• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
24 Alloys are usually harder than the metals from which they are made.
Which difference between the metals explains the greater hardness of alloys?
A atomic radii
B densities
C electrical conductivities
D relative atomic masses
a is answer how??????
can u please tell the year from which this question is from, i can explain after reading the er:)
Saad Mughal maybe u can explain it

Reaction score
can u please tell the year from which this question is from, i can explain after reading the er:)
saad maybe u can explain it
Easy. The alloys are harder because the layers of atoms of the metal can no longer slide over one another.
Now, for this to be true, option B and C are rejected because density and conductivity have nothing to do with this.
For A, it is true since when a metal with a larger atom (by size) is mixed with a metal of smaller atom (size), the layers can no longer slide over each other because of the irregularities.
Option D is rejected for 2 reasons, an atom can have a greater mass with the same atomic radius (elements in the same period) AND mass is directly related to density, so it does not have an effect on the sliding properties of metals.
Hope that seems logical enough! :)

Reaction score
Easy. The alloys are harder because the layers of atoms of the metal can no longer slide over one another.
Now, for this to be true, option B and C are rejected because density and conductivity have nothing to do with this.
For A, it is true since when a metal with a larger atom (by size) is mixed with a metal of smaller atom (size), the layers can no longer slide over each other because of the irregularities.
Option D is rejected for 2 reasons, an atom can have a greater mass with the same atomic radius (elements in the same period) AND mass is directly related to density, so it does not have an effect on the sliding properties of metals.
Hope that seems logical enough! :)
thanks i knew how it was but did not how to explain it

Reaction score
22 Sulfur dioxide reacts with aqueous bromine according to the following equation.
SO2(g) + Br2(aq) + 2H2O(l) → H2SO4(aq) + 2HBr(aq)
Which element has been oxidised?
A bromine
B hydrogen
C oxygen
D sulfur
answer is d can u tell me oxidation state of every option....

Reaction score
22 Sulfur dioxide reacts with aqueous bromine according to the following equation.
SO2(g) + Br2(aq) + 2H2O(l) → H2SO4(aq) + 2HBr(aq)
Which element has been oxidised?
A bromine
B hydrogen
C oxygen
D sulfur
answer is d can u tell me oxidation state of every option....
A 0 to -1
B +1 to +1
C -2 to -2
D +4 to +6
remember hydrogen has always +1 and oxygen always -2
they can never be oxidised or reduced

Reaction score
aaaa dis myt be a bit TOO dumb. but aniways.....2 questions that i couldnt understand;
1) 4 Grams of carbon reacts with 6 grams of oxygen. Calculate the moles of carbondioxide formed.
2)10 grams of carbon reacts with 10dm^3 of oxygen at RTP. Calculate the moles of carbondioxide formed. :confused:

Reaction score
aaaa dis myt be a bit TOO dumb. but aniways.....2 questions that i couldnt understand;
1) 4 Grams of carbon reacts with 6 grams of oxygen. Calculate the moles of carbondioxide formed.
2)10 grams of carbon reacts with 10dm^3 of oxygen at RTP. Calculate the moles of carbondioxide formed. :confused:
1. C + O2 ---> CO2
1 mole of carbon reacts with 1 mole of oxygen to form 1 mole of carbon dioxide.
If you calculate the moles using the given masses,
4/12 mole : 6/32 mole
0.33 mole : 0.1875 mole
So, carbon is in excess.
The ratio is 1:1 = 1 so,
Moles of CO2 = 0.1875 moles.

2. At RTP is mentioned,
Convert both quantities to moles,
10/12 moles : 10/24 moles
0.833 moles : 0.4166 moles.
So, again, carbon is in excess.
The ratio is 1:1 = 1 so,