• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
What does the term 'reflux' mean? Found it in a marking schem of Chemistry :/
Reflux is like recollection, it is used in distillation (or when boiling liquids), the vapors of the liquid are condensed and returned to the solution (this is called reflux), it prevents loss of any liquid from the container.

Reaction score
Reflux is like recollection, it is used in distillation (or when boiling liquids), the vapors of the liquid are condensed and returned to the solution (this is called reflux), it prevents loss of any liquid from the container.
Mr Know it all!(y)

Reaction score
Reaction score
What does the term 'reflux' mean? Found it in a marking schem of Chemistry :/

u must be talking about reflux condenser. i heard it several time in class. it is used in organic reactions when u r afraid that the volatile liquid such as ethanol will evaporate during reaction as it condenses it back.

Reaction score
Im amazed a bit :p You did it the alevel way, Congratz you actually covered almost whole of A level physics vectors :p
And by the way make sure if u try this method in exam u get credit because CIE never liked when people did extra stuff more than required but anyways ask your sir ! But i think you know both methods and this method of yours helps a lot in Add maths,those having troubles abt how he broke the vector into pieces think about the i and j vectors from add maths or just think that vector which is given can be broken into two parts one a horizontal and the other vertical these are called vector components,but plz dont get disappointed or sad just because he knows the method and you dont use the parallelogram law or head to tail rule the most easiest one for O levels and added advantage of using in A level too later on so its very good if u know these rules and not those components !!

i leanred about vectors in MIT's first year physics course. at that time i had not done vectors in add maths but i had no difficulty in any vector operation.

Reaction score
You can make both. The propene is the unbranched structure of the compound whereas the propene 2 is the branced structure of the compound. They are isomers.

actually they are not isomers. They are the same, look carefully, in the second one, he just did not make the lines between the bonds, it is not branched.

Reaction score
actually they are not isomers. They are the same, look carefully, in the second one, he just did not make the lines between the bonds, it is not branched.
Look again, :)
The CH3 is branched upwards not sideways, it means that the carbon and 3 hydrogen atoms are bonded upwards.
P.S. The drawing is filthy. I'm no good at this paint business.
isomer.png

Reaction score
Look again, :)
The CH3 is branched upwards not sideways, it means that the carbon and 3 hydrogen atoms are bonded upwards.
P.S. The drawing is filthy. I'm no good at this paint business.
View attachment 24022

branch only means when you are extending a branch from in between a carbon chain like this
asd.JPG

What you did was just bend the last carbon bonding, which is not a branch