• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chem help

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
-(Percentage Yield is actually used to calculate the PERCENTAGE of a product produced COMPARED to the amount you would expect to be produced based on the amount of reactants you started with)

The basic formula for this is- ACTUAL YIELD/Theoretical Yield *100 (actual yield divided by theoretical yield and multiply by 100)
Example:
-Mg(s) + 2HCl(aq) ==> MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)
-Atomic masses : Mg = 24 and Cl = 35.5, and formula mass MgCl2 = 24 + (2 x 35.5) = 95
(a) What is the maximum theoretical mass of magnesium chloride which can be made from 12g of magnesium?
sol:Reacting mass ratio calculation from the balanced equation: 1 Mg ==> 1 MgCl2, so 24g ==> 95g or 12g ==> 47.5g MgCl2

(b) If only 47.0g of purified magnesium chloride was obtained after crystallising the salt from the solution, what is the % yield of the salt preparation?
sol: % yield = actual amount obtained x 100 / maximum theoretical amount possible
-% yield = 47.0 x 100 / 47.5 = 98.9%

Reaction score
can someone please attach their chemistry notes of 0620 .i am going to give paper 32 on 11th please.......

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
These might help :|

Use these as a quick revision tool before entering the Examination Hall

Attachments

• Chemistry_Notes_v16_Extra_11.pdf
    491.8 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
Nibz said:
These might help :|

Use these as a quick revision tool before entering the Examination Hall