• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 5 (A2)

Reaction score
Is there any particular chapters I should put more effort? Or I should read all the chapters?

Reaction score
There is nothing really i wish i could tell you, but the way everyone revises it, is through past papers and Examiner reports this is what i would do solve the papers first without attempting to study nothing okay (May/june 07-on wards.), and i advise you heavily to revise P5 first then P4, because if paper 5 gets delayed to 3 months before the exam it's over, you won't perform well in it. ummm if you have the Mary Jones revision guide for Biology read the area that covers paper 5 well!! like t-test and chi-test (dep. variable and indep. variable), you need some stats. knowledge very important e.g if you take S1 in math that would be at you're advantage, its not alot of knowledge you need just enough. Revise all the experiments in IGCSE Biology paper 6 before you attempt on writing notes for P5 so go back and revise paper 6 notes and experiments. Bring a big copybook for p5 biology, now solve the papers and see you're mistakes if you did make valid points in you're answers (it must get to examiner report standards figure it out.), then note it down, see any relationship between you're IGCSE experiments and the newly modified A level experiments mentioned in the pastpapers, and know them well note it down, esp. if it involves planning an experiments, focus on the applications (chapters) part for paper 5 the book might not be enough do research on every topic in the application chapter it will benefit both p4 and p5, vast knowledge helps especially with CIE :) make sure you read the E.R reports well I emphasize on it. moreover keep strengthening you're notes for P5 make it valuable if you know what I mean ;) but most importantly a few points you need to work on: 1. All plant experiments especially measuring the rates 2. when it comes to measuring rates anything can come up eg. rate of change in glucose concentration. so work on it 3. Chromatography, DNA fingerprinting, etc.. all possible candidates this year so Research is no. 1 when it comes to A2 biology (just saying) 4. figure out a pattern when it comes to planning the past papers might not be enough so look up other experiments in paper 3, possible and see how the examiners description on planning the experiment for the candidate its precise understandable and simple but you'll need to modify it as it is more instructional than plannable, 5. know you're Damn APPARATUS, very very important know how to use it so you can describe how to use it, don't fall out of the syllabus neither do you limit yourself to the syllabus and as soon as the preparation is done bring another 2 sets of pastpapers for P5 and solve them again. make it perfect re-read the P5 notes again in the Mary Jones Revision guide if you have any doubt memorize each and every planning procedure mentioned in paper 5 past paper especially when they explain in the marking scheme how to use something, don't forget to mention precautions in you're planning, this also be mentioned in the mary jones revison guide so read it Word to WORD 5 times, thats all I can say Good luck and mind you not alot of people this year got good A level results in Biology why? because research is not apart of their study plan and CIE has become more strict with marking, so the best offense will be rejected by a well prepared defense Good Luck :)

Reaction score
There is nothing really i wish i could tell you, ......... Good Luck :)

Thank you so much!!!!!
Thanks for taking your time to type all these!!!!
It really helps me a lot!! At least I know what kind of things i should focus on.. Thanks..
My trial is coming soon.. First paper will be Bio paper 5.. So yea..
Thanks a lot!!! :)

Reaction score
Asalam o alaikum plzzz can anyone tell me how to make serial dilutions Q1 (b) 9700/53/o/n/12.
from 25mmoldm-3 sodium nitrate to 20,15,10 and 5 mmoldm-3.
molar mass of sodium nitrate is 85g mol-1...
plz help someone!!

Reaction score
There is nothing really i wish i could tell you, but the way everyone revises it, is through past papers and Examiner reports this is what i would do solve the papers first without attempting to study nothing okay (May/june 07-on wards.), and i advise you heavily to revise P5 first then P4, because if paper 5 gets delayed to 3 months before the exam it's over, you won't perform well in it. ummm if you have the Mary Jones revision guide for Biology read the area that covers paper 5 well!! like t-test and chi-test (dep. variable and indep. variable), you need some stats. knowledge very important e.g if you take S1 in math that would be at you're advantage, its not alot of knowledge you need just enough. Revise all the experiments in IGCSE Biology paper 6 before you attempt on writing notes for P5 so go back and revise paper 6 notes and experiments. Bring a big copybook for p5 biology, now solve the papers and see you're mistakes if you did make valid points in you're answers (it must get to examiner report standards figure it out.), then note it down, see any relationship between you're IGCSE experiments and the newly modified A level experiments mentioned in the pastpapers, and know them well note it down, esp. if it involves planning an experiments, focus on the applications (chapters) part for paper 5 the book might not be enough do research on every topic in the application chapter it will benefit both p4 and p5, vast knowledge helps especially with CIE :) make sure you read the E.R reports well I emphasize on it. moreover keep strengthening you're notes for P5 make it valuable if you know what I mean ;) but most importantly a few points you need to work on: 1. All plant experiments especially measuring the rates 2. when it comes to measuring rates anything can come up eg. rate of change in glucose concentration. so work on it 3. Chromatography, DNA fingerprinting, etc.. all possible candidates this year so Research is no. 1 when it comes to A2 biology (just saying) 4. figure out a pattern when it comes to planning the past papers might not be enough so look up other experiments in paper 3, possible and see how the examiners description on planning the experiment for the candidate its precise understandable and simple but you'll need to modify it as it is more instructional than plannable, 5. know you're Damn APPARATUS, very very important know how to use it so you can describe how to use it, don't fall out of the syllabus neither do you limit yourself to the syllabus and as soon as the preparation is done bring another 2 sets of pastpapers for P5 and solve them again. make it perfect re-read the P5 notes again in the Mary Jones Revision guide if you have any doubt memorize each and every planning procedure mentioned in paper 5 past paper especially when they explain in the marking scheme how to use something, don't forget to mention precautions in you're planning, this also be mentioned in the mary jones revison guide so read it Word to WORD 5 times, thats all I can say Good luck and mind you not alot of people this year got good A level results in Biology why? because research is not apart of their study plan and CIE has become more strict with marking, so the best offense will be rejected by a well prepared defense Good Luck :)

This is so helpfull thanks alooot :)
But how can I get this experiment notes of p6 in o.l any source ?

Reaction score
hello, i need help on how to do bio practical report for paper 5.
this include aims , risk assesment and conclusion.
do i need to do it in essay format?