• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology practical, Serial dilution

Reaction score
Hey!
Can someone tell me how to perform the serial dilution correctly?
I have seen two methods.
one is by taking 9cm3 from the actual solution and adding 1cm3 of water, then repeating with this diluted solution by taking again 9cm3 and adding 1cm3 water and so on..

the other method is taking 10 cm3 and adding zero water, then taking 8 cm3 and adding 2 cm3 of water making it up to 10. then 6 cm3 solution and 4 cm3 water, and it goes on till 0 cm3 solution and 10 cm3 water

So which one should i use for the AS biology board practical?
thanks

Reaction score
Hey!
Can someone tell me how to perform the serial dilution correctly?
I have seen two methods.
one is by taking 9cm3 from the actual solution and adding 1cm3 of water, then repeating with this diluted solution by taking again 9cm3 and adding 1cm3 water and so on..

the other method is taking 10 cm3 and adding zero water, then taking 8 cm3 and adding 2 cm3 of water making it up to 10. then 6 cm3 solution and 4 cm3 water, and it goes on till 0 cm3 solution and 10 cm3 water

So which one should i use for the AS biology board practical?
thanks
Hay
In serial Dilution, when there is a picture given and shown how it must be carried out , we should do the First methode you quoted. And if there is no picture given thn we need to do the other way (method 2 you quoted) and this time we need to record the results in a table. But for method 1 there is space below the Picture already provided to record our results.
I'm glad I could Help you :)