyone!!

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
freakedout said:
Is the nephron there in the syllabus?? :s

Just know that there is a glomerulus, Bowman's capsule, loop of Helne, tubule and collecting duct. It is important to relate ultrafiltration and selective reabsorbtion to these structures too.

Could you please explain what exactly happens at each part of the nephron? :S like what happens at the glomerulus, Bowman's capsule etc coz there was a question asking for their functions and i wasn't very sure about how to answer it :(

Reaction score
shan5674 said:
xIshtar said:
freakedout said:
Is the nephron there in the syllabus?? :s

Just know that there is a glomerulus, Bowman's capsule, loop of Helne, tubule and collecting duct. It is important to relate ultrafiltration and selective reabsorbtion to these structures too.

Could you please explain what exactly happens at each part of the nephron? :S like what happens at the glomerulus, Bowman's capsule etc coz there was a question asking for their functions and i wasn't very sure about how to answer it :(

The glomerulus is basically a bundle of capillaries, and it partakes in ultrafiltration, because the minerals can squeeze out through the walls due to the high pressure. This then collects in the Bowman's capsule, which basically just makes sure that the minerals aren't lost. This then flows through tubules, where selective reabsorbtion takes place. This is when only the required minerals are absorbed back into the blood. It then flows through the loop of Helne, and is passed out through the collecting duct in the form of urine.

Hope I helped, if you need anything else, ask soon as I have to revise for Economics too today :/

Reaction score
blood enters into glumerulus (which consists of very small blood capilareis so due to high pressure the plasma gets leaked out from blood this is process in glomerulus is called ultra filtration .
the bowman's capsule just receive the filtrate which is plasma . plasma flows then through the proximal coiled tube where the needed subtances by the body are reabsorbed and urea is left .
it then flows throught the loop of henle where water and salts are absorbed . then it also flows through distiled coiled tube where reabsorbtion takes place then when it geos to the last part called collecting duct it is called urine .

hope this helps , good luck.

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
The glomerulus is basically a bundle of capillaries, and it partakes in ultrafiltration, because the minerals can squeeze out through the walls due to the high pressure. This then collects in the Bowman's capsule, which basically just makes sure that the minerals aren't lost. This then flows through tubules, where selective reabsorbtion takes place. This is when only the required minerals are absorbed back into the blood. It then flows through the loop of Helne, and is passed out through the collecting duct in the form of urine.

Hope I helped, if you need anything else, ask soon as I have to revise for Economics too today :/

Nope i got it :D thanks :D

Reaction score
Alpha45 said:
blood enters into glumerulus (which consists of very small blood capilareis so due to high pressure the plasma gets leaked out from blood this is process in glomerulus is called ultra filtration .
the bowman's capsule just receive the filtrate which is plasma . plasma flows then through the proximal coiled tube where the needed subtances by the body are reabsorbed and urea is left .
it then flows throught the loop of henle where water and salts are absorbed . then it also flows through distiled coiled tube where reabsorbtion takes place then when it geos to the last part called collecting duct it is called urine .

hope this helps , good luck.

thankss :D

Reaction score
Hey :D
I just wanted to point out that not everything is being asked about!

I mean, for the first question, about the ulna and radius bones, nothing was ever asked in such a matter :D

I'm not saying you should definitely ignore this topic but I'd rather study more frequently tested stuff, like conservation and plants stuff =)

Good luck guys, may the best win xD

Reaction score
yep never came up in paper 3 but it came up in paper 1 in one of the recent years cant remeber which ......so u never know what may come....

Reaction score
Alpha45 said:
yep never came up in paper 3 but it came up in paper 1 in one of the recent years cant remeber which ......so u never know what may come....

But we're actually stuck up in 3 now ^^,

though the whole bones thingy is uncommon in p3, i studied it and im not recommending otherwise :)

Reaction score
Chemguy said:
Alpha45 said:

though the whole bones thingy is uncommon in p3, i studied it and im not recommending otherwise :)

Bones aren't even in our syllabus, are you suggesting to learn the entire skeleton? -.-'

Reaction score
nope just bones attached to biceps and triceps ( humerus , radius and ulna) common ppl it not hard to learn 3 parts of the bones...........

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
Chemguy said:
Alpha45 said:

Bones aren't even in our syllabus, are you suggesting to learn the entire skeleton? -.-'

of course not! x.x"

just as alpha said right above my post; only the ones that matter.

like the types of bones (hinge, ball and socket, etc

no one is dumb enough to study the whole thing: pelvis, femur, bla bla :p

Reaction score
Alpha45 said:
nope just bones attached to biceps and triceps ( humerus , radius and ulna) common ppl it not hard to learn 3 parts of the bones...........
Those only came once in paper 6 I think, and he even gave you the names you just had to draw them again.

Reaction score
Alpha45 said:

So the biceps are attached to the radius and the triceps are attached to the ulna right? What about the humerus? :S

Reaction score
hey guys just gave my paper variant 2
i know im not allowed to discuss it now so ill just say this
dont worry all u guys
paper wasnt all that difficult
just relax and attempt d paper with an open mind
ALL THE BEST!!! :good:

Reaction score
hey i got a doubt, do we have to learn anything about the larynx in the respiratory system? :S

Reaction score
shan5674 said:
hey i got a doubt, do we have to learn anything about the larynx in the respiratory system? :S

Heh, I just know that it is the voice box.. Just know that it contains the vocal chords which make sounds when air passes over them.

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
shan5674 said:

Heh, I just know that it is the voice box.. Just know that it contains the vocal chords which make sounds when air passes over them.

Alright, thanks :D

Reaction score
the exam is over i just wanted to say that i really hope everyone esp the people in this topic did well ^_^