• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Can you explain the procedures for the A Level exams?

Reaction score
I am doing my IGCSEs and I have no idea how A Level exams are carried out and prepared for.

I plan to take Mathematics and Physics next year for A Levels, in a year's time.

How many papers are usually there and when and how are the exams taken?

I heard that there are staged examinations...how are they carried out?

What's the best way to prepare for these 2 subjects in a year?

Also, is CIE's A Levels harder or easier than EdExcel A Levels? Different people have different opinions on it but I'd prefer
going for CIE's A Levels.

Reaction score
Rashu712 said:
I am doing my IGCSEs and I have no idea how A Level exams are carried out and prepared for.

I plan to take Mathematics and Physics next year for A Levels, in a year's time.

How many papers are usually there and when and how are the exams taken?

I heard that there are staged examinations...how are they carried out?

What's the best way to prepare for these 2 subjects in a year?

Also, is CIE's A Levels harder or easier than EdExcel A Levels? Different people have different opinions on it but I'd prefer
going for CIE's A Levels.

Well for AL Mathematics, there are 4 papers to take. 2 are compulsory on all candidates, and you are given a choice of 4 from which you choose the other 2 papers. For Math you do not answer on the question paper. You are given an answer booklet where you write out your answers with all the working out.
AL Physics is 5 papers, one of which is multiple choice. The same papers have to be taken by all students. You answer them on the question paper just like IGCSE. Also for Physics, Chemistry and Biology, there's a practical exam. So it is highly recommended to take those subjects with a school, as you need access to a lab for practice.
And I am not sure what you mean by staged examinations, please elaborate.
As I mentioned earlier, to prepare for any of Chemistry, Physics, or Biology, you certainly need a school with a lab. For mathematics, there's nothing particularly special about preparing. Just study the given syllabus well, and answer some past papers for practice.
About Edexcel, I never tried it, I do CIE ALs. However I do hear that Edexcel is easier.

Reaction score
Well for AL Mathematics, there are 4 papers to take. 2 are compulsory on all candidates, and you are given a choice of 4 from which you choose the other 2 papers. For Math you do not answer on the question paper. You are given an answer booklet where you write out your answers with all the working out.
AL Physics is 5 papers, one of which is multiple choice. The same papers have to be taken by all students. You answer them on the question paper just like IGCSE. Also for Physics, Chemistry and Biology, there's a practical exam. So it is highly recommended to take those subjects with a school, as you need access to a lab for practice.
And I am not sure what you mean by staged examinations, please elaborate.
As I mentioned earlier, to prepare for any of Chemistry, Physics, or Biology, you certainly need a school with a lab. For mathematics, there's nothing particularly special about preparing. Just study the given syllabus well, and answer some past papers for practice.
About Edexcel, I never tried it, I do CIE ALs. However I do hear that Edexcel is easier.

uhm which papers are the ones that are compulsory (for math)?

Reaction score
How should be my study plan for a2 level to get an a* in (physics, chemistry , Mathematics,English(as core),Art an design)5 subjects????I have got just one year left!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Enjoy your IGCSE life, buddy. A-Level be hell.

Experience (Y)