• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CAIE Resource Guide - 1234_S18_QP_12!?

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
So you don't understand how to find past papers, marking schemes etc for your subject?
Don't worry. Its actually pretty straightforward.

Lets take this crazy looking filename for e.g.: 9709_S18_QP_12!?

9709: This is the subject code for e.g. 0610 is IGCSE Biology, 5090 is for O-Level Biology and 9709 would be A Level Mathematics. Check this with your school if you don't know your subject code (or search online ;) ).

S18: This defines the session. 'S' stands for summer i.e. May/June session and 'W' would be winter i.e. Oct/Nov session. The latter number is the year of session.

QP: This would be the resource type.
QP - Question paper​
MS - Marking scheme​
IN - Insert​
SY- Syllabus​
ER - Examiners report​
GT - Grade threshold​
SP - Specimen paper​

12: This is the paper number for e.g.:
1 - Paper 1 (duh!)​
2 - Paper 2​
11 - Paper 1 Variant 1​
12 - Paper 1 Variant 2​
23 - Paper 2 Variant 3​
32 - Paper 3 Variant 2​

So, to sum up, 9709_S18_QP_12 would be A Level Mathematics (9709) May/June 2018 Question Paper Paper 1 Variant 2.

Now lets move onto variants.

Variants are mostly identical papers with slight variations (numerical values etc). This is done to prevent papers leaking online when students from two countries with a significant time difference appear for the same paper.

When revising from past papers, you can just go with any variant of a paper since they are mostly identical (or just do all of them :sneaky:).

Happy paper solving and good luck with your exams! (y)

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
hey so pakistan studies has history and geography how am i supposed to know which one is what?
The official names for 2059 Pakistan Studies papers are
  • Paper 1 The history and culture of Pakistan
  • Paper 2 The environment of Pakistan
Having a quick peek at the content, I'd say Paper 1 is History and Paper 2 is Geography though these are unofficial names that your school might be using.

Last edited:

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
_noorulhudaa_ I see in another post, you mentioned you are doing IGCSE.
Please note the above information is for Cambridge O Level Pakistan Studies (2059) might not apply to Cambridge IGCSE Pakistan Studies (0448).

Can you please confirm if you're doing IGCSE?

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
_noorulhudaa_ Okay I checked further and the above information actually applies to both Cambridge O Level Pakistan Studies (2059) and Cambridge IGCSE Pakistan Studies (0448).

Reaction score
_noorulhudaa_ I see in another post, you mentioned you are doing IGCSE.
Please note the above information is for Cambridge O Level Pakistan Studies (2059) and does not apply to Cambridge IGCSE Pakistan Studies (0448).

Can you please confirm if you're doing IGCSE?
yes, i am doing IGCSE but the thing is our teachers tell us that pakistan studies (2059) and pakistan studies (0448) have the same format and asked us to look for past papers of both

Reaction score
So you don't understand how to find past papers, marking schemes etc for your subject?

9709: This is the subject code for e.g. 0610 is IGCSE Biology, 5090 is for O-Level Biology and 9709 would be A Level Mathematics. Check this with your school if you don't know your subject code (or search online ;) ).

S18: This defines the session. 'S' stands for summer i.e. May/June session and 'W' would be winter i.e. Oct/Nov session. The latter number is the year of session.

QP - Question paper​
MS - Marking scheme​
IN - Insert​
SY- Syllabus​
ER - Examiners report​
GT - Grade threshold​
SP - Specimen paper​

1 - Paper 1 (duh!)​
2 - Paper 2​
11 - Paper 1 Variant 1​
12 - Paper 1 Variant 2​
23 - Paper 2 Variant 3​
32 - Paper 3 Variant 2​

So, to sum up, 9709_S18_QP_12 would be A Level Mathematics (9709) May/June 2018 Question Paper Paper 1 Variant 2.

Variants are mostly identical papers with slight variations (numerical values etc). This is done to prevent papers leaking online when students from two countries with a significant time difference appear for the same paper.

When revising from past papers, you can just go with any variant of a paper since they are mostly identical (or just do all of them :sneaky:).

if s means summer and w means winter what about M?

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you for your explanation. But can you please post what you said in graphic form. I remembered that there was a picture like the one i attached but i cant seem to find it now on your website. I do have the screenshot but it is unclear. So can you please send the clear form to me (or post it) as it is easier to explain it to others about the past paper codes.

Thank you

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Hi, so is there any difference between the winter papers and summer paper? We normally do the winter papers in our country but due to covid we are going to do summer papers. Is one of them more difficult or do the papers focus on different areas?

Reaction score

QP - Question paper​
MS - Marking scheme​
IN - Insert​
SY- Syllabus​
ER - Examiners report​
GT - Grade threshold​
SP - Specimen paper​

1 - Paper 1 (duh!)​
2 - Paper 2​
11 - Paper 1 Variant 1​
12 - Paper 1 Variant 2​
23 - Paper 2 Variant 3​
32 - Paper 3 Variant 2​