• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

brain burners in chem

Reaction score
it is a universally accepted that oxygen is an oxidising agent.....
in a reaction of CFCs with ozone:
ClO + O. -----> Cl + O2
oxygen in the above eq is acting as a reducing agent..........can anyone come up with a satisfactory solution? :shock:

Reaction score
Hmm...
As far as i know, CFCs break down in the stratosphere to form chlorine atoms in the presence of UV light. Then the correct equation for the reaction b/w CFCs and ozone is: Cl + O3 => ClO + O2.
From this it is evident that oxygen(ozone being an allotrope of oxygen) is acting like an oxidising agent. Infact, ozone is known to be a much powerful oxidising agent than oxygen. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you!

Reaction score
the three eq involving the reaction of cfc's with ozone are:
a) CFC------(light)---> Cl + FC
b) Cl + O3 ------> ClO + O2
c) ClO + O. ------> Cl + O2
in eq (c) oxygen is reacting as reducing agent ..why?

Reaction score
Are you completely sure eq (c) exists? As far as i know, ClO is very unstable and breaks up to form chlorine atoms again so (b) is repeated again and again!!! i dont think ClO reacts with oxygen atoms.

Reaction score
our teacher didn't mention this reaction. I guess you should ask ur teacher then and let us know, too. Thanks!