• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CAREER COUNSELLING

Reaction score
Hi Again! I don't know if you remember me but i posted a question here months back. I recently got my A Levels and it was a pretty good for me. But now i am attending a university here and i don't know which course to pick up but i finally decided on Mechatronics which is a combination of both Mechanical and Electronic Engineering instead of Computer Science. I know one thing that Computer Science have a masters and PH degrees (which i really want to have both PHD and Masters!) but i am very uncertain of the course i picked which is Mechatronics. I wanted to take my Masters abroad, most likely in Canada, but like i said i am very uncertain of my course having Masters degree too. Is there any way you can help me with this? Thank you! :)
I remember you :p

One thing that you need to know is that to do a masters or doctrate in a sub you dont need to have studied exactly the same one before
for example you can do MBA after you Bachelors in mechatronics and nobody would bat an eye

that said, you dont need to worry about that right now
Just as an example you could do bachelors in mechatronics then masters in aeronautics and a phd in aerodynamics (if you go to the aero industry)

Best of Luck (y)

Reaction score
Economics, Mathematics and/or History/Business Studies/Geography/Thinking Skills or any Humanities or Social Sciences subjects
Hey,i recently got my o level results and am now planning on A levels.I have chosen maths,economics,chem,phy for a level and my main ambition is towards the business side like Bsc and mba from lums or if not then iba.Do you have any idea on requirements and preferences for lums?I had bio in o level but wanted to gain some knowledge about business so i chose eco.Will it have a better effect on my application.And on what grades can you easily get admission.I got 6A*2A in olevels(no bs or below alhamdullilah and As in Isl and Urdu.I gave science subjects along with maths and english) and my aim is to get at least 2A*s in a levels.Will these grades be good enough.And do you have any idea on the system in lums?Like in which major (management science and accounts and finance) is there more potential?Which of them is more preferred by companies.And what kinds of jobs to people who do Bsc or Mba from lums get,and whats the average pay?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hey,i recently got my o level results and am now planning on A levels.I have chosen maths,economics,chem,phy for a level and my main ambition is towards the business side like Bsc and mba from lums or if not then iba.Do you have any idea on requirements and preferences for lums?I had bio in o level but wanted to gain some knowledge about business so i chose eco.Will it have a better effect on my application.And on what grades can y
You easily get admission.I got 6A*2A in olevels(no bs or below alhamdullilah and As in Isl and Urdu.I gave science subjects along with maths and english) and my aim is to get at least 2A*s in a levels.Will these grades be good enough.And do you have any idea on the system in lums?Like in which major (management science and accounts and finance) is there more potential?Which of them is more preferred by companies.And what kinds of jobs to people who do Bsc or Mba from lums get,and whats the average pay?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Your results are great. CONGRATs. With these results and predicted grades you can easily get into LUMS. ALL application requirements are available on their website and you can go through them thoroughly. Yes, economics is a perfect choice for business students.

What are your interests. All majors carry equal weightage. It depends on your interests.

Reaction score
Hi Again! I don't know if you remember me but i posted a question here months back. I recently got my A Levels and it was a pretty good for me. But now i am attending a university here and i don't know which course to pick up but i finally decided on Mechatronics which is a combination of both Mechanical and Electronic Engineering instead of Computer Science. I know one thing that Computer Science have a masters and PH degrees (which i really want to have both PHD and Masters!) but i am very uncertain of the course i picked which is Mechatronics. I wanted to take my Masters abroad, most likely in Canada, but like i said i am very uncertain of my course having Masters degree too. Is there any way you can help me with this? Thank you! :)

Yes there are courses available for these in Canada as well as in Germany and other countries, in many universities. Go through them on their postgraduate websites and you will find.

Reaction score

One thing that you need to know is that to do a masters or doctrate in a sub you dont need to have studied exactly the same one before
for example you can do MBA after you Bachelors in mechatronics and nobody would bat an eye

Just as an example you could do bachelors in mechatronics then masters in aeronautics and a phd in aerodynamics (if you go to the aero industry)

Best of Luck (y)
Yes there are courses available for these in Canada as well as in Germany and other countries, in many universities. Go through them on their postgraduate websites and you will find.

