• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology(0610)-Need doubt clarification(Urgent)

Reaction score
15) Cobalt chloride paper is blue when dry but turns pink when wet. Some blue cobalt chloride paper
was fastened to the upper and lower surfaces of a leaf on a plant X and a leaf on plant Y.
The diagram shows the results of the experiment. (Please refer to question paper of May/June 2009-0610-01, Question 15).

Through which leaf surface was water lost most quickly?
A plant X, upper surface
B plant X, lower surface
C plant Y, upper surface
D plant Y, lower surface

The answer given is "B",can someone explain please, it's urgent, tomorrow I have my Biology paper.

Reaction score
Because time taken is least for option B, rate of water release must be highest for option B Interpret the graph carefully.

Reaction score
AOA, okay I am just adding in to the explanation given by Besterlinks that see....if you look at the graph carefully, read the y-axis label: "it says time taken for
cobalt chloride
paper to turn
pink /minutes" so which means that which ever will have the least height means that water escaped the quickest right? So that will be the lower surface of leaf X. :) Don't panic. Just relax and READ the question carefully and just pray to Allah. :)

Reaction score
Oh so it means as the plant X lower surface has more water so it will lose more water than the others,is that how to interpret the graph?