• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

biology p61

Reaction score
lolostar95 said:
phro5031 said:
lolostar95 said:
ok now what was the similarity between the two freakin' drawings(the ginger and the lotus)

i wrote a stupid answer since it was a stupid question , i wrote they both have greyish inner body , hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :ROFLMAO:
BTW I did the same :lol:

hahahahahah , coool XD :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!:

Reaction score
lolostar95 said:
She7taman said:
Divalicious said:
Yep...
Too bad all my colleagues are still arguing with me, saying it's supposed to be a line graph, and I can't seem to convince them :shock:
And I bet they'll just go to teachers, and just explain the question in a vague way, like 'how to plot results for enzymes activity?' and teachers would just say it's line graph -.-

That's exactly the case over here, with some teachers saying line graph because all the students told them was "enzymes". I do hope line graph is rejected, just so I can watch their pitiful arrogance smash against the wall of reality as their ignorance is vibrant in the debris.
see this question wasnt clear ..... I think that the bio and the esl examiner are brothers their mind is so different from the normal human :p

yea , the biology and english as a second language paper 21 was so bad XD , i will lose many marks , i am so scared not to get a star in it ....the BIOLOGY , its normal , hahahah , ITS OUT OF THE QUESTION , THE EXAM WAS MAD =@

Reaction score
ok umm it was enzyme activity so it IS a line graph. look in any enzyme graphs and u will see that it is LINE graph, never saw a enzyme with bar.
besides, it was a curve when i did it, so i think that it is totally correct, as enzyme activity is usually a curve !!

Reaction score
ynateil said:
ok umm it was enzyme activity so it IS a line graph. look in any enzyme graphs and u will see that it is LINE graph, never saw a enzyme with bar.
besides, it was a curve when i did it, so i think that it is totally correct, as enzyme activity is usually a curve !!

This here is the problem. The IGCSE system is built to break such primitive thinking that assumes that if A has always given the result B, then A always gives the result B. They purposely change things up to identify such people.

I'm sorry, but it's simply stupid to assume that because anything involving "enzyme activity" has had a line graph in the past, that this would be the same. What if they made an experiment where they were only checking whether the enzymes had worked or not? In this case, there'd be no rate to have a line graph on. It's either yes or no.

As in the exam's case, it was checking whether the enzyme in each filter paper had made a yellowish brown circle or not.

If you only retaliate with "it had enzyme activity so line graph" then I must say that that is a very poor argument. It being a line graph is a logical fallacy.

Explain then to me, if you are so sure of your answer, what the result would be at decimal intervals in time on your graph. In the bar chart, there would be no value at such points, because the experimenter had not checked, and it cannot possibly be a merge of the points that it is in between. Had the man checked at 3.5, there would always be exact values. On your graph, the majority of such points would be decimals.

No matter how fast or slow the enzyme was, there could never be an intermediate. He only counted the number of areas that had a reaction.

Think about it.

Reaction score
She7taman said:
ynateil said:

This here is the problem. The IGCSE system is built to break such primitive thinking that assumes that if A has always given the result B, then A always gives the result B. They purposely change things up to identify such people.

I'm sorry, but it's simply stupid to assume that because anything involving "enzyme activity" has had a line graph in the past, that this would be the same. What if they made an experiment where they were only checking whether the enzymes had worked or not? In this case, there'd be no rate to have a line graph on. It's either yes or no.

As in the exam's case, it was checking whether the enzyme in each filter paper had made a yellowish brown circle or not.

If you only retaliate with "it had enzyme activity so line graph" then I must say that that is a very poor argument. It being a line graph is a logical fallacy.
Exactly.
'Enzyme Activity' is a just a vague main idea, having hundreds of different possible ways to investigate. I could observer colour changes of indicators for product, count bubbles given off or volume of gas [as in catalase experiments], check for substrate concentration/mass left, or even check the time for a filter paper to rise in a solution...etc
It's stupid to assume that there's only 1 way of representing all of these different possibilities, just because it involves the word 'enzyme'.

Reaction score
why don't we just forget about paper 6 and concentrate on other things , what is done is done guys , just let it go

Reaction score
phro5031 said:
why don't we just forget about paper 6 and concentrate on other things , what is done is done guys , just let it go

Yeah you're right. There's no use crying over spilled milk.

