• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

*Biology Paper 5 tips*

Reaction score
Regarding table 3.1, if you're wondering about how to complete the expected values, then look at page 8 of this thread. Someone had already asked this question and it was answered. Other than that, the rest of the columns just involve simple calculations.
I agree with you, sometimes that whole degrees of freedom thing can be really annoying, and to be honest I'm not still 100% sure I managed it perfectly or not, but from what I understood from doing past papers, when you're dealing with a x2 test, you look at the number of phenotypes/categories that you look at their expected and observed values, then minus one from that number. In that question, for example, there were 3 categories: grazed for 2 years, ungrazed for 10 years and ungrazed for 30 years. Degrees of freedom would therefore be 3-1=2.
When you're dealing with t tests, you look for the number of samples taken to calculate each mean, minus 1 from each, then add them together. For example, if they tell you that they obtained 10 leaves, measured the surface area of each and obtained a mean for their values, then brought another 10 leaves from a different plant, measured the surface area of each, and obtained a mean for their values. When you compare these 2 means (using a t test), the degrees of freedom would be (10-1) + (10-1) = 18.
Remember, the rule is (n-1). I hope you got it!
(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or add information I missed out on.

thank you so much :) this is really helpful

Reaction score
So what are the main experiments we should focus on for tomorrow? Is there any point in studying the practical booklets?

Reaction score
i at times don't get the independent and the dependent variable right.. If anyone could explain ?
Iknow
  • Independent Variables are changes that occur in an experiment that are directly caused by the experimenter (you.)
  • Dependent Variables are changes that occur due to independent variables.

But when it comes it doing the questions i often get it wrong..
    SOMEONE ?

Reaction score
i at times don't get the independent and the dependent variable right.. If anyone could explain ?
Iknow
  • Independent Variables are changes that occur in an experiment that are directly caused by the experimenter (you.)
  • Dependent Variables are changes that occur due to independent variables.

But when it comes it doing the questions i often get it wrong..
    SOMEONE ?
Whatever you're testing for will be the dependant variable. Say for Effect of Light on the rate of Photosynthesis. the rate of photosynthesis is what you're testing-it's the dependent variable. But what are you testing it with? Light. So light will be your independent variable.

Reaction score
Whatever you're testing for will be the dependant variable. Say for Effect of Light on the rate of Photosynthesis. the rate of photosynthesis is what you're testing-it's the dependent variable. But what are you testing it with? Light. So light will be your independent variable.

Some more examples?