• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Calculators permitted to use in exams?

Reaction score
Reaction score
you can use fx 991 ES in your exams
i am a bit of a calculator freak and know a thing or two about this stuff
i used the fx 991 ES in my exams
i also have this one, but it is not allowed:http://www.casio.com/products/Calculators_&_Dictionaries/Graphing/FX-9860GII/
you can use any type of calculator unless it is:
a graphical calculator ( like the one above)
a programmable one (one in which you can write programs; fx 991 ES passes:))
a one with with a qwerty keyboard( ie ones which look like, or function like computers)
ones with the ability to communicate with other devices etc etc etc
BUT THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT THE FX CASIO 991 ES IS NOT ANY OF THESE
So it is allowed in the exams
Hope that helped
P.S : not convinced?
you may ask why

Reaction score
you can use fx 991 ES in your exams
i am a bit of a calculator freak and know a thing or two about this stuff
i used the fx 991 ES in my exams
i also have this one, but it is not allowed:http://www.casio.com/products/Calculators_&_Dictionaries/Graphing/FX-9860GII/
you can use any type of calculator unless it is:
a graphical calculator ( like the one above)
a programmable one (one in which you can write programs; fx 991 ES passes:))
a one with with a qwerty keyboard( ie ones which look like, or function like computers)
ones with the ability to communicate with other devices etc etc etc
BUT THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT THE FX CASIO 991 ES IS NOT ANY OF THESE
So it is allowed in the exams
Hope that helped
P.S : not convinced?
you may ask why

Most importantly, as CIE quotes, the calculator should not have the ability to do algebric manipulation. The differentiation and integration in FX-991/570 ES and MS only gives the numerical answers and not the algebric results, hence, they are completely legal.
Btw, Fx-991ES and MS have the same capabilities except for the different user interface. So enjoy using either of them!

Reaction score
Well I've been using fx 991 ES for 5 years now and I can't tell you of a better calculator.
  • Its ability to integrate and differentiate is very handy in exams when you get weird answer and want to confirm if its right.
  • Also the interface is much better than the MS series.
  • Although I never got into such a situation, the fx 991 ES has a solar panel and could really save you from what might be a nightmare if your batteries are out during the papers.
  • And many more features like tables, matrices, basic algebraic manipulation(not banned), etc.
  • I don't think this counts but fx 991 ES has the best physical shape. :p
You do need to think about one thing though that you have enough time to get used to it. Its not very easy to use straight on the first day, might even be annoying due to its default features like displaying most decimals as fractions, you need to convert it every time. You just need to press 1 button though to change from decimal to fractions so its not a problem once you get used to it.