But then when that milk keeps b**ching about how it's right and you're wrong, I think you'd need to clean it up then.

Reaction score
She7taman said:
phro5031 said:

Yeah you're right. There's no use crying over spilled milk.

But then when that milk keeps b**ching about how it's right and you're wrong, I think you'd need to clean it up then.

YEA OF COURSE YOU'RE RIGHT BUT WHEN YOU THROW THE MILK THERE WILL BE NO GOING BACK TO IT , RIGHT??? :D

Reaction score
ya like i guess i had good time but wat did your graph look like and was it a bar chart or a line graph

Reaction score
koalm619 said:
ya like i guess i had good time but wat did your graph look like and was it a bar chart or a line graph

i made it line , but i know it is the correct answer to draw the bar chart but i was afraid they would make it wrong !!!!! :fool: you know they have always made it line or curve so i didnot think well about it :crazy: :D but NO problem , just don't get angry because of misunderstanding in the opinions of others :D :D

Reaction score
@Divalicious like you are correct about your statement but the question was about the time taken for the enzymes to work and that's by replacing it one by the other and they were not talking about either it made a yellow circle or not cuz at the end it will form a yellow circle .......... so i believe your mistaken my friend :wink: :sorry:

Reaction score
The question clearly stated, and I think made it very vivid for us students to PLOT a graph, which shows the VARIATION. I think that makes things very simple. It should be a line graph. What did you all answer for the second part, in which we were asked to explain I wrote about the different enzyme concentrations, and the ability of the paper to absorb the paper, (ie that adhesion of the paper) was longer and this took time.
Also what did you all answer for the adaptations of the lotus plant.
It was a hard paper indeed.

Reaction score
koalm619 said:
@Divalicious like you are correct about your statement but the question was about the time taken for the enzymes to work and that's by replacing it one by the other and they were not talking about either it made a yellow circle or not cuz at the end it will form a yellow circle .......... so i believe your mistaken my friend :wink: :sorry:
Okay lets try another approach...
Lets assume you draw a line. That means every single point on the line, even between the given points, is true right?
And what did the question mention clearly? That the table gives the number of NEW (I repeat NEW) orange areas each time.
At 1 min, it was 14 areas. Since you think a line is the right way, let's take a point on your line. Hmm..How about (0.5, 7?) That indicates that after half a minute, there were 7 NEW (I repeat again, NEW) areas. Lets look again at the (1,14) point. It says there're 14 NEW areas after 1 minute. That means during one minute there were 7 + 14 = 21 NEW areas? Don't tell me that those 7 are included in the 14, since they wont be 'new' after 1 minute.
==It's impossible to represent it by a line graph==

Reaction score
Ashique said:
The question clearly stated, and I think made it very vivid for us students to PLOT a graph, which shows the VARIATION. I think that makes things very simple. It should be a line graph. What did you all answer for the second part, in which we were asked to explain I wrote about the different enzyme concentrations, and the ability of the paper to absorb the paper, (ie that adhesion of the paper) was longer and this took time.
Also what did you all answer for the adaptations of the lotus plant.
It was a hard paper indeed.

Agreed, it was a line graph, nobody in my entire class drew a bar chart.

Reaction score
xIshtar said:

So? Your entire class could be wrong. My entire class did the maths sequence question wrong except me, does that mean they were right?

Reaction score
Divalicious said:
xIshtar said:

So? Your entire class could be wrong. My entire class did the maths sequence question wrong except me, does that mean they were right?

sorry id my question is irrelevant .. but what did you do at the sequence question ???

Reaction score
@Dooouuu
The question said the equation gives the total number of lines for the FIRST n diagrams, not the nth diagram/
That means when you take 'n' as 2, it's equal to the sum of lines in the FIRST TWO DIAGRAMS = 12 NOT 9
Same thing with 'n' as 3, 'FIRST THREE DIAGRAMS' = 3+9+18= 30 NOT 18. Then you just solve them simultaneously.
The two equations are:
8a+4b+2=12
27a+9b+3=30
I hope you get it. And after you solve it try to substitue your results with n=4 or n=5 and draw the diagrams and count, and always add all the previous diagrams each time, you'll always see it's right ;)
(The equation was an^3+bn^2+n incase you forogt, and the correct answers are a=0.5 and b=1.5)