• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Are Auxins (growth hormone in plants) included in our syllabus? I've seen questions related to this in ATP.

Reaction score
Regarding std's, in how much detail do we have to go ? & someone please tell the name of the std's included in our syllabus

Reaction score
in question 4 (b), the marking scheme says that
water present in soil;
absorbed by root;

y is it absorbed?
doesn't water move in to the root hair cells by osmosis
if i wrote water moves in to the root hair cell by osmosis, will my statement be wrong?

Attachments

• 5090_w13_qp_21.pdf
    671.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 5090_w13_ms_21.pdf
    121.1 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
in question 4 (b), the marking scheme says that
water present in soil;
absorbed by root;

y is it absorbed?
doesn't water move in to the root hair cells by osmosis
if i wrote water moves in to the root hair cell by osmosis, will my statement be wrong?
No it wont as far as i know..its basically the same thing a bit more elaborated.PS.where did you get these papers?

Reaction score
Well,the cow returns nitrates to the soil via egestion,urination.By the deamination of amino acids urea is formed and when it is passed out it is present in the soil where the freely present nitrifying bacteria act up on the matter and decompose it to form Nitrate(NO3-) ions,which enter the soil.
The factory on the other hand burns the fuel which contains nitrogen so oxides of nitrogen are emitted as exhaust(you may have read this in chemistry).They are then dissolved in rain to make acid rain,which falls on the soil and the nitrates are returned to soil.Any problem?

Reaction score
Well,the cow returns nitrates to the soil via egestion,urination.By the deamination of amino acids urea is formed and when it is passed out it is present in the soil where the freely present nitrifying bacteria act up on the matter and decompose it to form Nitrate(NO3-) ions,which enter the soil.
The factory on the other hand burns the fuel which contains nitrogen so oxides of nitrogen are emitted as exhaust(you may have read this in chemistry).They are then dissolved in rain to make acid rain,which falls on the soil and the nitrates are returned to soil.Any problem?
thnx bro

Reaction score
Galvanizing iron means coating it with zinc. Zinc is much more corrosion-resistant than iron (despite being a more active metal) because its oxide, ZnO, adheres to the surface of the metal rather than spalling off to expose more zinc to the atmosphere. In other words, the iron is covered by a metal which does not corrode.
Sacrificial protection, on the other hand, entails protecting the iron with a sacrificial anode made of a more active metal such as magnesium, which will oxidize preferentially to the iron. The iron cannot be oxidized because the iron cations will be reduced by the more active metal anode. When the sacrificial anode is depleted, the iron will begin to corrode.
I HOPE IT HELPS.... :p:p:p;););)(y)(y)

Reaction score
What is Galvanizing and Sacrificial Protection? [Chemistry] :/
both galvanizing and sacrificial protection are methods of preventing rusting

in galvanizing, a layer of zinc is electroplated on iron to prevent air and water from coming in contact with the iron
it is done on dustbins mostly

in sacrificial protection, magnesium is connected to the iron. Mg being more reactive reacts with the water and air instead of the iron. therefore no water or air comes in contact with the iron and the iron does not rust. this method is used in ships mostly