• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
branch only means when you are extending a branch from in between a carbon chain like this
View attachment 24024

What you did was just bend the last carbon bonding, which is not a branch
That's what I said. Branched structure means that the carbon atoms are not bonded side by side, instead one of the chains goes upwards/downwards which makes it 'branched'.

Reaction score
That's what I said. Branched structure means that the carbon atoms are not bonded side by side, instead one of the chains goes upwards/downwards which makes it 'branched'.

when the first or the last carbon are either bended upwards or downwards, it is the same as making them straight and is not called branched. Branched is when one of the carbon atoms is turned upwards from in between that chain, not from the extreme ends, i can assure you of that.

Reaction score
Check this out..
actually there is only one isomer of propene, and it is a strange one, and i don't think it is included in our syllabus. This is not an isomer, as it is just like making the whole thing backwards. I was wrong about moving the double bond.

Reaction score
Reflux is like recollection, it is used in distillation (or when boiling liquids), the vapors of the liquid are condensed and returned to the solution (this is called reflux), it prevents loss of any liquid from the container.
It's a condition for esterfication and oxidation of ethanol, right? :/

Reaction score
actually there is only one isomer of propene, and it is a strange one, and i don't think it is included in our syllabus. This is not an isomer, as it is just like making the whole thing backwards. I was wrong about moving the double bond.
I agree with you. They both are not isomers, only a different way of making propene. And who knows which one CIE prefers :/
Wouldnt it be better to write the formula like this : CH3 CH=CH2 like they have shown in one of the marking scheme instead of drawing the whole structure?

Reaction score
I agree with you. They both are not isomers, only a different way of making propene. And who knows which one CIE prefers :/
Wouldnt it be better to write the formula like this : CH3 CH=CH2 like they have shown in one of the marking scheme instead of drawing the whole structure?

when they say draw, i think we should draw. And what is the harm in drawing, it hardly takes one minute. better safe than sorry

Reaction score
when the first or the last carbon are either bended upwards or downwards, it is the same as making them straight and is not called branched. Branched is when one of the carbon atoms is turned upwards from in between that chain, not from the extreme ends, i can assure you of that.
Propene has 3 carbon atoms so it can't be branched from the middle. Well, I'll look at this matter and comment on it tomorrow. I think I am wrong. Apologies for the confusion.

Reaction score

tdk

Reaction score
Could anybody plz post the Nov 2012 QP and Mark Schemes of Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

Reaction score
how we should prepare for different experiments in physics paper?? theory paper?