• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Nowhere. I made it up. :p
So there might be some error in your question.Going by your idea,i say that place some germinating seeds in a tube over a guaze with soda lime beneath it to absorb co2.Attach a tube with a bubble as the miniscus.As the seeds respire they use up the o2 present in the tube and bubble moves to the right side.We can repeat this experiment with a substance to absorb O2 and show that no change in bubble level is seen.thus seeds use 02 to respire.

Reaction score
Some one please explain this to me. :( Havent done this chapter at all. :(
Well okay see vector means carrier, a vector is likely to be most adapted at carrying the pathogen to transmit the disease.
So, laying eggs in water makes no sense because wherever it lay eggs, this has nothing to do with the transmission of disease. They might be living in nests. :p
Remember what makes mosquito a good carrier of plasmodium:
It's salivary glands (stores plasmodium before transmitting)
It's stomach (site of reproduction)
It's wings. (fly host to host)

Reaction score
So there might be some error in your question.Going by your idea,i say that place some germinating seeds in a tube over a guaze with soda lime beneath it to absorb co2.Attach a tube with a bubble as the miniscus.As the seeds respire they use up the o2 present in the tube and bubble moves to the right side.We can repeat this experiment with a substance to absorb O2 and show that no change in bubble level is seen.thus seeds use 02 to respire.
Correct experiment but wrong explanation.
The question is perfectly right.

Reaction score
Well okay see vector means carrier, a vector is likely to be most adapted at carrying the pathogen to transmit the disease.
So, laying eggs in water makes no sense because wherever it lay eggs, this has nothing to do with the transmission of disease. They might be living in nests. :p
Remember what makes mosquito a good carrier of plasmodium:
It's salivary glands (stores plasmodium before transmitting)
It's stomach (site of reproduction)
It's wings. (fly host to host)

Thank you so much, got it. :D

Reaction score
Set up an experiment using respirometer to show that oxygen is used up during respitarion.
untitled.JPG

FIRST PART OF EXPERIMENT
Blow the air in the test tube with the help of a blowing-pump. This is the air you inhale.
When the water will be displaced down and air will come in contact with potassium, it will burn using the OXYGEN gas present in air. The water level will rise.
Measure this rise in water level, 'A'
SECOND PART OF EXPERIMENT
(Set up the same apparatus and) Blow the air in the test tube with your mouth. This is your exhaled air.
Potassium will burn again when it comes in contact with air, using the OXYGEN, and the water level will rise.
Measure this rise in water level, 'B'.

We will observe that A > B because inhaling air contains more oxygen.

HEY! WAIT! ISNT IT THAT POTASSIUM BURNS IN WATER TOO? IF IT IS, THEN I GUESS WE SHOULD USE OIL INSTEAD OF WATER :p

Reaction score
Immerse a pipette in water, making sure it contains no water. Take a flask cotaning a living cockroach and KOH. Attach the pipette to the flask and immerse in water. Soon water will enter pipette. The cockroach will use the O2, respiring to produce CO2, that reacts with the KOH to form K2CO3, which is a whiye solid