• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CAMBRIDGE IGCSE BIOLOGY- NEED SOME ADVICE AND TIPS

Reaction score
Hey there, so one of the subjects that I will be taking later on in May is BIOLOGY!
My teacher distributed a Cambridge IGCSE Study Guide Book for Biology by Dave Hayward for us to study.

Apart from studying past papers, does studying from the Study Guide and not the Textbook enable me to ace the test?? Or do i still need to study from the textbook?? Is studying from study guide enough for me to get an A or A star??

I mean, the Study Guide is shorter than the textbook but I'm just worried if it's lacking specificity.... Cuz i just wanna make life easier xD

Anyways, I'm taking Paper 1 3 and 6.. Any advice or tips?? Especially for paper 6, what should i study??

Reaction score
Hey , i did biology igcse in oct/nov 2013 second time and i studied from the study guide you mentioned whch made fail i got an E grade all from that study it lacks from information and details, so i will do Biology again in this may june currently i am studying from complete coursebook (orange colour book) by Ron Pickering its worth to study from it good luck to all.

Reaction score
Hey there, so one of the subjects that I will be taking later on in May is BIOLOGY!
My teacher distributed a Cambridge IGCSE Study Guide Book for Biology by Dave Hayward for us to study.

Apart from studying past papers, does studying from the Study Guide and not the Textbook enable me to ace the test?? Or do i still need to study from the textbook?? Is studying from study guide enough for me to get an A or A star??

I mean, the Study Guide is shorter than the textbook but I'm just worried if it's lacking specificity.... Cuz i just wanna make life easier xD

Anyways, I'm taking Paper 1 3 and 6.. Any advice or tips?? Especially for paper 6, what should i study??
lol hell no. the guide book is just a guide XD so start off with studying ur textbook :) and simultaneously solve past papers :) and check them mark them and time them. do 5-8 each day. get a register for bio. and as u go along the textbook and past papers makes notes of imp stuff which u think u wont remember and especially write down the key words and all facts :D
for paper 6 do hell lots of past papers and have a separate register for P6. do past papers from 2013 down to 2000. check them and make notes of every mistake u make. it will help u alot, trust me :D and when near exam go through ur notes and u will refresh all the imp things and keywords :D then u gonna get A* for sure 100 and 1 % gurranteed XD
and alsosolve alots P1 and try to get 100% in P1 and do make notes of P1 and P3 together :)

Reaction score
lol hell no. the guide book is just a guide XD so start off with studying ur textbook :) and simultaneously solve past papers :) and check them mark them and time them. do 5-8 each day. get a register for bio. and as u go along the textbook and past papers makes notes of imp stuff which u think u wont remember and especially write down the key words and all facts :D
for paper 6 do hell lots of past papers and have a separate register for P6. do past papers from 2013 down to 2000. check them and make notes of every mistake u make. it will help u alot, trust me :D and when near exam go through ur notes and u will refresh all the imp things and keywords :D then u gonna get A* for sure 100 and 1 % gurranteed XD
and alsosolve alots P1 and try to get 100% in P1 and do make notes of P1 and P3 together :)
Thanks for the Tips What grades you got in BIOLOGY?

Reaction score
Hey there. The guidebook is quite good, but don't depend on it entirely, because it lacks a few details which are covered in the textbooks. Do about 3-4 years worth of past-papers (don't go beyond that, you'll be wasting your time). Make a few summary notes and most importantly, understand what you're studying. It's no use to aimlessly memorize notes/texts and solve papers when you have no idea about what you're doing. And do not refer to the mark scheme until you've finished the entire paper. Maintain a healthy life, keep a balance between each subject, enjoy yourself, chill out, and you'll be fine :D
Good luck (y)

Reaction score
Hey there. The guidebook is quite good, but don't depend on it entirely, because it lacks a few details which are covered in the textbooks. Do about 3-4 years worth of past-papers (don't go beyond that, you'll be wasting your time). Make a few summary notes and most importantly, understand what you're studying. It's no use to aimlessly memorize notes/texts and solve papers when you have no idea about what you're doing. And do not refer to the mark scheme until you've finished the entire paper. Maintain a healthy life, keep a balance between each subject, enjoy yourself, chill out, and you'll be fine :D
Good luck (y)[/qui
i will practice pastpapers from 2005 till 2013

Reaction score
Totally up to you, but I'd recommend from 2008-2013. And try doing O-level question papers too, although they are a different course, the syllabus is more or less the same, and the pattern isn't that different. That will really test how much you know and how well versed you are in the subject. ;)

Reaction score
Oh one thing, can i use the syllabus basically as the key for this test? XD rather than studying everything...... Haha

Reaction score
I just wanted a revision guide for igcse so that i can revise. Do anyone have PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ share it with me.

Reaction score
i tried to do some past papers and a lot of the answers can actually be found in the study guide! I personally don't think it lacks too many information because the study guide book actually covers the whole syllabus... But it does lack small details so I use the textbook only for complicated stuff.