Agreed with Faizan Muhammmad

Reaction score

Best of Luck (y)

Thank you very much for that reply! I can now start my university next month without fear of anything else! Thank you again!!:D:D

Reaction score
Your results are great. CONGRATs. With these results and predicted grades you can easily get into LUMS. ALL application requirements are available on their website and you can go through them thoroughly. Yes, economics is a perfect choice for business students.

What are your interests. All majors carry equal weightage. It depends on your interests.
What do you mean by interests?What are the differences between ACF and management science?And do you have any idea,which major is preferred by more paying companies?

Reaction score
What do you mean by interests?What are the differences between ACF and management science?And do you have any idea,which major is preferred by more paying companies?

Every company has different requirements and they pay accordingly. Some companies prefer Chartered Accountants while others can't afford to get one. Moreover, some companies require consultants in the field of marketing or management etc. So it all depends on what career you want to pursue. If you really like accountancy then you can choose accountancy as major and then professional qualifications like CMA or CPA or ICAP. If you have enough skills to pursue a career in marketing then you can choose marketing as a major. Thus, it all depends on your interests. Somewhere a marketing professional is given higher status than an accountant and vice versa.

Reaction score
Every company has different requirements and they pay accordingly. Some companies prefer Chartered Accountants while others can't afford to get one. Moreover, some companies require consultants in the field of marketing or management etc. So it all depends on what career you want to pursue. If you really like accountancy then you can choose accountancy as major and then professional qualifications like CMA or CPA or ICAP. If you have enough skills to pursue a career in marketing then you can choose marketing as a major. Thus, it all depends on your interests. Somewhere a marketing professional is given higher status than an accountant and vice versa.
Doesnt accounting seem more boring,than marketing?

Reaction score
Hello again......so the subjects that were offered at my school were arranged in "option blocks"....First column had Chem, Accounting, Geo, AICT, Sociology, second column had Physics, Business, History, German and Drama, third column had Maths, Psychology, Literature, Art and Music and the final column had Bio, Econ and French.....I was meant to pick a subject per column....I'm thinking along the lines of Geo, Physics, Maths and French.....does that seem reasonable????

Reaction score
Hello again......so the subjects that were offered at my school were arranged in "option blocks"....First column had Chem, Accounting, Geo, AICT, Sociology, second column had Physics, Business, History, German and Drama, third column had Maths, Psychology, Literature, Art and Music and the final column had Bio, Econ and French.....I was meant to pick a subject per column....I'm thinking along the lines of Geo, Physics, Maths and French.....does that seem reasonable????

Jonathan Rubuubi What about Economics?

Reaction score
Apparently, one doesn't need Economics in A level to do it in Uni, a maths A level will suffice.....

Well, with that I believe this is OK because you have Maths as well as Physics with an addition of a language!!!!! That sounds #PERFECT (y)

Reaction score
Confused about your career? Unsure about what direction to take?
Discover your best
CAREER FIT here.
hlo fahmeed
i am in A2 right now and i am studying maths phy chem and i am more intrested in maths and chem but not phy
so what do u suggest me ....... which fiels should i choose in engineering ?

Reaction score
hlo fahmeed
i am in A2 right now and i am studying maths phy chem and i am more intrested in maths and chem but not phy
so what do u suggest me ....... which fiels should i choose in engineering ?

Hi sateeshkumar engineering has a lot of options. As you don't like physics you may either go for chemical engineering or petroleum/minerals engineering.

Reaction score
hi there, don't think I gave you my results summary in full when I asked about unis like Mcmaster, British Colombia...... I got 2A*s ,5As, 1B,1C, 1D.....got the D in ICT and C in maths, of which I plan maths resits.....do my results form a good basis to target a top uni in Canada, also, does my C in maths count against me, or can that be negated by a better performance in A level?