• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIOLOGY practicals help

Reaction score
Emily793 said:
this is the reply to eyamwir question above... the on he posted the question paper

thank you emily. i'll be doing my practical today, in the morning :s wish me tons of luck. so i just got to remember

for table
i)list all the experiments/labelled test tubes
ii)independent variable
iii)dependent variable
iv) rate if any experiment involve in measuring time
v) units in each heading
vi) do any repeats for the experiment if necessary, usually 3 trials.

for microscopy
i)magnification
ii)follow the instruction
iii)choose the easiest part to label ; cell wall, cell membrane, nucleus, cytoplasm
iv) eyepiece graticule and the stage micrometer
v) comparing the two different specimens shown : choose around 3-4 statement

i think that's it maybe :)

oh and errors! reducing errors and ways to improve experiments. isn't it all? :)

Reaction score
Yes you are! And dnt forget imprvments! Good luck pal. Everyting gonna be ok. Ill pray 4 you! :good:

Reaction score
Emily793 said:
Yes you are! And dnt forget imprvments! Good luck pal. Everyting gonna be ok. Ill pray 4 you! :good:
thank you emily :) you're right :) i did my practical jn p36 it was okay. :D so i have a week left before paper 4 do you think i could study with you as well? is it possible :)

Reaction score
wow thank you emily :') hmm can i have your email? i could communicate w you easily thro email :) i think i've seen your email in my hotmail is it the gmail?

Reaction score
ive sent you my email add through pm. hope you get it. better use hotmail coz my gmail is not working properly. :)

Reaction score
Emily793 said:
ive sent you my email add through pm. hope you get it. better use hotmail coz my gmail is not working properly. :)

okay then. :) will add you up in a min

Reaction score
emily im online right now let's chat ;) :p hehe cant reply your inbox something wrong with the connection

Reaction score
unknown2011 said:
Guys how do you do this question?
how do you count the divisions, the marking scheme does not make any sense to me. Please solve it..

It's question number 2 in both 31/32 oct/nov 2008 paper

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Interna ... _qp_31.pdf
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Interna ... _qp_32.pdf

Thanks in advance :D

So you count the number of eye piece graticule units in fig2.2. To me, it looks about 8 units. Then compared with the stage micrometer, 8 eye piece graticule units is same as 9 stage micrometer divisions.

We have been told that each division on the stage micrometer is 0.1 mm.

Therfore we divide; (9 x 0.0001) /8. We do this so as to divide the 8 eye piece graticules by 9 of the stage micrometer divisions. As a result we know the size of each eye piece graticule unit.......which is.....0.0001125 metres.

So....each eye piece graticule unit is 0.0001125 units therefore 8 of those would give us the width of the lumen (since 80 eye piece graticule units=the width of lumen) so you just multiple 8 by 0.0001125

The answer is 0.0009. I know the mark scheme is pretty confusing. The stuiped thing is it doesn't even give you any marks for getting the answer. You only get the four marks for collecting the data and writing it down.

Hope that helps you out

Reaction score
lychee26 said:
what is the difference between low power diagram and high power diagram?

Low power is in other words a plan digram.. howere high power inolves details such as individual cells or organelles. :)

Reaction score
Emily could you check if i did the question above correctly. I'm not quite sure about it myself. The mark scheme doesn't tell you the answer, just the method.

Reaction score
Can anyone draw a low power plan diagram labelling mesophyll cells and vascular bundle?

Attachments

• Vascular bundles.PNG
    Vascular bundles.PNG
    490 KB · Views: 133
Reaction score
Do you join points with a ruler or a curve when drawing a curve? loll :%)

And what is the test for starch when in a LOW CONCENTRATION as high concentration turns iodine in potassium iodide dark blue/black

tankyewww :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
you can do both either join with a line or curve.. personally i would go for line.. unless its a curve like the rate of enzyme action then its obvious that you have to use curve

Reaction score
are you guys doing practicals on 8th nov too??
how was p4 guys?? i dont do it as i do bio as an AS... but my friends found it quite tricky and difficult..