• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CAREER COUNSELLING

Reaction score
Hello,
I got my IGCSE result this month - 6A*s (Math, Physics, Chemistry, Bio, English, ICT) and 1A (Sociology). I have previously given 3 O Level subjects with 2As in Islamiyat and Pakistan Studies, and 1B in Urdu. So that makes it a total of 6A*s, 3As and 1B.
I have to decide which subjects to take up for AS and A level. I'm planning on taking 3 subjects - Physics and Chemistry for sure along with EITHER Math or Biology.
I haven't been able to decide which career to choose - engineering or medicine? The thing is I really like Math and Chemistry but I've heard from people that engineering scope is decreasing day by day and they do not get paid very well especially in the UAE and other gulf countries (e.g. chemical, aeronautical, electrical engineering). I live in the UAE, but I am from Pakistan. On the other hand, I like Biology too. I find it very interesting. I'd like to become a Radiologist if I do medicine but the drawbacks are that it takes a lot of time, probably 8-10 years or even more to become a successful Radiologist to get good jobs and I won't be able to get many chances to study abroad like in the US/UK/Canada/Australia since they don't accept many students for medicine. People ask me what I am passionate about, but to be very honest, I have absolutely no idea. I am just not able to decide and my AS level starts next month. :( Please help.

First of all, let me clear yourself. Engineering is as good as it was. Many engineers in the Gulf are earning high salaries. I would advise that a proper and a recognised Engineering qualification is respected everywhere. Chemical engineering is very popular especially in Saudi where employees in companies like SABIC, have attractive packages.

Moreover, whatever you study, you need to continue your studies to command high salaries and top positions. Even after doing engineering you need to continue Masters for a better jobs. So I won't be surprised if you spend 8-10 years in medicine, but afterwards enjoy a very healthy package.

As far as foreign universities are concerned, they welcome as many students as possible provided they have excellent results and can afford expensive education. A cheaper pathway would be to do MBBS from Pakistan and then go to the West for further education.

I would suggest go for your passion and strive hard to excel in it and I assure you that you will succeed.

Reaction score
Also, take up a career that you like and can not regret about it the rest of your life.
My parents try to convince me go for engineering but I am not willing because I can't see myself become something that I will regret.
So I am going for a double major towards Applied Mathematics,Statistics and Sociology. :)

AnonymousX9 this is what I want to convey you. Do what you want to do and don't be pressurised by what others say.

Reaction score
I can't take 4 subjects, it will be too hard for me to cope. I have to decide 3 only. My parents want me to do medicine but they said I should choose myself. I feel like doing engineering but I am scared I might not get good jobs. :(

Don't be afraid because of jobs. If you are capable you will get them easily.

Reaction score
someone plzz help me too ... can we get admission in pakistani universities on E grade ? I haveing As in olevels but unfortunately i don't know how i couldn't make up for A levels . I got DDE in alevels :(

Reaction score
First of all, let me clear yourself. Engineering is as good as it was. Many engineers in the Gulf are earning high salaries. I would advise that a proper and a recognised Engineering qualification is respected everywhere. Chemical engineering is very popular especially in Saudi where employees in companies like SABIC, have attractive packages.

Moreover, whatever you study, you need to continue your studies to command high salaries and top positions. Even after doing engineering you need to continue Masters for a better jobs. So I won't be surprised if you spend 8-10 years in medicine, but afterwards enjoy a very healthy package.

As far as foreign universities are concerned, they welcome as many students as possible provided they have excellent results and can afford expensive education. A cheaper pathway would be to do MBBS from Pakistan and then go to the West for further education.

I would suggest go for your passion and strive hard to excel in it and I assure you that you will succeed.

Well what if I feel passionate and interested about both of the fields? It's being really hard for me to decide..

Reaction score
I am currently in A2 with majors in accounting. Previously I had planned to do ACCA but I had heard that it was not much demanding, so I decided to go for either CPA or CMA.
Which of these two is more demanding? Also is there any other degree I could pursue with subjects Maths, Accounts and Business Studies?

