• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
H2 is less dense than air. As a result, it will diffuse from the surrounding in to the porous pot at a faster rate. As a result, it will exert pressure, causing the liquid level at X to drop and stay at a lower level

Why stay at a lower level?
After a build up of hydrogen in the porous pot, shouldn't the Hydrogen start to diffuse out of the porous pot, causing the Level of water to return to its original position?

Reaction score
Well, I'm not thinking about writing irrelevant material. For example, if examiner asks about the TEST OF NITRATE IONS, many of the candidates will write this:
"ADD AQUEOUS SODIUM HYDROXIDE THEN ADD ALUMINUM FOIL; WARM CAREFULLY: AMMONIA PRODUCED "
Whereas, I would write this:
"ADD CONCENTRATED HYDROCHLORIC ACID, THEN ADD FRESHLY PREPARED IRON (II) SULPHATE> : BROWN RING FORMS."

It's just an example. I know that this test is not the part of syllabus, but is definitely correct. Just like this,, there are many things!! mhamzasiddiqui

And this test is a part of our syllabus. Who said its not?
It's not said anywhere that it's not a part of our syllabus.
The syllabus is not restricted to the book.
No book is specified in the syllabus that covers exactly what we need to know.
It just gives us the general outline of what we should know regarding topics.

And i have seen this ''Brown ring test'' in the marking scheme, in one of the test of Nitrate ions.

Reaction score
Why stay at a lower level?
After a build up of hydrogen in the porous pot, shouldn't the Hydrogen start to diffuse out of the porous pot, causing the Level of water to return to its original position?
When you spray perfume in a room, the smell diffuses all across the room. When all of it has diffused, does it come back to you?

Reaction score
And this test is a part of our syllabus. Who said its not?
It's not said anywhere that it's not a part of our syllabus.
The syllabus is not restricted to the book.
No book is specified in the syllabus that covers exactly what we need to know.
It just gives us the general outline of what we should know regarding topics.

And i have seen this ''Brown ring test'' in the marking scheme, in one of the test of Nitrate ions.
yup I think mentioning such stuff might give you the edge above other candidates.

Reaction score
How will we answer this question
This not past paper and given to me by my teacher

Why did Muslims not support the Quit India Movement? (7)

I know that:
1. Muslims took the movement as another scheme of Hindu domination over India and they wanted their own independent Muslim state and not be ruled by Hindus. it was like non coperation.
2. Muslims already had the idea how the Hindus would treat them as they did in the 1937-1939 Congress tyranny so they could not let the Hindus gain control on themselves.
3. It was the time of WWII and as a British colony India was vulnerable to attacks by Japan as attacks were carried out in Pearl Harbour. Japs and Indians had no problems between them so Hindus just wanted to remove the British as it would also "remove" Japs.

Is this all correct and can there be more reasons?

Reaction score
How will we answer this question
This not past paper and given to me by my teacher

Why did Muslims not support the Quit India Movement? (7)

I know that:
1. Muslims took the movement as another scheme of Hindu domination over India and they wanted their own independent Muslim state and not be ruled by Hindus.
2. Muslims already had the idea how the Hindus would treat them as they did in the 1937-1939 Congress tyranny so they could not let the Hindus gain control on themselves.
3. It was the time of WWII and as a British colony India was vulnerable to attacks by Japan as attacks were carried out in Pearl Harbour. Japs and Indians had no problems between them so Hindus just wanted to remove the British as it would also "remove" Japs.

Is this all correct and can there be more reasons?

Wrong thread, dude.

Go to the Pakistan studies thread. :p

Reaction score
I'm just ready to sit the CIEs.
^ JK xD
What about you?

Well, Chemistry is good. Solving paper 2 these days.
I've done from May-June 2010 to May-June 2013.

Physics. Still haven't started papers. But it's just normal.
Biology is stupid. .-. Haven't done a thing for it.

Reaction score
its kinda maths Q :LOL: it says half were sown in one condition and half in other.
so 320 + 110 must be approximately equal to 405 + ?
and thus if we add any other no. to 405 its gonna be much much larger than 405 :p :D:ROFLMAO:

but seriously i cant think of any other solution to it -.-

That's exactly what i was thinking.
Haven't even read this chapter, but it's simple maths. :p

Reaction score
Well, Chemistry is good. Solving paper 2 these days.
I've done from May-June 2010 to May-June 2013.

Physics. Still haven't started papers. But it's just normal.
Biology is stupid. .-. Haven't done a thing for it.
So you're done with Chemistry paper 1? Is it difficult to score full marks in Paper 1?
I think you should do more papers, at least last 7 to 8 years.
What do you think is better at this stage practising papers or reading the book?

Reaction score
So you're done with Chemistry paper 1? Is it difficult to score full marks in Paper 1?
I think you should do more papers, at least last 7 to 8 years.
What do you think is better at this stage practising papers or reading the book?

Both variants?

Yeah, i did Paper 1 before mocks.
Well, it depends on how good you are at chemistry.
If you've got a really good understanding of a subject, it's not hard to score full marks.

Most of the MCQ's are easy.
They only add one or two really technical ones in each paper. They are a bit out of the syllabus of O-Level, just so everyone doesn't get full marks.

Well, for me, i think it's better to read the Biology and Physics book.
But for Chemistry, i'll just keep practicing papers.

Reaction score
Both variants?

Yeah, i did Paper 1 before mocks.
Well, it depends on how good you are at chemistry.
If you've got a really good understanding of a subject, it's not hard to score full marks.

Most of the MCQ's are easy.
They only add one or two really technical ones in each paper. They are a bit out of the syllabus of O-Level, just so everyone doesn't get full marks.

Well, for me, i think it's better to read the Biology and Physics book.
But for Chemistry, i'll just keep practicing papers.
But why they even do this, everytime they introduce a new thing in paper 1 which most of us don't know about. I hope there's not much in our session.
And yeah it's certainly better to read the book for Biology.