• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIOLOGY paper 2 (urgent)

Reaction score
From October/ November 2003 nO 3

(b)
Olestra is a synthetic, edible fat similar to naturally occuring saturaed (animal) fat. the human alimentary canal and associated organs cannot produce an appropriate enzyme to act on it.

(i) State a process that all fats, including olestra, undergo in the alimentary canal

(ii) State two processes that all fats, other than olestra, undergo in the alimentary canal.

(c) suggest two health-related advantages of using olestra in food preparation

(d) suggest a possible disadvantage of using olestra

Reaction score
Diishiik Douw said:

(b)
Olestra is a synthetic, edible fat similar to naturally occuring saturaed (animal) fat. the human alimentary canal and associated organs cannot produce an appropriate enzyme to act on it.

(i) State a process that all fats, including olestra, undergo in the alimentary canal
Is it peristalsis / mechanical digestion?

(ii) State two processes that all fats, other than olestra, undergo in the alimentary canal.
Is it emulsification and hydrolysis?

(i) emulsification
(ii) digestion and absorption
(iii) deposits of fat is not formed in artery walls and prevents obesity
(iv)no fats to build protoplasm or no fats as heat insulator...

Reaction score
Suggest an explanation for the fact that the chemicals produced by endrocrine glands are usually in the form of small molecules

Reaction score
so that they can diffuse in blood to be transported to target organs easily...
and for glucose : it is oxidised to release energy for activities if the fungus...

Reaction score
1. Suggest why some insects that are parasitic on plants obtain their food from the phloem rather than from xylem.

2. Albino people lack colouring material(pigment) in their bodies. suggest why albinopeople should avoid looing at bright lights.

3. (i) state and explain the special dietary needs of a pregnant woman;
(ii) describe the advantages of breast milk over bottled milk (3 advantages)

4. Suggest why the temperature inside the leaf never rises above 30 degree, even though the air temperature rises much higher than this.

5. (a) what is meant by the terms variation, and continuous variation?

Reaction score
1.These insects require food for respiration(glucose) to carry out their activities and for protein synthesis... Since phloem of leaves carry food in the form of sucrose(sugar) solution, the insects can use this sugar for respiration as compared to xylem which carries only water and mineral salts and ions...

2. i dnt know

3.(i)She should include increased amount of carbohydrate, protein, vitamins and minerals...
she should have a balanced diet... extra carbohydrate in the diet provides the extra energy required to carry the baby in her womb.
extra protein in the diet provides the extra raw material needed for the growth of embryo and uterus of the woman.
extra vitamins are needed to maintain both the woman and the fetus in good health.
extra minerals in thee diet especially iron and calcium are essential...
iron is essential for the synthesis of haemoglobin in red blood cells of the woman and the fetus. iron is also essential to build up a store of iron in liver of fetus to last for 4 to 6 months after birth...
calcium is needed to build healthy bones in the fetus..

(ii) breast milk is the ideal food as it contains adequate amount of carbohydrate proteins and fats
it contains antibodies and protects the new born from the same diseases as the mother
it is warm and germ-free...

4. evaporation of water from the leaves of the plant has a cooling effect on the plant...

5 (a)
u meant to say discontinuous variation?

variation is the differences in a characteristic between members of the same species...
continuous variation is a type of variation in which the differences in a characteristic are not clear cut, there is a range of intermediate forms between the extremes... for example height in man, intelligence in man...

Reaction score
Albino people lack colouring material(pigment) in their bodies. suggest why albino people should avoid looking at bright lights.

Albinos lack pigment in their iris and choroid. Usually, the choroid is pigmented to avoid internal reflection of light inside the eye, which will damage the retina. Without the presence of this pigment, internal reflection of light will occur and thus obviously, damage the retina.

That's a past paper question right?

Reaction score
Pals_1010 said:
Albino people lack colouring material(pigment) in their bodies. suggest why albino people should avoid looking at bright lights.

Albinos lack pigment in their iris and choroid. Usually, the choroid is pigmented to avoid internal reflection of light inside the eye, which will damage the retina. Without the presence of this pigment, internal reflection of light will occur and thus obviously, damage the retina.

That's a past paper question right?
yeah it's from a past paper...
:)
ey thanks btw

Reaction score

(b)

Send the answer plz .
I need to correct the papers