• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 3

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the graph in the first question
Like I understand the fovea has the most light sensitive cells and the optic disc/blind spot doesn't have any but I don't get the graph it self (the way it's labelled and drawn)

Attachments

• 0610_s10_qp_31.pdf
    361.5 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
X and Y is basically the distance from the start point of the retina to its end (as you can see from the eye diagram in the previous page). The graph is basically showing you that as you go alone the retina (starting from point X) the amount of rods first increases and then suddenly decrease at a certain place, G. You probable know that G is the fovea because it mainly contains cones, not rods (which is why the graph line disappears in G, because there's no rods in that area). The amount of rods then increase for a while before decreasing again and disappearing (you can also use the diagram of the eye to notice the "unusual" areas on the retina). H, is named the blind spot because it doesn't contain any light-sensitive cells (cones and rods).

I hope that helped. I didn't know exactly what you wanted to be explained :/

Reaction score
X and Y is basically the distance from the start point of the retina to its end (as you can see from the eye diagram in the previous page). The graph is basically showing you that as you go alone the retina (starting from point X) the amount of rods first increases and then suddenly decrease at a certain place, G. You probable know that G is the fovea because it mainly contains cones, not rods (which is why the graph line disappears in G, because there's no rods in that area). The amount of rods then increase for a while before decreasing again and disappearing (you can also use the diagram of the eye to notice the "unusual" areas on the retina). H, is named the blind spot because it doesn't contain any light-sensitive cells (cones and rods).

I hope that helped. I didn't know exactly what you wanted to be explained :/
It did
you explained it very nicely :) thanks