• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Bio paper 31

How did u find the paper?

• Too easy dude! ;)

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Not difficult and not too easy :/

Votes: 67 59.3%
  • DIFFICULT! :(

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My dad (doctor) said that most water absorbed is in LARGE INTESTINE.. HES A CONSULTANT IF YOU WROTE SMALL INTESTINE.. HARD LUCK!
want another proof? WIKIPEDIA: "
Small intestine

It has three parts: the Duodenum, Jejunum, and Ileum.
After being processed in the stomach, food is passed to the small intestine via the pyloric sphincter. The majority of digestion and absorption occurs here after the milky chyme enters the duodenum. Here it is further mixed with three different liquids:
The pH level increases in the small intestine as all three fluids are alkaline. A more basic environment causes more helpful enzymes to activate and begin to help in the breakdown of molecules such as fat globules. Small, finger-like structures called villi, and their epithelial cells is covered with numerous microvilli improve the absorption of nutrients by increasing the surface area of the intestine and enhancing speed at which nutrients are absorbed. Blood containing the absorbed nutrients is carried away from the small intestine via the hepatic portal vein and goes to the liver for filtering, removal of toxins, and nutrient processing.
The small intestine and remainder of the digestive tract undergoes peristalsis to transport food from the stomach to the rectum and allow food to be mixed with the digestive juices and absorbed. The circular muscles and longitudinal muscles are antagonistic muscles, with one contracting as the other relaxes. When the circular muscles contract, the lumen becomes narrower and longer and the food is squeezed and pushed forward. When the longitudinal muscles contract, the circular muscles relax and the gut dilates to become wider and shorter to allow food to enter.
[edit]

Large intestine

After the food has been passed through the small intestine, the food enters the large intestine. Within it, digestion is retained long enough to allow fermentation due to the action of gut bacteria, which breaks down some of the substances that remain after processing in the small intestine; some of the breakdown products are absorbed. In humans, these include most complex saccharides (at most three disaccharides are digestible in humans). In addition, in many vertebrates, the large intestine reabsorbs fluid; in a few, with desert lifestyles, this reabsorbtion makes continued existence possible.
In humans, the large intestine is roughly 1.5 meters long, with three parts: the cecum at the junction with the small intestine, the colon, and the rectum. The colon itself has four parts: the ascending colon, the transverse colon, thedescending colon, and the sigmoid colon. The large intestine absorbs water from the chyme and stores feces until it can be egested. Food products that cannot go through the villi, such as cellulose (dietary fiber), are mixed with other waste products from the body and become hard and concentrated feces. The feces is stored in the rectum for a certain period and then the stored feces is eliminated from the body due to the contraction and relaxation through the anus. The exit of this waste material is regulated by the anal sphincter."
website here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestion#Large_intestine
AS YOU CAN SEE IT DIDN'T MENTION WATER IN SMALL INTESTINE.. IT MENTIONED IT IN LARGE INTESTINE (COLON). DON'T TELL ME WIKIPEDIA IS WRONG.

Reaction score
My dad (doctor) said that most water absorbed is in LARGE INTESTINE.. HES A FUCKIN CONSULTANT IF YOU WROTE SMALL INTESTINE.. HARD LUCK!
want another proof? WIKIPEDIA: "
Small intestine

It has three parts: the Duodenum, Jejunum, and Ileum.
After being processed in the stomach, food is passed to the small intestine via the pyloric sphincter. The majority of digestion and absorption occurs here after the milky chyme enters the duodenum. Here it is further mixed with three different liquids:
The pH level increases in the small intestine as all three fluids are alkaline. A more basic environment causes more helpful enzymes to activate and begin to help in the breakdown of molecules such as fat globules. Small, finger-like structures called villi, and their epithelial cells is covered with numerous microvilli improve the absorption of nutrients by increasing the surface area of the intestine and enhancing speed at which nutrients are absorbed. Blood containing the absorbed nutrients is carried away from the small intestine via the hepatic portal vein and goes to the liver for filtering, removal of toxins, and nutrient processing.
The small intestine and remainder of the digestive tract undergoes peristalsis to transport food from the stomach to the rectum and allow food to be mixed with the digestive juices and absorbed. The circular muscles and longitudinal muscles are antagonistic muscles, with one contracting as the other relaxes. When the circular muscles contract, the lumen becomes narrower and longer and the food is squeezed and pushed forward. When the longitudinal muscles contract, the circular muscles relax and the gut dilates to become wider and shorter to allow food to enter.
[edit]

