• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score

I have also done this question and I selected B as the answer. I suppose you did the same.
However, you must consider the fact that heat maybe lost radiation through the walls especially if they're dark coloured and rough. Also, convection could also be another factor that takes away heat energy. Therefore there are more factors removing heat energy than what was shown in the Sankey diagram
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I have also done this question and I selected B as the answer. I suppose you did the same.
However, you must consider the fact that heat maybe lost radiation through the walls especially if they're dark coloured and rough. Also, convection could also be another factor that takes away heat energy. Therefore there are more factors removing heat energy than what was shown in the Sankey diagram
Hope this helps!
You know the answer already, and have thus devised your explanation in accordance to the other options there.
what you have said is correct, but the since 54 MJ is being lost, then the extra can also help to heat up the house

Reaction score
another question

Physics 2.PNG

I know the answer is B, but what if the size of force acting on the ground was equal to the weight of the stone, then what would happen? Is that even possible? And how exactly are 2 forces simultaneously acting from the object?

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how to do part c2
Water is a denser medium than the air bubble
So we can conclude that the rays are passing from a denser to a less denser medium
thus the formula of the refractive index for such a case is

Refractive Index = Sin r / Sin i

Reaction score
Water is a denser medium than the air bubble
So we can conclude that the rays are passing from a denser to a less denser medium
thus the formula of the refractive index for such a case is

Refractive Index = Sin r / Sin i

Yes, but what are the values that are to be substituted in the equation. But, thanks anyway

Reaction score
You make your own line continuing it in the bubble. Then draw a normal on the surface of the air bubble, and measure the angle of incidence and refraction
Oh okay.....
I thought we have to use the given values in the question....
Thanks a lot!!

Reaction score
another question

View attachment 37472

I know the answer is B, but what if the size of force acting on the ground was equal to the weight of the stone, then what would happen? Is that even possible? And how exactly are 2 forces simultaneously acting from the object?
What year is this from?Have you seen the examiner report?Maybe theres some hint to the answer there.

Reaction score
That has left me completely baffled.

Since the force acting on the ground is larger than the weight of the stone, the only possible deduction that can be made is that their is another force acting on the ground, complementing the weight resulting in a net force greater than weight acting on the ground.
But what force is that? Force of air maybe?

I just threw an eraser on the floor, and it bounced a few millimeters before coming to rest. It didn't come to rest immediately. Why? Maybe the force acting on the ground was less than its weight, causing the upward reaction force from the ground to cause it to bounce. Or maybe it was just its elasticity.

They said the stone comes immediately to rest. Ugh. Physics is so complicated. >.<

Reaction score
Since the force acting on the ground is larger than the weight of the stone, the only possible deduction that can be made is that their is another force acting on the ground, complementing the weight resulting in a net force greater than weight acting on the ground.
But what force is that? Force of air maybe?

I just threw an eraser on the floor, and it bounced a few millimeters before coming to rest. It didn't come to rest immediately. Why? Maybe the force acting on the ground was less than its weight, causing the upward reaction force from the ground to cause it to bounce. Or maybe it was just its elasticity.

They said the stone comes immediately to rest. Ugh. Physics is so complicated. >.<
I think that 2 forces can act in the same direction from an object. If the force from the ground was greater, then the object would bounce. But if the force is equal, then according to the law, both forces acting on the body are equal, and as a result, it without bouncing, comes completely to rest, (although this is not what actually happens, but CIE has made one very gross assumption here)