Reaction score
What are the prospects of studying Computer Science in Undergraduate?
Would it be better to do double major (Computer Science + Economics).. or just Computer Science alone?

Basically, I want to be an Entrepreneur, so I was thinking I could open a business that relates to Websites/App-Development. Will I need to study Economics at Undergraduate in order to open such a business? Or will a Bachelor in Computer Science suffice?

Reaction score
What are the prospects of studying Computer Science in Undergraduate?
Would it be better to do double major (Computer Science + Economics).. or just Computer Science alone?

Basically, I want to be an Entrepreneur, so I was thinking I could open a business that relates to Websites/App-Development. Will I need to study Economics at Undergraduate in order to open such a business? Or will a Bachelor in Computer Science suffice?

economics is NOT for managing or setting-up businesses ... there are tons of businesses that do websites/app-development and businesses are launched if there is a need (realized or unrealized) and you fulfill that need ... for setting up businesses you will need to know:-

the types of docs for planning:-
1.General planning docs:-
a.Org Design
b.Business Plan
c.Market-survey/research
d.Project Management

2.Planning docs for all functions of an organization: HR, Operations/Supply Chain, Finance/Accounts, Marketing, Legal, IT
3. Process docs for each function mentioned above --- there should be templates online

doing a degree in computer sciences will give you an advantage specially if you can learn the following material mentioned below as well (the advantage of a computer science degree will be that knowing software, programming languages, website development is pretty much standard for starting a business, the other areas such as HR, Finance, Marketing, Operations, are a part of Business Studies in general though they are specailization areas in their own right but computer science is NOT a staple part of Business Studies same goes for Graphic Design - however BBA programs at the top universities provide a VERY wide range of courses to study from so that you can explore your career options), the stuff mentioned below is also taught in good BBA programs but until and unless you do not try it there is no point ... however many good bba programs will NOT focus on project management, org design, processes development, actual workplace docs, financial modelling

one reason being that at the undergrad level the education is very widely spread so that students can explore their career options and another reason is that the people teaching you might be professors or field-employees with specific roles whereas being an entrepreneur requires a lot of information about many areas (deep and wide, practical and theoretical) the only type of an employee who can be compared to an entrepreneur is a generalist consultant or a CEO, however, if you have a very good team working with you it reduces a lot of stress but finding a very good team requires technical knowledge of all the functions of an org, not to mention a bucket load of contacts

with the academic programs there will always be one problem theory rarely holds its ground in practice so in order to weed out the practical from the theoretical info in books, look for real businesses being used as examples, Heizer and Garry Dessler use brilliant examples

so you must learn:-
1.project management (PMP PMBOK),
2.project finance modelling (Corality, and https://www.videofinancialmodelling.com/training/project-finance/),
3.financial modelling in general (BIWS fundamentals course and http://www.exinfm.com/),
4.operations and developing business processes (Heizer & Handbook of Business Process Management Vol 1 & 2),
5.scope of work documents (check online),
5.marketing concepts (Philip Kotler), conducting surveys/research (check online),
6.also learn accounting (BIWS fundamentals course and http://www.exinfm.com/), -- for accounting check point 12
7.developing HR plans/systems on paper (Garry Dessler & check for docs online)
8.business planning (The Economist Guide to Business Planning)
9.Organizational Design (The Economist Guide to Organizational design - Naomi Stanford)

