• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chem mcq...

Reaction score
Heck NO!
How can the rate decrease for any catalytic reaction..because the rate is supposed to become constant after the formation of products. Rite?

Reaction score
i think as products are formed, the rate of reaction increases. then when one of the products is used up as a catalyst, the products decreases and the yield becomes less. hence, rate of reaction decreases

Reaction score
xHazeMx said:
i think the rate of reaction increases as the products are formed and then it decreases as the products are used up as catalysts .. is it correct?
I dunno, isn't it supposed to be the other way round, if there are catalysts, THEN the reaction occurs *at the steep line in the graph* then when the line becomes straight that's when the reaction is over, But in C why does it decrease?

Reaction score
aquariangurl said:
xHazeMx said:
i think the rate of reaction increases as the products are formed and then it decreases as the products are used up as catalysts .. is it correct?
I dunno, isn't it supposed to be the other way round, if there are catalysts, THEN the reaction occurs *at the steep line in the graph* then when the line becomes straight that's when the reaction is over, But in C why does it decrease?

i m gonna search on the internet about autocatalytic reactions because i dont think its mentioned in my chem notes .. i will let u know when i m done :)

Reaction score
guyxx more difficult mcqs on the way dont go anywhere.....

Attachments

• ;.jpg
    ;.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,189
Reaction score
YEA C is ryt....A is rong...cos A cn only be formed if there was CL2present in there which is not....there is br2 and CL -ve......which cn act as a nucleophile

Reaction score
well to say truth it damnn hard.......bt here u go..and edothermic reaction always leads to a less stable product ...think it other way round....and u ll understand that decoposition of product will be exothermic which means it ll be real quick....so remeber...exothermic are the ones that occur quickly leading to a stable product....so here diamond will be less stable...less stable means less energy of atomisation and bond energy lower than graphite....how wud u account for enthlapy change of combustion....well thats the freaky part..

Carbon occurs in two forms: graphite and diamond. The enthalpy of combustion of graphite is -393.5 kJ, and that of diamond is -395.4 kJ

C(graphite) + O2(g) -> CO2(g) DH = -393.5 kJ

C(diamond) + O2(g) -> CO2(g) DH = -395.4 kJ

Calculate DH for the conversion of graphite to diamond

What we want is DH for the reaction:

C(graphite) -> C(diamond)

C(graphite) + O2(g) -> CO2(g) DH = -393.5 kJ

CO2(g) -> C(diamond) + O2(g) DH = +395.4 kJ

C(graphite) -> C(diamond) DH = +1.9 kJ

Reaction score
WOW! the only thing i didnt understand in this question before was that freaky enthalpy change part which u made it clear now .. thanks :)