• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Fallen316
i guess it has to be series...but den the voltmeter connection was confusing too...and wat abt the particle X thingy?

Reaction score
i got tht wrong..i drew it both ways(up n down) to show motion of a transverse wave...
the magnetic field one had to start from coil A nd end at coil A ryt??

Reaction score
y did u guys attempt the transformer question if u got so confused over it. granted the last parts were easy but the start of the question was screaming "DON"T DO THIS QUESTION" :LOL: at least that seemed the case to me :p

Reaction score
heyy guys for chem is aluminium extraction (all with the cryolite stuff) is it included in the syllabus for 2012? if yes then plz give me some notes on it if u have any thanks :)

Reaction score
Seriously whoever attempted Q9. commited suicide for reals .. because if he knew everything in Q9, then the other 2 questions would have been more than a Piece of cake .. lol

and who left the last question ?? was the easiest one!

Reaction score

Extraction of Aluminum:

Aluminum exists naturally as aluminum oxide (alumina) in its ore, which is called bauxite. Because aluminum is a very reactive metal, it holds on very tightly to the anion it bonds with, which is oxide in this case. This is why the best way to extract and purify aluminum is by electrolysis in a cell like the one below.
extraction_of_aluminum.png

In this cell, the electrodes are made of graphite (Carbon). The cathode is a layer at the bottom of the cell and the anodes are bars dipped in the electrolyte. The electrolyte in this process is a molten mixture of aluminum oxide and cryolite. Aluminum oxide by its self has a very high melting point of 2050oC which is higher than the melting point of the steel container in which this process is done. That means the steel container will melt before the aluminum oxide. This is why aluminum oxide is mixed with cryolite which decreases the melting point of it to under 1000oC, thus saving a lot of money because heating is expensive and preventing the steel container from melting. Heat must be continuously supplied to the mixture to keep it molten. Aluminum oxide does not conduct electricity when solid because it does not have free mobile ions to carry the charge.
  • Aluminum oxide is purified from impurities of oxide by adding sodium hydroxide
  • Aluminum oxide is mixed with cryolite and put in the electrolysis cell
  • Heat is given in until the mixture becomes molten
  • Electrolysis start
  • Oxide ions get attracted to the anode and discharged (oxidation); 2O2-, 4e → O2
  • Aluminum ions get attracted to the cathode and discharged and settle at the bottom
    of the container (reduction); Al3+ + 3e → Al
  • Oxygen gas evolves and is collected with waste gases
  • Aluminum is sucked out of the container at regular intervals
Oxygen gas which evolves reacts with carbon from the cathode forming CO2. The cathode gets worn away. To solve this, the cathode is replaced at regular intervals. Heat supply is very expensive; this is why cryolite is used to decrease the melting point of aluminum oxide and this process is done in plants which use hydroelectric energy because it is cheap
HERE YOU GO GOT IT FROM XPS REVISION