• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can any one help me with this MCQ???It is Biology Paper- ON 2008P1 Q12
the answer's D. this explains it better than any ov my attempts:
er: A complex question, in which candidates must first identify X as a xylem element and Y as a phloem
sieve tube. Testing their contents will show no reducing sugar or starch in the xylem or the phloem,
since sucrose (a non-reducing sugar) in the phloem will give a negative Benedict’s test unless
previously hydrolysed and then neutralised.

Reaction score
the answer's D. this explains it better than any ov my attempts:
er: A complex question, in which candidates must first identify X as a xylem element and Y as a phloem
sieve tube. Testing their contents will show no reducing sugar or starch in the xylem or the phloem,
since sucrose (a non-reducing sugar) in the phloem will give a negative Benedict’s test unless
previously hydrolysed and then neutralised.
yes correct

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to remove yeast in fermentation process and why does limewater prevents air entering the apparatus in fermentation process

Reaction score
When fermentation has finished, the beer is cooled to about 32 F (0 C). This helps the remaining yeast settle to the bottom of the fermenter, along with other undesirable proteins that come out of solution at this lower temperature.
Now that most of the solids have settled to the bottom, the beer is slowly pumped from the fermenter and filtered to remove any remaining solids.
dunno about the other part. sorry

Reaction score
When fermentation has finished, the beer is cooled to about 32 F (0 C). This helps the remaining yeast settle to the bottom of the fermenter, along with other undesirable proteins that come out of solution at this lower temperature.
Now that most of the solids have settled to the bottom, the beer is slowly pumped from the fermenter and filtered to remove any remaining solids.
dunno about the other part. sorry

i thought yeast dies at the temperature above 37 degrees

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to remove yeast in fermentation process and why does limewater prevents air entering the apparatus in fermentation process
for the second part i think that limewater will form a precipitate of calcium carbonate so air will not enter the appratus
Still i am not sure ,correct me if i am wrong!

Reaction score
i thought yeast dies at the temperature above 37 degrees
it does die at higher temp though i have no idea what temp it is. i think its higher then 37 degrees cuz we heat bread to kill yeast in it! n cooling will also denature it na. cuz it jes operates at optimum temp

Reaction score
Actually the Best Temperature for Fermentation is 20 degrees.
The condition require at the above given temperature, A air tight flash as yeast resipire in absense of oxygen.

Reaction score
it does die at higher temp though i have no idea what temp it is. i think its higher then 37 degrees cuz we heat bread to kill yeast in it! n cooling will also denature it na. cuz it jes operates at optimum temp
what does denature means

Reaction score
cant we seperate the yeast after killing it by increasing the temperature

Reaction score
what does denature means
em not sure if my previous was correct. like mod said up there, the best temperature for fermentation is 20 degress. i dunt know which one of these is correct cuz i read tht cooling part on a site..
anyhow, denature means that its destroyed. like an enzyme gets denatured. just like tht yeast can also be denatured as its unicellular!
cant we seperate the yeast after killing it by increasing the temperature
yes we can. but we dunt need to! we can reuse the yeast! when the yeast settles down, we collect our product, just like we do with Penicillium fungi and penicillin. and btw, i asked my teacher today and he said that fermentation of yeast and its products isnt in our syllabus! cheese making, bread making and alcohol making include yeast stuff. and fermentation is mainly concerned with penicillin and insulin making. =)

Reaction score
em not sure if my previous was correct. like mod said up there, the best temperature for fermentation is 20 degress. i dunt know which one of these is correct cuz i read tht cooling part on a site..
anyhow, denature means that its destroyed. like an enzyme gets denatured. just like tht yeast can also be denatured as its unicellular!

yes we can. but we dunt need to! we can reuse the yeast! when the yeast settles down, we collect our product, just like we do with Penicillium fungi and penicillin. and btw, i asked my teacher today and he said that fermentation of yeast and its products isnt in our syllabus! cheese making, bread making and alcohol making include yeast stuff. and fermentation is mainly concerned with penicillin and insulin making. =)
hey fermentation is in syllabus of chemistry