• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Practical Paper 33 Discussion "Over 24 Hours"

Reaction score
Hello there,

it has been 24 hours.
How was Biology Paper 33?

I screwed up 10 marks for Drawing and Answering the stupid Suggest where the Plant came from question.

I'd found the diagram for Fig 2.2.

biodisc-cross-section-of-a-pondweed-potamogeton-hydrophytic-monocot-leaf-lm-x30.jpg

Cross-Section of a Pondweed (Potamogeton) Hydrophytic Monocot Leaf, LM X30 Photographic

It was stupid of CIE to test us on Aerenchyma when it is not included in AS Syllabus.

Also how did you draw the drawing for J1?

I'd drawn something like this.
upload_2016-5-18_19-34-53.png

And the 4 adjacent cells? How did you draw it?
I draw two cells in epidermal layer, and two within epidermal layer....

Reaction score
Hello there,

it has been 24 hours.
How was Biology Paper 33?

I screwed up 10 marks for Drawing and Answering the stupid Suggest where the Plant came from question.

I'd found the diagram for Fig 2.2.

biodisc-cross-section-of-a-pondweed-potamogeton-hydrophytic-monocot-leaf-lm-x30.jpg

Cross-Section of a Pondweed (Potamogeton) Hydrophytic Monocot Leaf, LM X30 Photographic

It was stupid of CIE to test us on Aerenchyma when it is not included in AS Syllabus.

Also how did you draw the drawing for J1?

I'd drawn something like this.
View attachment 60542

And the 4 adjacent cells? How did you draw it?
I draw two cells in epidermal layer, and two within epidermal layer....
I drew a similar one, but for the 4 cells, I drew all four cells of the epidermis, I don't know which one is correct
and yeah, it wasn't supposed to be from the syllabus, therefore!
what did you write for habitat?

Reaction score
I drew a similar one, but for the 4 cells, I drew all four cells of the epidermis, I don't know which one is correct
and yeah, it wasn't supposed to be from the syllabus, therefore!
what did you write for habitat?
I didn't know It stated 4 different cells from epidermis.
I took :
XX - 2 inner cells from epidermis
XX - 2 epidermis layer cells

I saw people drawing 2 guard cells, one vacuole cells, and one blank cell mostly.

I draw in because I can't find the guard cell in my sample. Also determining the 2 vascular bundle was totally hard. Especially with those air space. and the vascular bundle can't find where is the xylem and pholem. located.

Reaction score
I took :
XX - 2 inner cells from epidermis
XX - 2 epidermis layer cells

I saw people drawing 2 guard cells, one vacuole cells, and one blank cell mostly.

I draw in because I can't find the guard cell in my sample. Also determining the 2 vascular bundle was totally hard. Especially with those air space. and the vascular bundle can't find where is the xylem and pholem. located.
what were your answers for the time taken to reach the surface of H? In our center, the hydrogen peroxide provided, almost all decomposed, so they brought some fresh, even though so many of the students had already done question 1, but they asked us to repeat it if we found our results unlikely. But even with the fresh one, no paper came back to surface :p Something was seriously wrong with the H solution, so everyone just estimated the time xD

Reaction score

XX
XX
what were your answers for the time taken to reach the surface of H? In our center, the hydrogen peroxide provided, almost all decomposed, so they brought some fresh, even though so many of the students had already done question 1, but they asked us to repeat it if we found our results unlikely. But even with the fresh one, no paper came back to surface :p Something was seriously wrong with the H solution, so everyone just estimated the time xD
Technically you can complain to CIE Board by email with your centre number. I'd heard they will reset the paper if all H2O2 was decomposed.
They will also lower the grading threshold if you complained.

Mine was a missing syringe, but I got an replacement by the lab assistance.

results was:
Temp - Time
27 (room temp) - 24 - 27
40 - 29 - 31
50 - 37 - 36
60 - 53 - 55
70 (Question wanted) - more than 120 - more than 120

almost consistent results

The H2O2 was "resued" for 1st and left over for the 2nd reading.

I was given 6 petri dishes but I didn't use all, hopefully didn't deduct marks for that.

I used one petri dish to clean my tweezers

Also isn't there a switch for tables in your zone? I'm in Zone 5 Malaysia, you are in Zone?

Reaction score
Technically you can complain to CIE Board by email with your centre number. I'd heard they will reset the paper if all H2O2 was decomposed.

results was:
Temp - Time
27 (room temp) - 24 - 27
40 - 29 - 31
50 - 37 - 36
60 - 53 - 55

I was given 6 petri dishes but I didn't use all, hopefully didn't deduct marks for that.

Also isn't there a switch for tables in your zone? I'm in Zone 5 Malaysia, you are in Zone?
zone 4. We had 34 room temp :p
and nah, our results were QUITE different, nothing like 29s or anything
What's the use of only my complaining? I don't know anybody from the center so they could join me. CIE probably won't take notice if a single candidate complained, but overall the paper went good!

Reaction score

results was:
Temp - Time
27 (room temp) - 24 - 27
40 - 29 - 31
50 - 37 - 36
60 - 53 - 55

zone 4. We had 34 room temp :p
and nah, our results were QUITE different, nothing like 29s or anything
What's the use of only my complaining? I don't know anybody from the center so they could join me. CIE probably won't take notice if a single candidate complained, but overall the paper went good!

Good for you. Mine was in Air conditioned lab. Soo lower that expected.
Aren't you guys sweating like a dog, with lab coat on in 34 'C ?
I will literally sweating even in Air Cond Conditions.

But Malaysia was also 33'C on a norm afternoon ._.

Reaction score
Good for you. Mine was in Air conditioned lab. Soo lower that expected.
Aren't you guys sweating like a dog, with lab coat on in 34 'C ?
I will literally sweating even in Air Cond Conditions.

But Malaysia was also 33'C on a norm afternoon ._.
Malaysia has such an ideal weather...our lab was air conditioned too, outdoor temperature usually is around 45 or 50

Last edited:
Reaction score
Malaysia has such idea weather...our lab was air conditioned too, outdoor temperature usually is around 45 or 50
Ouch, I see you are from Pakistan. Never knew the weather is so hot there.
Because we're consider a hot and humid tropical area on the equator. haha