• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Can the invigilator stop my further examinations?

Reaction score
ChrisChin said:
It doesn't matter if it's taken away 5 minutes early if:

1) You finish early.
2) Everyone's paper is taken away 5 minutes early.

Keep in mind that all invigilators are using analogue clocks, so all the students the world over are taking exams with the same amount of time to complete it.

It *would* be unfair if you are timed differently, i.e., given an extra 4 minutes.

Fairness is based on consistency rather than accuracy.

Yes, the paper for everyone was taken early, but that isn't supposed to happen. I do not think Invigilators should be given the right to mess up the students' grades just because they can, because when the examiners correct the paper, they wouldn't know nor care if we have had the time allotted to us or not, but that doesn't stop them from grading our papers and penalizing us for an incomplete paper.

1 Hour and 15 Minutes means 1 hour and 15 Minutes, and it should be accurate. We are not being given extra time, but given less time than we deserved.
The papers are set in a way for candidates within that time so that they can take full advantage of it and finish the paper. No one is demanding more time, but we want what we have the right to get.

Reaction score
What you are entitled to, is the same amount of time as everyone else. No more, no less. Accuracy has nothing to do with it.

If you're good enough, you can complete the paper in 1 hour 00 minutes, and STILL have enough time to check your answers. If you're not, the extra 1 minute won't make a difference. :)

You're supposed to plan to finish your paper EARLY so that you still have time to check your solutions, not just in time -- that's where you messed up. The idea is that you spend 2/3rds of your time solving the paper, and the remainder checking to make sure you are turning in a complete, correct paper.

You have not proven that your stopwatch is more accurate, more sensitive and more consistent than the clock. If you really need more time, you should have signed up for our local paper, instead. The standards here are real low, you have a whole 1.5 minutes per mark, twice the 45s per mark given in IGCSE. We have droves of people leaving the exam before the time limit, out of boredom.

What exactly did you expect from the invigilator, anyway? She's paid to follow the rules. She can't look at your stopwatch and say, hey everyone -- I made a mistake, you all have an extra 1 minute 15 seconds to complete your paper. Our friend here will tell us when we are out of time, because his stopwatch is more accurate, more sensitive and more consistent. (Oh, oops... That announcement just took 30s, lets add another 45s to your allowed time + another 5 minutes to ensure total fairness because we need time to get everyone back into their seats and their papers back to them.)

Look, I don't doubt that you are theoretically correct, but that doesn't mean shit, because the time you take up to argue the matter with the invigilator + the time taken to ensure that everything is fair, etc, is more than the time you lost, which wouldn't have been important if you had practiced more and been fast enough to complete the last 4 marks. Plus you can't finish a 4-mark question in 1 minute 19s anyway.

My advice is that you stop stressing yourself out over this small matter and focus on your next paper. Whatever our decision is here, CIE will make the final decision on their own. What the **** do they care about our discussion, anyway?

Reaction score
@ChrisChin I disagree. One minute and 19 seconds can make a lot of difference. Why? because recently I came 4 minutes late to the examination hall, and by that time everyone was already writing the paper. I was writing till the last minute and you know what? Even when one minute was left, I was still writing because I knew the answers, I just needed time to write, so I somehow managed to write as fast I could, [sadly in a messy writing] but still i couldn't just stop writing because only one minute was left could I? So I kept writing and managed to finish the four mark question just at the last second.

Reaction score
ChrisChin said:
What you are entitled to, is the same amount of time as everyone else. No more, no less. Accuracy has nothing to do with it.

If you're good enough, you can complete the paper in 1 hour 00 minutes, and STILL have enough time to check your answers. If you're not, the extra 1 minute won't make a difference. :)

You're supposed to plan to finish your paper EARLY so that you still have time to check your solutions, not just in time -- that's where you messed up. The idea is that you spend 2/3rds of your time solving the paper, and the remainder checking to make sure you are turning in a complete, correct paper.

