• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BSCS in Fast or Nust ?

Reaction score
AsSalamalaikum
I have completed my A levels and its time for uni, i researched about computer fields as i am developer(masology.com) so found out Computer science which more focuses on programming stuff than computer engineering which is broad field includes electrical eng and software eng but demands further studies (masters).
so i opt out for computer science in Fast and Nust too,
i have heard Fast university to take a hold on computer science more than nust is it true?
is applying to fast for computer science with a higher semester fee(~25k) and a long distance(~ 26km) worth than doing computer science in Nust (semester fee 60k) and distance ~7km

did i opt the right choice for Computer sci than computer eng (computer eng is only offered in Nust)?
is their is any other uni you would like to tell your brother?
i have heard KU, SSU, SZABIST etc
what you suggest?
JazakAllah..

A_K

Reaction score
AsSalamalaikum
I have completed my A levels and its time for uni, i researched about computer fields as i am developer(masology.com) so found out Computer science which more focuses on programming stuff than computer engineering which is broad field includes electrical eng and software eng but demands further studies (masters).
so i opt out for computer science in Fast and Nust too,
i have heard Fast university to take a hold on computer science more than nust is it true?
is applying to fast for computer science with a higher semester fee(~25k) and a long distance(~ 26km) worth than doing computer science in Nust (semester fee 60k) and distance ~7km

did i opt the right choice for Computer sci than computer eng (computer eng is only offered in Nust)?
is their is any other uni you would like to tell your brother?
i have heard KU, SSU, SZABIST etc
what you suggest?
JazakAllah..

GIK and UET lhr offer computer engineering too :) Well fast is usually the best bet when it comes to computer science particularly the lahore campus but let me tell u something ... I am a CS student and I had similar concerns while choosing the uni ... Now after a year I have realized that the Uni brand thing doesn't work when it comes to CS ... A CS grad is successful only if he/she knows his/her deal real good ... Its a field where there are no shortcuts .. u have to master it to the core ! I chose Gik over Fast because I thought its a better "brand" but that honestly doesn't work for CS ... As for CS vs Comp Eng, its basically about your interest but CS definitely has a better job market better than comp engineering.

Reaction score
Always happy to answer to the point and logical questions like these :D So, here goes:
very true, NUST just started Computer Science last year. So, it needs some time to mature that degree. Whereas FAST's CS is old, so it has a mature degree.
However, it is always difficult to compare these two Universitites for Computer Science field. As u might know, that NUST used to offer Bach in IT which essentially is considered almost same in Pakistan when compared to CS. It was a very good degree, and through this, NUST created a lot of industry links as well. So, NUST is using this experience and links to its advantage in conducting CS degree as well. I personally think that NUST will leave FAST behind in the coming years as I see a lot of talented students (in the field of CS) joining NUST and these students will be the ones who'll take the Universities name up to the top!

I always suggest to students that distance to university should not matter when you are going to choose your career. Fee, however, is another matter.
Frankly speaking, this field is such that iff you want to excel, nobody can stop u from doing so. U go in any of these Universities and I assure u, u'll mount new heights if u work hard.

did i opt the right choice for Computer sci than computer eng (computer eng is only offered in Nust)?Well definitely a right choice. There is no second opinion to this. As u mentioned u already are a developer and as a fellow developer and your senior, I assure u, ur choice is perfect! :) is their is any other uni you would like to tell your brother?Again, u already have done your homework on this, ur on the right track. These two are the best in the field. LUMS offers good CS as well, but I presume u have no intentions of coming to Lahore for studies. So drop that option.

Reaction score
Always happy to answer to the point and logical questions like these :D So, here goes:
very true, NUST just started Computer Science last year. So, it needs some time to mature that degree. Whereas FAST's CS is old, so it has a mature degree.
However, it is always difficult to compare these two Universitites for Computer Science field. As u might know, that NUST used to offer Bach in IT which essentially is considered almost same in Pakistan when compared to CS. It was a very good degree, and through this, NUST created a lot of industry links as well. So, NUST is using this experience and links to its advantage in conducting CS degree as well. I personally think that NUST will leave FAST behind in the coming years as I see a lot of talented students (in the field of CS) joining NUST and these students will be the ones who'll take the Universities name up to the top!

I always suggest to students that distance to university should not matter when you are going to choose your career. Fee, however, is another matter.
Frankly speaking, this field is such that iff you want to excel, nobody can stop u from doing so. U go in any of these Universities and I assure u, u'll mount new heights if u work hard.

did i opt the right choice for Computer sci than computer eng (computer eng is only offered in Nust)?Well definitely a right choice. There is no second opinion to this. As u mentioned u already are a developer and as a fellow developer and your senior, I assure u, ur choice is perfect! :) is their is any other uni you would like to tell your brother?Again, u already have done your homework on this, ur on the right track. These two are the best in the field. LUMS offers good CS as well, but I presume u have no intentions of coming to Lahore for studies. So drop that option.

What about CS in GIKI, bro?

Reaction score
What about CS in GIKI, bro?

Well... I don't have the best info about CS in GIKI. I actually haven't seen/met any CS graduate or student from GIKI so not sure how things are there. GIKI is normally praised for its Mech Engg.

Reaction score
Well... I don't have the best info about CS in GIKI. I actually haven't seen/met any CS graduate or student from GIKI so not sure how things are there. GIKI is normally praised for its Mech Engg.

I got an offer in CS, GIKI. I might get a place in material sciences (nanotechnology) or maybe electrical engg. when the new merit list comes. But for that I need to submit their fee (which is about 5 lacs). Kind of risky, dont u thnk? plus, der is no guarantee that i will get a place in these two faculties. Still, fingers crossed.
so, is it worth it?

Reaction score
I got an offer in CS, GIKI. I might get a place in material sciences (nanotechnology) or maybe electrical engg. when the new merit list comes. But for that I need to submit their fee (which is about 5 lacs). Kind of risky, dont u thnk? plus, der is no guarantee that i will get a place in these two faculties. Still, fingers crossed.
so, is it worth it?

That depends on ur merit number. Is is nearly good enough to get u into these faculties? Financially speaking, can u afford to take this risk? Then sure go for it!

Reaction score

this is because GIKI has launched its cs program about 1-2 years back.No one has completed his CS degree from GIKI yet

Reaction score
this is because GIKI has launched its cs program about 1-2 years back.No one has completed his CS degree from GIKI yet

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
So then GIKI will take some time to make its name in the CS industry...

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
What if I didn't take Computer Sciences in O' Level and A' Level?

It doesn't matter. You only need your IBCC equivalence in Science (Pre-Engineering) to get admission in this faculty. And the IBCC equivalence certificate can be made with your normal Phy, Chem and Math subjects at A-level and the 8 compulsory subjects (5 for foreign applicants) at O-level.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. You only need your IBCC equivalence in Science (Pre-Engineering) to get admission in this faculty. And the IBCC equivalence certificate can be made with your normal Phy, Chem and Math subjects at A-level and the 8 compulsory subjects (5 for foreign applicants) at O-level.

That cleared everything. Thanks a lot. :)

Reaction score
If you can work hard and you are competent enough to survive the tough competition, you should definitely consider FAST. Life at Comsats and NUST is easier than life at FAST although you would have to study in both universities if you want to become a good problem solver.
Here is a detailed comparison between NUST/Comsats and FAST, their merits, demerits, pros and cons. CS from FAST or SE from NUST