• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
explain part (d)
solution T (mixture with acid and water) is in flask and solution S (KMnO4) is in burette
(d) (i) should be colourless as T is colourless...view the reply to Danish......#9762...he also had same prob....
(ii) KMnO4 is purple, and it was added from burette untill 'just excess' volume was reached, so the colour change at end is purple/pink
hope it helps :)

Reaction score
solution T (mixture with acid and water) is in flask and solution S (KMnO4) is in burette
(d) (i) should be colourless as T is colourless...view the reply to Danish......#9762...he also had same prob....
(ii) KMnO4 is purple, and it was added from burette untill 'just excess' volume was reached, so the colour change at end is purple/pink
but wouldnt fe3+ and fe2+ colours will come in the solution?

Reaction score
but wouldnt fe3+ and fe2+ colours will come in the solution?
okay.....the question says that the solution T is made by dissolving the mixture R with 100 cm3 acid and then made upto 250 cm3 with distill water, both of which (acid & water) are colourless.
so even if a colour of Fe2+ or Fe3+ had exist, it will eventually fade to colourless.
the question is from june 06 Q-9...mark scheme says two option for (d) (i), colourless or green.
i am not sure why green is allowed but red-brown (Fe3+) is not, but you can always go with colourless...

Reaction score
okay.....the question says that the solution T is made by dissolving the mixture R with 100 cm3 acid and then made upto 250 cm3 with distill water, both of which (acid & water) are colourless.
so even if a colour of Fe2+ or Fe3+ had exist, it will eventually fade to colourless.
the question is from june 06 Q-9...mark scheme says two option for (d) (i), colourless or green.
i am not sure why green is allowed but red-brown (Fe3+) is not, but you can always go with colourless...
thnks :D