• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
1 mol Mg-----1 mol H2
(24 g) -----24 dm3 H2
0.036 g --------------x
x=24*0.036/24=0.036dm3 H2 is produced with 24 g Mg

actually this is the normal procedure. Your teacher might have just told you this so that you may learn it more easily. But it's always better to understand the concept behind it. 0.036/24 =0.0015g is Mass/Ar, which is the formula to get the number of moles of a substance. Next, as one mole occupies 24dm3, 0.0015 would occupy 0.0015*24= 0.036dm3 of volume.

Reaction score
1 mol Mg-----1 mol H2
(24 g) -----24 dm3 H2
0.036 g --------------x
x=24*0.036/24=0.036dm3 H2 is produced with 0.036 g Mg
actually this is the normal procedure. Your teacher might have just told you this so that you may learn it more easily. But it's always better to understand the concept behind it. 0.036/24 =0.0015g is Mass/Ar, which is the formula to get the number of moles of a substance. Next, as one mole occupies 24dm3, 0.0015 would occupy 0.0015*24= 0.036dm3 of volume.
I do it with the formulas. :p

Reaction score
energy for oxygen = 200* 1.7*9 = 3060 J
energy for nitrogen = 800*2**9 = 1440 J
total = 1440 + 3060 = 17460 J

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Physics (5054)/5054_s08_qp_2.pdf q3 part b :confused: i knw all about convection convention and radiation....but hw to do this damn question??
*conduction.
The shiny foil blanket traps air b/w the skin and the blanket (air being a good insulator) prevents the skin from conducting heat to the surroundings.
The blanket prevents the air from flowing to and from the skin, this reduces the effects of any convectional currents (breezes in surroundings).
The shiny blanket is a reflector of radiation so any heat loss is prevented and reflected by the shiny foil.
3 points - 3 marks.

Reaction score
You all must be aware of these formulae: 1) Power=VI 2) P=I2R 3) P=V2/R
In the second formula power and resistance is directly proportional while in the third they both are inversely proportional? :confused:
Also, on what factor does the brightness of a lamp depend?

Reaction score
You all must be aware of these formulae: 1) Power=VI 2) P=I2R 3) P=V2/R
In the second formula power and resistance is directly proportional while in the third they both are inversely proportional? :confused:
Also, on what factor does the brightness of a lamp depend?

i think it depends on the power, that is both the voltage and current, but i am not sure.
What is the difference between real image and virtual image?? :confused: :cry:

real image is the one formed on the other side of the lens than the object. Virtual is formed at the same side of the lens as the object.

Reaction score
i think it depends on the power, that is both the voltage and current, but i am not sure.

real image is the one formed on the other side of the lens than the object. Virtual is formed at the same side of the lens as the object.

What will your answer be to N03/P1/Q25?

Reaction score
What will your answer be to N03/P1/Q25?
"The filament of lamp X is thicker and shorter than that of lamp Y".
The answer is B. R=l/A, X is thicker and shorter (hence has lesser resistance than Y) which means Y has the larger resistance.
X will be brighter because V=IR, when the resistance is lower, the current is higher (since the voltage is same from the mains).

Reaction score
"The filament of lamp X is thicker and shorter than that of lamp Y".
The answer is B. R=l/A, X is thicker and shorter (hence has lesser resistance than Y) which means Y has the larger resistance.
X will be brighter because V=IR, when the resistance is lower, the current is higher (since the voltage is same from the mains).

Physics Matters pg 374. One of the reasons of choosing tungsten as the filament's metal in a lamp is its high resistivity. Higher resistance = higher temperature thus more light generated. According to the book, Y should be brighter. :confused:

Reaction score
RADIOACTIVITY!
In a magnetic field, the beta particles are deflectd more than the alpha particles because they are lighter. But s marking scheme states, the deflection of radioactive particles between two opositly charged plates is due to the the attraction and repulsion from both the plates. So does that mean that here alpha particles will be deflected more because they have a greater charge of +2 as compared to -1 of the beta particles.

Reaction score