• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
here you will use the idea of combined resistance
now calculate the combined resistance in a parallel circuit
r1*r2/r1+r2
3*3/3+3=1.5 ohm
then at series circuit
R1+R2+R3.....
now 1.5+4.5=6 ohm
this is total resistance b/w X and Y
for this we have to close all switches so i don't think it is a B, it is A
anyways which year is it so i'll check the m.s
This is what the examiner report says

Question 29

This was a difficult question. A significant minority gave answer A. This answer assumes the resistance of
two 3.0 Ω resistors in parallel can be obtained by addition, which is not correct. Two resistors of resistance
3.0 Ω in parallel have a combined resistance of 1.5 Ω. The effect of switch S3 was widely recognised.

Reaction score
I think there is something wrong here, but again how can the marking scheme be wrong?

Switch S3 doesn't even matter. It's a useless switch. It won't hinder the passage of current.
By closing S3 the resistance will decrease further due to the resistance of the wire, i think.. That's the only logical explanation.

Even i don't completely understand why A can't be the answer, but B would be my first choice. Definitely.

Edit: I got it. Closing switch 3 would result in a total 1.5 Ohm resistance. Current won't flow through 4.5 Ohm resistor. They asked for 6 Ohm. B is the only answer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Switch S3 doesn't even matter. It's a useless switch. It won't hinder the passage of current.
By closing S3 the resistance will decrease further due to the resistance of the wire, i think.. That's the only logical explanation.

Even i don't completely understand why A can't be the answer, but B would be my first choice. Definitely.

Edit: I got it. Closing switch 3 would result in a total 1.5 Ohm resistance. Current won't flow through 4.5 Ohm resistor. They asked for 6 Ohm. B is the only answer.
I don't get the edit part. How can closing the third switch not cause current to flow through it. Plus the total resistance across the parallel resistors is 1.5 ohm

Reaction score
I don't get the edit part. How can closing the third switch not cause current to flow through it. Plus the total resistance across the parallel resistors is 1.5 ohm

The current won't go through the 4.5 ohm resistor that way :p
Electrons go the easy way. Lol, If you had to go a certain place, there were two roads, one with a lot of resistance, and one empty... you'd choose the empty road.
Electrons take the easy path without resistance, and flow through the wire. So the resistance would be 1.5 ohm between X and Y that way.
But if you don't close Switch 3, the resistance would be 6.

Reaction score
The current won't go through the 4.5 ohm resistor that way :p
Electrons go the easy way. Lol, If you had to go a certain place, there were two roads, one with a lot of resistance, and one empty... you'd choose the empty road.
Electrons take the easy path without resistance, and flow through the wire. So the resistance would be 1.5 ohm between X and Y that way.
But if you don't close Switch 3, the resistance would be 6.
the examiner who creates this question is a retard!

Reaction score
Lol, dude. If all questions were easy, that would be no fun. xD
Physics is that one subject which has this property; you solve the entire paper expecting full or an A*, and when it gets checked, you go like 'wth', cuz you end up with an A or B. But when you look at your errors, you go like, 'That was soo simple'