10.Graphic design (Lynda for illustrator, adobe photshop, Graphic Design Solutions 4th Edition) -- graphic design has a 4 year degree of its own like computer science
11. Website development (free tutorials and training acedemies) and ERPs (Recknors)
12. accounting software (quickbooks, peachtree a few academies out there teach using such software Recknors is one example)

the A-levels business studies book is a good reflection of what you will learn in your BBA

btw the guy who started BIWS has a degree in Computer Science from Stanford

Last edited:
Reaction score
for businesses the most important thing is to keep asking questions what, why, how, where, when, who and that is how you will find the answer to every question or solution for every problem

another important thing for running a business would be to understand the links between the functions of a business for example the Operations Function provides the details for the HR Function to do its work, all functions including the Accounting function provide info to the Finance function to represent the expected financial impact on the business, all functions are facilitated by the IT function via the ERP ... this explanation is a VERY simple one with the key principle being how information flows between the different functions for the business to function.. in reality there is a lot of information being exchanged back and forth between different functions (represented by departments) of an org ... for example the appraisals of all employees for ALL functions (even HR) is done via the HR department, the compensation decision is made by the HR but processed by the Accounting function

for all of the above examples org hierarchy has been ignored

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it necessary get A*s in all subjects at IGCSEs and even in A levels to become a doctor ????
Do you think A will work??? And i am really confused at exactly how many subjects i should take by the time i reach A levels. Could you please help me with that?:(:unsure::(

Reaction score
Is it necessary get A*s in all subjects at IGCSEs and even in A levels to become a doctor ????
Do you think A will work??? And i am really confused at exactly how many subjects i should take by the time i reach A levels. Could you please help me with that?:(:unsure::(
who said it that all A*'s are required :eek: ...even A's will work but with A's ur overall equivalence will be low and the chances to enrol in a good uni will decrease.
but if you are applying abroad eg malasiya all they'll need is 3A's at Alevels along with an interview ...but its the interview which matters the most if u apply in uni other then pak and MCAT matters for the admissions in pak.

Reaction score
See the issue here is, you must understand that anyone can get an A* just by doing all pastpaper's and memorising the whole text book. Universities are more interested in how well you can perform in that field rather than how well you can memorise words. However, saying that, try to take one piece at a time. Focus on your IGCSE's at the moment, then worry about what you may or may not work as. You can't eat an elephant all in one bite. Also, don't let anyone tell you what you should consider as a career option based on your gender or ethnicity, that's all worthless crap, has nothing to do with what Universities want.

Reaction score
See the issue here is, you must understand that anyone can get an A* just by doing all pastpaper's and memorising the whole text book. Universities are more interested in how well you can perform in that field rather than how well you can memorise words. However, saying that, try to take one piece at a time. Focus on your IGCSE's at the moment, then worry about what you may or may not work as. You can't eat an elephant all in one bite. Also, don't let anyone tell you what you should consider as a career option based on your gender or ethnicity, that's all worthless crap, has nothing to do with what Universities want.
this was really helpful

Reaction score
Anyone here who could please help me to make my personal statement better ? I've to apply shortly ..
(Can email my personal statement directly with our school career counsellor's comment on it , have to edit it accordingly )

Reaction score
Anyone here who could please help me to make my personal statement better ? I've to apply shortly ..
(Can email my personal statement directly with our school career counsellor's comment on it , have to edit it accordingly )
just send it as a personal message

Reaction score
I am currently doing my A levels. A2 to be exact with engineering subjects.
In AS I got Chem B, Phy B, Math A.
I really love the three subjects and I don't know what to do in the future. I know its going to be engineering, which I am not sure of.
Help.

Reaction score
I am currently doing my A levels. A2 to be exact with engineering subjects.
In AS I got Chem B, Phy B, Math A.
I really love the three subjects and I don't know what to do in the future. I know its going to be engineering, which I am not sure of.
Help.
give the AS-level again if you can .. no problem in trying again ... a year here a year there does not really matter .. if you want to do something related to engineering just google it and see what you want to do .. if you are looking to make the next big innovation in engineering or at-least attempt it like Leslie Dewan (nuclear), Catharine Paukner (graphene) then you have to explore career options and any extra skills you can learn, check the courses on the MIT Open Courseware to get an idea
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/career-guidance.193/
http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=222&threadid=53232
additionally you can check the other posts I have in this thread and others related to careers