• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
U're doomed!!
BTW That's Organic Chemistry
Dude, they're not mentioned in the syllabus. And I skimmed through the topicals and found no questions on them.
You might wanna learn what 'polyunsaturated' means, cx its stated in the syllabus, and i have a VERY strong feeling its gonna.....cum this year.

Reaction score

Okay, since the main structure has only carbon-carbon bonds, ie. no other element link N, O is involved, we can safely assume it is an addition polymer.
Monomer = repeat unit of the polymer, which is. Screenshot_1.png

Since it is an addition polymer → the monomer = alkene → A C-C double bond.
So, the monomer = C6H5-CH=CH2

Hope you get it.

Reaction score
Dude, they're not mentioned in the syllabus. And I skimmed through the topicals and found no questions on them.
You might wanna learn what 'polyunsaturated' means, cx its stated in the syllabus, and i have a VERY strong feeling its gonna.....cum this year.

Polyunsaturated just means a compounds with a lot of carbon-carbon double/triple bonds in a lot of places? Right?
Is this given in the book? .-.

Reaction score
Where is it in the syllabus? I've done organic and this is the first i've heard of PVC, Teflon, Perspex. Where are they mentioned? :/

All are addition polymers.
PVC = polyvinylchloride.
Monomer = http://www.decodedscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PVC-formula.jpg

Teflon's monomer = http://www.pslc.ws/macrog/images/vinyl07.gif

Perspex monomer = http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-I-9a6YCgbY4/Uo1ax6SdfxI/AAAAAAAADlA/nucUe7ngIfo/s1600/Picture1m.png

Dont worry though. As long as you are thorough with your syllabus, you can answer any question..:LOL:

Reaction score
Is there an exact colour chart?

I mean - I know of the anions. Also of group 1, 2 and 7 and ammonium.

But apart Cu pink, Fe2+, Fe3+, Cu(II)O, Cu2+ I doubt I know much on colours. is there any more asked?

Colors are important for Atp.
For theory, you just need to know the common substances, the colors of precipitates and stuff.. Those are enough, i think.

Reaction score
If you find something online. In my book, poly(ethene), poly(chloroethene) or PVC or Teflon, poly(phenylethene) or ploystrene, Perspex, poly(tetrafluroethene) or PTFE. Their uses and monomer and repeat unit and polymer are given. You can find something on google perhaps.

That's not a part of our syllabus :p

Reaction score
Adv and Disadvantages of Recycling?

And what are the problems caused by disposal of plastics?
adv i think u can do it easily. no?
disadv:
  • creation of low quality jobs
  • ppl working in garbage are at risk to get fetal diseases
  • new industries are to be planted for recycling; burden on economy
  • cost to saperate metals from garbage is high

Reaction score
Adv and Disadvantages of Recycling?

And what are the problems caused by disposal of plastics?
plastics are non-biodegradable i.e. they cant be decomposed. so if we deposit plastics in the earth, we are actually creating a separation between the inner and outer part of the earth by a layer of plastic. same is the case with polyethene

Reaction score
BTW, I wrote previously that this was a simple one. (I didn't ask for explanation). What I basically questioned was that can they give us a new ion or solid which isn't that simple? You know, something like colour of Fe, Ti etc? BTW, what are colours of grp3, 4, 5, 6 ?We need to learn those?

Honestly, you're the only one worrying about this stuff.
Even if it does come, it would only be for one mark. And this isn't even ATP.

And AgBr wasn't a heavenly thing that no one knew, it was a past paper question.
So Chill. :p