• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Bio Unit 1 Doubts

Reaction score
Can anyone explain for me the Protein structure?
Proteins have 4 levels in its structure,
1st which is the most important is its primary structure which is the sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain held together by peptide bonds .. this determines the final 3d shape in a protein and the final 3d shape allows the protein to carry out its function and if a mutation had occured in its primary stage, then the protein is mutated.
Next is the secondary structure where the amino acids coil into an alpha helix structure or fold into beta pleated sheets, the bonds which hold the amino acids together here are the hydrogen bond.
The tertiary structure is where the amino acids fold and coil further into super coils and if only 1 poly peptide chain was involved then its coiled into it final 3d shape and the bonds here include hydrogen bonds, ionic interactions, hydrophylic and hydrophobic interactions and disulphide bridges.
The quaternary structure is just like the tertiary structure but when it involves more than 1 poly peptide then the poly peptides interact with each other causing it to give its final 3d structure .. (same bonds as tertiary)

Hope this helped .. and goodluck

Reaction score
I'm giving mine too, don't stress yourself calm down and lets hope for the best
I'm ready to help if you've got any specific questions though;)
ahaha...not at all..bio anc chem are the only sub..i love :p thanxx anyways...well if u need help...im there :p can ask me...anything anytime :)

Reaction score
hahaha i dropped chem this year because we had a very rude teacher, bio is my favorite since 3 years and thats the reason iam majoring in biotechnology next year in uni :p
Goodluck for us both (y)

Reaction score
Proteins have 4 levels in its structure,
1st which is the most important is its primary structure which is the sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain held together by peptide bonds .. this determines the final 3d shape in a protein and the final 3d shape allows the protein to carry out its function and if a mutation had occured in its primary stage, then the protein is mutated.
Next is the secondary structure where the amino acids coil into an alpha helix structure or fold into beta pleated sheets, the bonds which hold the amino acids together here are the hydrogen bond.
The tertiary structure is where the amino acids fold and coil further into super coils and if only 1 poly peptide chain was involved then its coiled into it final 3d shape and the bonds here include hydrogen bonds, ionic interactions, hydrophylic and hydrophobic interactions and disulphide bridges.
The quaternary structure is just like the tertiary structure but when it involves more than 1 poly peptide then the poly peptides interact with each other causing it to give its final 3d structure .. (same bonds as tertiary)

Hope this helped .. and goodluck
Thanks dear, this helped me a lot thanks again. By the way did you finished your exams?

Reaction score
hahaha i dropped chem this year because we had a very rude teacher, bio is my favorite since 3 years and thats the reason iam majoring in biotechnology next year in uni :p
Goodluck for us both (y)
ooohhh...my bad.....im planning to go for dentistry...INSHALLAH we'll ace our exams with flying colors...did u take phy today....and by the way where r u from??? which uni u planning to go in??

Reaction score
ooohhh...my bad.....im planning to go for dentistry...INSHALLAH we'll ace our exams with flying colors...did u take phy today....and by the way where r u from??? which uni u planning to go in??
By the will of God we can ace them all, and no I dont take physics after I got a B on my olevels i hated it :p
I live in Dubai and University of Sharjah (if you've ever heard of) is a great choice for btech for me

Reaction score
By the will of God we can ace them all, and no I dont take physics after I got a B on my olevels i hated it :p
I live in Dubai and University of Sharjah (if you've ever heard of) is a great choice for btech for me
hahahahaha...even i hate it...thought of taking math...but my bad...i have to go abroad or to pak :)

Reaction score
Urgent :) _ what's correlation and causation? :p
__describe DNA replication? :p
__Describe translation and transcription? :p
__what is the role of mRNA and tRNA ? :p

Reaction score
DNA REPLICATION
dna helix unzips to form two single strands.Each strand acts as templates strands. Free floating mononucleotide join to original template strand by complementary base pairing_ Adenine pair up with thymine and cytosine pair up with guanine.The mononucleotide on new strand are joined together by DNA polymearse enzyme. Hydrogen bond forms b/w two strand.

Reaction score
cystic fibrosis is caused due to the defect in the CFTR gene. this gene makes a protein that controls the movement of water in and out of the cell in your body.in ppl with cystic fibrosis the protein dosent work effectively and hence causes thick and sticky mucus and a very salty sweat wich are the main features of CF.
this is how it works...
(1).. CFTR channel is absent or dosent work effectively so the sodium channel doesnt rgulate...as it is sodium channel opens and closes with the help of CFTR...
(2) hence the Na+ channel is permenantely open so the sodium ions cntinue to enter the cell from the mucus thru the sodium ion channel.
(3) the chloride ions are regulated by the CFTR protein and as its abnt the secretion of Cl- ion doesnt takes place..
(4) so water continuesly drains out o the mucus and into the cell by osmosis
(5) wich inturn makes the mucus sticky and thick.
...HOPE THIS HELPED!!!...
if theres any mistake do correct me ..
and yes pray for me !!!:)

Reactions: r97