You have not proven that your stopwatch is more accurate, more sensitive and more consistent than the clock. If you really need more time, you should have signed up for our local paper, instead. The standards here are real low, you have a whole 1.5 minutes per mark, twice the 45s per mark given in IGCSE. We have droves of people leaving the exam before the time limit, out of boredom.

What exactly did you expect from the invigilator, anyway? She's paid to follow the rules. She can't look at your stopwatch and say, hey everyone -- I made a mistake, you all have an extra 1 minute 15 seconds to complete your paper. Our friend here will tell us when we are out of time, because his stopwatch is more accurate, more sensitive and more consistent. (Oh, oops... That announcement just took 30s, lets add another 45s to your allowed time + another 5 minutes to ensure total fairness because we need time to get everyone back into their seats and their papers back to them.)

Look, I don't doubt that you are theoretically correct, but that doesn't mean shit, because the time you take up to argue the matter with the invigilator + the time taken to ensure that everything is fair, etc, is more than the time you lost, which wouldn't have been important if you had practiced more and been fast enough to complete the last 4 marks. Plus you can't finish a 4-mark question in 1 minute 19s anyway.

My advice is that you stop stressing yourself out over this small matter and focus on your next paper. Whatever our decision is here, CIE will make the final decision on their own. What the **** do they care about our discussion, anyway?

For your information, I HAD finished the paper BEFORE the time limit, but I am entitled to write and revise. I have arthritis, it's very hard for me to write yet I had written as fast as I could and did finish the lengthy paper. And by the way, 1 minute does make a lot of difference. 1 Minute is ENOUGH to gain ONE mark. For example, if you're stuck at 89/100, in one minute, you CAN turn it into 90/100. That ONE mark makes a lot of difference.

The 4 mark question was referred to the last year's Physics exam, and yes, I had a 4 mark question left that time. I could have gained 4 marks by writing the 4 short points.
Not everyone can write as fast as you do, some of us can be slow or have some health effects which we can't fight and nor do we want special consideration for anyway.

And I talked to her about the timings AFTER she had finished collecting the papers, to just let her KNOW that she was wrong, so that she wouldn't repeat it the next time.

Reaction score
hey relax!
its okay..they cant do anyhting...plus you havent done anything wrong!
that dude has no right to do anything...
:)

Reaction score
Well, I've stated the facts. You have every right to disagree. Do you deny mine? :)

I know you're stressed over it. I can't see how it would help you to be stressed over it, but well, I can understand.

I do hope you stop "correcting" the invigilators, though. She can't help it -- she's acting under instructions from CIE. Try not to make her life difficult. If you have a complaint, tackle the problem at the root, not the invigilators, and please, not us poor souls trying to explain why the invigilators can't change their orders.

Note: If you're borderline A*, then I guess you are borderline A*. As such, your grade is determined by luck of the draw, rather than time limit. As an educator, I'd advise you to work at being a SOLID A* rather than depending on luck. Your important 1 mark is only important at the borderline. If you had, due to bad luck, gotten 88/100 instead of 89/100 then that 1 additional mark would not bring your score to borderline score 90/100. If you already scored 90/100, then your 1 mark makes no difference at 91/100.

Anyway, this type of debate has been going on since I was a fresh lad of 17. Not that it has made any difference in how invigilators work since invigilators existed.

I mean, what, for instance, is the probability of a student being on that borderline mark? For that matter, it is the practice of some syllabuses to upgrade your results if you are within shouting distance of the borderline between grades. :D Bet you didn't know that, huh? Sorry, though -- I don't know if CIE practices that. :p Grading a paper is not simple math. :)

Reaction score
don't worry..i know...they are just that natured....i wonder why.. but they r like that....don't worry trust me....
concentrate on ur forth coming exams.... :) :good:

Reaction score
my invigilator did teh same thing yesterday but i didnt bother telling her..
anyway ithink that what the invigilator made you to was completely unfair (and stupid too!!) cos ur asking for what's rightfully yours and i dont think that cie will cancel your exam.. that would be totally stupid!! so dont worry :)