Large intestine

After the food has been passed through the small intestine, the food enters the large intestine. Within it, digestion is retained long enough to allow fermentation due to the action of gut bacteria, which breaks down some of the substances that remain after processing in the small intestine; some of the breakdown products are absorbed. In humans, these include most complex saccharides (at most three disaccharides are digestible in humans). In addition, in many vertebrates, the large intestine reabsorbs fluid; in a few, with desert lifestyles, this reabsorbtion makes continued existence possible.
In humans, the large intestine is roughly 1.5 meters long, with three parts: the cecum at the junction with the small intestine, the colon, and the rectum. The colon itself has four parts: the ascending colon, the transverse colon, thedescending colon, and the sigmoid colon. The large intestine absorbs water from the chyme and stores feces until it can be egested. Food products that cannot go through the villi, such as cellulose (dietary fiber), are mixed with other waste products from the body and become hard and concentrated feces. The feces is stored in the rectum for a certain period and then the stored feces is eliminated from the body due to the contraction and relaxation through the anus. The exit of this waste material is regulated by the anal sphincter."
website here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestion#Large_intestine
AS YOU CAN SEE IT DIDN'T MENTION WATER IN SMALL INTESTINE.. IT MENTIONED IT IN LARGE INTESTINE (COLON). DON'T TELL ME WIKIPEDIA IS WRONG.
there was large intesine and colon I answered Colon [F]

Reaction score
No, if you remember the question correctly, it said ''Water reabsorbed''
That occurs in the Large intestine=Colon
So you're Wrong.
Well I wrote colon cause it's written in my book
But in all seriousness guys I know one mark makes a heck lot of difference but u can't cry over split milk can u so paaaaaahleeeez let go of da freaking question w8 until oct till the ms for this paper comes out till then fingers crossed
Maybe sum CIE examiner might stumble across this thread and accept both answers looolz coz we've got serious Einstein u know wat maybe they make marking scheme from here only lolls

Reaction score
there was large intesine and colon I answered Colon [F]
It's actually at the beginning of the large intestine which i think was G. It can't be at the end of the large intestine because this part before anus is called rectum which is used for storing stool.

Reaction score
It's actually at the beginning of the large intestine which i think was G. It can't be at the end of the large intestine because this part before anus is called rectum which is used for storing stool.
btw the label was at the descending colon not rectum :)

Reaction score
i wrote ileum because colon absorbs water from undigested food so technically what i think its small intestine.

Reaction score
how much do you think A* will be?? :unsure:
I really fucked up in last 2 pages(8 marks are wrong)+like 1 mark in each page :(
I have studied too much Biology this year & sacrificed with other subject for it , I hope I don,t get anything but A* :cry:

What were the answers for female reproductive system btw if any one still remember?
1-y then x
2-umbilical chord,tied & cut after birth
3-I wrote the uptake of oxygen , glucose , amino acids , fat , iron ,water from mother to fetus
& diffusion of co2 from fetus to mother
are those right especially no3 ??

Reaction score
how much do you think A* will be?? :unsure:
I really fucked up in last 2 pages(8 marks are wrong)+like 1 mark in each page :(
I have studied too much Biology this year & sacrificed with other subject for it , I hope I don,t get anything but A* :cry:

What were the answers for female reproductive system btw if any one still remember?
1-y then x
2-umbilical chord,tied & cut after birth
3-I wrote the uptake of oxygen , glucose , amino acids , fat , iron ,water from mother to fetus
& diffusion of co2 from fetus to mother
are those right especially no3 ??
i wrote Y and W
part 2 i wrote the ame
part 3 i wrote about getting rid of urea and exchange of glucose carbon dioxide and getting glucose from the mother