• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Well, I'm not quite sure of this, but from what I know, the hydrogen being more reactive will replace the copper in the solution (that will lead to copper (II) chloride being formed), and hydrogen carbonate is soluble so it will break down into ions CO3- + H+ ----> CO2 + H2O (balanced eq. is CO3 + 2H+ ---> CO2 + H2O).
The H+ from the Acid reacts with the Carbonate ion to form carbon dioxide and water and a salt (Copper II chloride) since these are the general products from the Acid + Metal Carbonate reaction.
You make it sound even more complicated :/ If copper carbonate is insoluble, it shoud not be written in the ionic form. That's what I know from books :p And this question is doing the complete opposite.

Reaction score
You make it sound even more complicated :/ If copper carbonate is insoluble, it shoud not be written in the ionic form. That's what I know from books :p And this question is doing the complete opposite.
Ok, in simple words :p
The reaction b/w HCl and CuCO3 is,
CuCO3 + HCl ---> CuCl2 + H2O + CO2
The hydrogen from the hyrdochloric acid displaces the copper in the cooper (II) carbonate since hydrogen is more reactive than copper.
This will form carbonic acid and copper (II) chloride.
The carbonic acid (being soluble) H2CO3 will break up into its ions and react to form water and carbon dioxide,
H2CO3 ----> CO3 2- + 2H+ ----> H2O + CO2.
Hope you get it now. :)

Reaction score
Some water in a beaker is heated. For the first 100s, the increase in temperature is 50 C. For the next 100s, the increase in temperature is 25 C. Why is there a difference in the increase in temperature? Anyone help please?

the more the difference in temperature between two things the faster the heat transfers, so more heat will transfer to room.

Reaction score
Please anyone help..

well i don't exactly remember the formula, but it was simple enough. From 750 to 800, that is a change of 50 degrees, there is an increase of 1.5V. So, for a change of 1V, there should be 50/1.5. Now he is asking for a reading of 6.8V, that is an increase of .6V. Now, 50/1.5 * .6 = 20C. Now just add it to 750, that is 770 degree Celsius. Is this the right answer? :)

Reaction score
well i don't exactly remember the formula, but it was simple enough. From 750 to 800, that is a change of 50 degrees, there is an increase of 1.5V. So, for a change of 1V, there should be 50/1.5. Now he is asking for a reading of 6.8V, that is an increase of .6V. Now, 50/1.5 * .6 = 20C. Now just add it to 750, that is 770 degree Celsius. Is this the right answer? :)
Yoo brav.. U got it right(y)

Reaction score
are we actually supposed to prepare these circuits? o_O well because I've been told such questions ALWAYS come from at a choice so there's no harm in completely leaving it altogether. Any words of advice?
Look, as far as I know, Electronics maybe hard but its questions are always very easy so why not prepare them? What's the harm?
Because, if, an even harder question comes in the choice along with this so you better be prepared, now you can't assume that there will be just one hard question now, can you? Never leave anything up to choice, be ready for everything.

Reaction score
1)THE COOLING EFFECT OF EVAPORATION; I know the phenomenon, but what exact wordings are we supposed to use here when answering a question in the exam. Is it that the energy is lost from breaking bonds of the liquid and turn it into a gas or is it that the molecules with the most energy evaporate, carrying (heat)energy away with them, leaving behind energy deficient molecules, which are cooler. If you could please tell me the exact wordings.
2) A question asked me why was oil a non-renewable resource and I answered that it is because once it is used, it cannot be reused again and is gone forever. The mark scheme however completely rejects this and declares this as correct; 'because oil is a finite source and will run out if we keep using it because it takes millions of years to form' confuses me :-/ any idea which supports the mark scheme so I can relate to it and remember it better?

Reaction score
1)THE COOLING EFFECT OF EVAPORATION; I know the phenomenon, but what exact wordings are we supposed to use here when answering a question in the exam. Is it that the energy is lost from breaking bonds of the liquid and turn it into a gas or is it that the molecules with the most energy evaporate, carrying (heat)energy away with them, leaving behind energy deficient molecules, which are cooler. If you could please tell me the exact wordings.
2) A question asked me why was oil a non-renewable resource and I answered that it is because once it is used, it cannot be reused again and is gone forever. The mark scheme however completely rejects this and declares this as correct; 'because oil is a finite source and will run out if we keep using it because it takes millions of years to form' confuses me :-/ any idea which supports the mark scheme so I can relate to it and remember it better?

Well i think that the second one, that is that the more energetic molecules leaving the surface seems to be more appropriate, and that is what i have always read. About your second question, i always read in the mark schemes not to state oil or any other non renewable source as "can't be used again" . So do avoid it, and just follow what the mark scheme says. Just write that it would eventually run out as the process of natural production of oil under the earth is too slow to keep up with the demands.

Reaction score