• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Business studies tips ?!

Reaction score
Hey everyone .. you know that few weeks are left for the exam :( unfortunately I find business studies difficult .. especially p2 :'( any tips on how to solve p2 and how to improve in such a little time :( ?? Thanks in advance ..

Reaction score
Hey everyone .. you know that few weeks are left for the exam :( unfortunately I find business studies difficult .. especially p2 :'( any tips on how to solve p2 and how to improve in such a little time :( ?? Thanks in advance ..

Within the little remaining time you should:
- Read the book thoroughly.
- Do as many past papers as you can. Keep in mind that the marking scheme for business is not like Maths or Physics. It's there for the examiner's "guidance".
- Draw all graphs and charts and make sure you can explain all the stages in them (Product Life Cycle, Demand and supply curve, trade cycle, etc.)
- Take a glossary and make sure you know all the definitions.
- It would be a good idea to look at model answers.
- In paper 2, it would help if you read the case study well. Underline anything you think is important or you can incorporate into your answers to make them more tied to the case. Before writing any answer look at the number of marks and set key points accordingly, which you can expand in your answer. When you are done, assess your answer and ask yourself: Does my response answer the question?
- Finally, take a look at the attached documents.
Good luck.

Attachments

• Examiner_Tips_for_IGCSE_Business_Studies_0450_FINAL.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 35
  • HOW TO MAXIMISE YOUR MARKS-1 Final Copy.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reaction score
With the little remaining time you should:
- Read the book thoroughly.
- Do as many past papers as you can. Keep in mind that the marking scheme for business is not like Maths or Physics. It's there for the examiner's "guidance".
- Draw all graphs and charts and make sure you can explain all the stages in them (Product Life Cycle, Demand and supply curve, trade cycle, etc.)
- Take a glossary and make sure you know all the definitions.
- It would be a good idea to look at model answers.
- In paper 2, it would help if you read the case study well. Underline anything you think is important or you can incorporate into your answers to make them more tied to the case. Before writing any answer look at the number of marks and set key points accordingly, which you can expand in your answer. When you are done, take a quick look at your answer and ask yourself: Does my response answer the question?
- Finally, take a look at the attached documents.
Good luck.
Thank you very much :) (y)

Reaction score

i have a question .. if u dont mind :)
in p2 , should i write in trade credit , owner savings and bank overdraft the definition of each of them and the advs and disadvs then in the recommendation i should write which one i choose and why OR should i write only definations and say in the recommendation what i choose and advs and disadvs of it ?? or should i write something else .. im srry im kinda confused on the pattern of answering p2 questions :( so can u pls help ?? thanks in advance ..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
i have a question .. if u dont mind :)
in p2 , should i write in trade credit , owner savings and bank overdraft the definition of each of them and the advs and disadvs then in the recommendation i should write which one i choose and why OR should i write only definations and say in the recommendation what i choose and advs and disadvs of it ?? or should i write something else .. im srry im kinda confused on the pattern of answering p2 questions :( so can u pls help ?? thanks in advance ..

You don't need to give a full definition (just a few words to show the examiner you know what that form of finance is) and yes, you need to give the advantages and disadvantages of each one.
For example, trade credit: This involves buying the car parts and delaying payments to suppliers. It's an easy to arrange interest-free form of finance, however it has to be eventually repaid back. The suppliers might charge a higher price if items are to be taken on credit and Kolo's business might gain a bad publicity for not being able to pay immediately / on time.
Another example: Owner's savings: This is money that is readily available for use without any interest. It does not have to be repaid back. Kolo might however, not have enough money to finance his stock purchase, particularly if his business has just started up.

In the end give a final recommendation. One thing I used to do is to leave some of the advantages of the one I would be choosing and use them in the final recommendation. Unfortunately, the answers I gave you are almost paper 1 style because I don't have any other details about that business, but this question is a good chance to impress the examiner by showing how you can tie your answer to the case study, so for eg. if it says that business is a sole trader, you can say something like: The business size is small and few suppliers will be willing to credit it, due to the relatively high risk.

P.S. If you have any questions do ask. It's a way for both of us to learn :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You don't need to give a full definition (just a few words to show the examiner you know what that form of finance is) and yes, you need to give the advantages and disadvantages of each one.
For example, trade credit: This involves buying the car parts and delaying payments to suppliers. It's an easy to arrange interest-free form of finance, however it has to be eventually repaid back. The suppliers might charge a higher price if items are to be taken on credit and Kolo's business might gain a bad publicity for not being able to pay immediately / on time.
Another example: Owner's savings: This is money that is readily available for use without any interest. It does not have to be repaid back. Kolo might however, not have enough money to finance his stock purchase, particularly if his business has just started up.

In the end give a final recommendation. One thing I used to do is to leave some of the advantages of the one I would be choosing and use them in the final recommendation. Unfortunately, the answers I gave you are almost paper 1 style because I don't have any other details about that business, but this question is a good chance to impress the examiner by showing how you can tie your answer to the case study, so for eg. if it says that business is a sole trader, you can say something like: The business size is small and few suppliers will be willing to credit it, due to the relatively high risk.

P.S. If you have any questions do ask. It's a way for both of us to learn :)
bgd thank u soooo much !! :) :D

Reaction score
Does any one know about any online solving sites or anything similar
or even solved papers ??
I 've studied but I m not able to answer the papers well and I dont have enough time .
and markschemes are not that helpful plz anyone help