• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Physics (5054)/5054_s09_qp_1.pdf
Why is the answer for question 37 B?
According to me, it should be C. When the resistance of R increases, the total resistance across that half decreases further. As, voltage and resistance are directly proportional with the current constant, the voltage in V2 decreases and V1 voltage increases. Am I right?

The current is always the SAME throughout in a series circuit. Which means, that even if you increase the resistance or decrease it, the current through each resistor will be the same. This means that the voltage across each resistor = IR. So, since the current is same, the one with the higher resistance will have the higher voltage across it. So, B.

Reaction score
The current is always the SAME throughout in a series circuit. Which means, that even if you increase the resistance or decrease it, the current through each resistor will be the same. This means that the voltage across each resistor = IR. So, since the current is same, the one with the higher resistance will have the higher voltage across it. So, B.

Yes, I know that. But, isn't the resistance across V2 less than the resistance across V1?

Reaction score
Yes, I know that. But, isn't the resistance across V2 less than the resistance across V1?

No. Why? The resistance across V2 is greater. They said that the resistance of R is increased which means that the total resistance across V2 is now greater the voltage across V2 is greater.

Reaction score
No. Why? The resistance across V2 is greater. They said that the resistance of R is increased which means that the total resistance across V2 is now greater.

In parallel arrangement, when you increase the resistance of one of the resistor, doesn't the combined resistance decrease?

Reaction score

If you're saying that because the two resistors are in parallel, then do remember that the voltage across both of the resistors is the same, so, if the resistance of one of them increases, the voltage across both the resistors will increase.

Reaction score
Aoa.I heard that the students giving the exams of Physics,Chem, Bio are not eligible to appear for the combined sciences exam.Is it true? Please help.Thanks.

Reaction score
You should have good concepts and understand every topic, no ratta in these.
And of course, like others, past papers are a must.

No ratta? Yaar bachay ko Chemistry ATP ka tou batao, Computer ATC ka tou batao. Aese waisy no ratta? :p